Different reso weights for different toms?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Given that a 12" tom and a 16" fl tom (for example) vibrate heads differently based on diameter and shell volume, I figured it might make sense to use thinner weight resos on 10-12" toms, med weight on 13-14", and heavier weight 16-18" toms, so that the vibe would be more consistent across the toms. For Evans, that could be G1, G12 and G14 respectively, with the batter staying the same on all.

Has anyone tried this, or am I going to be the guinea pig?

Bermuda

C.M. Jones

In my drumming history, you'll be my lab rat. I've never attempted this experiment. For thirty-six years, I've used Ambassador-weight resos on all my toms. Of course, achieving a consistent vibe is something of a subjective perception, but from the standpoint of physics, your hypothesis makes sense. I look forward to your report of your findings.

yammyfan

The logic seems sound.

I've done something similar in the past, using Ambassador weight batters on rack toms whilst using Emperors on floor toms. Not exactly what you're proposing, but with a similar goal. I didn't care for the difference in feel, however. Your idea would address that nicely (y)

C.M. Jones

Seems backwards to me. Since 10" toms sustain less, I'd vote for the thick heads on the small tom, for the most sustain, and thin head resos on the floor toms so they don't sustain too long.
That was my immediate calculation as well, as thin resos provide less sustain, not more. It's why I stated that a "consistent vibe" is subjective in light of the sound you want to achieve. Your sound could be "more consistent" by allowing small drums to resonant less, giving them even more focus, and letting large drums resonate more, giving them a broader presence. The drummer must define "consistent" for himself.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have tried a two-ply reso head on my floor toms and kept G1 or equivalent on my smaller rack Toms. My goal though was 2 dampen the sustain a little bit on the floor toms because they'd ring forever. I have since went back to a single ply on Different Drums though then the ones I had to Plies on. I actually have a Evans HD dry vented on the bottom of my 14 by 12 inch floor tom now and it's pretty good. My 14 by 14 has a single ply underneath.

drumnut87

ive done this with some of my toms, ive used aquarians classic clear onmy floor toms, and their thinner hi-frequency reso heads on my toms, it certainly produces a noticeable tone difference and feel! at least to my hands and ears it did :)

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've used two-ply heads on the bottom of my floor toms before. I don't think it made them sound better than using a one-ply head, it just didn't sound worse either.

bermuda

Staff member
I'm definitely a fan of 1-ply for the reso. So much of the tone/sustain comes from that head and I want it to sing as much as possible.

I've never had an issue with a reso not sounding good, I just wondered if there's any merit to dialing them in for the particular drum. My toms usually sound great, but if they could be somehow better, I'd like to pursue that!

C.M. Jones

A note about double-ply reso heads. Though a thick single-ply (Ambassador) will resonate more than a thin single-ply (Diplomat), that equation falls apart as we enter double-ply territory. Though a double-ply is thick, the second ply inhibits the movement of the first, leading to reduced resonance overall. A double-ply reso head deadens sound for the most part.

iCe

Given that a 12" tom and a 16" fl tom (for example) vibrate heads differently based on diameter and shell volume, I figured it might make sense to use thinner weight resos on 10-12" toms, med weight on 13-14", and heavier weight 16-18" toms, so that the vibe would be more consistent across the toms. For Evans, that could be G1, G12 and G14 respectively, with the batter staying the same on all.

Bermuda
Haven't tried it, but it does makes sense when i think about my guitar: every string has a different gauge for a certain sound, so the top strings are heavy and the bottom strings are light (could be that top is bottom or the otherway around, I'm a guitarn00b). The lighter strings produce they higher notes while the thicker strings produce the lower notes. Could apply that to resos as well, since a lot of drummers use 1 ply heads on the 8/10/12 toms and double ply on the floor toms.

timmdrum

Silver Member

Bermuda
I recall participating in a thread on here about this a few years back, but discussing this for the batter heads- G1, G12, and G14 on 10, 12, and 14" toms, respectively. I don't recall if anyone ever tried it.

KamaK

Platinum Member

Go for it. I'm still unable to reconcile why anyone would ever use anything other than Ambassador/Ambassador or G1/G1.

Are you really hearing a timbre mismatch between your toms?

cbphoto

Gold Member

Bermuda
I thought you were a Reso 7 user.

🤔 🔮

I predict you’ll hear much fuller sounds from your toms. They won’t sound as thin as when using a Reso 7 head. I predict you’ll hear subtle differences between each thickness, but that won’t translate to anything significant when a drum is mic’d up.

And, due to the much longer, fuller resonance of the toms, you’ll revert back to the Reso 7 when in the studio.

Anyone else wanna try my crystal ball?

bermuda

Staff member
I thought you were a Reso 7 user.

🤔 🔮

I predict you’ll hear much fuller sounds from your toms. They won’t sound as thin as when using a Reso 7 head. I predict you’ll hear subtle differences between each thickness, but that won’t translate to anything significant when a drum is mic’d up.

And, due to the much longer, fuller resonance of the toms, you’ll revert back to the Reso 7 when in the studio.

Anyone else wanna try my crystal ball?
I have been using Reso7s since they came out, and I love them! I'm just wondering if there are better sounds lurking in other reso choices. I always keep my eyes and ears open.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
Are you really hearing a timbre mismatch between your toms?
Yes, and I've always accepted it as the difference between sizes: small tom sounds small, big tom sounds big. I don't really expect a 10" tom to sing like a floor tom, that might actually be weird anyway. But I'd like to reduce the disparity between the small and large toms, and see if that's a good thing.

Might be, might not be. That's why I asked the question. If someone's gone there and it didn't work, I can save some time.

Bermuda

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Seems backwards to me. Since 10" toms sustain less, I'd vote for the thick heads on the small tom, for the most sustain, and thin head resos on the floor toms so they don't sustain too long.
I put a reso 7 on my 12" tom and it killed it, so went back to the 10mil I had. I was going to experiment with thicker yet, before I was banished to silent drumming, so will have to wait for the experiment to play out.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I did this in the opposite way like @larryace mentioned. I have a Ludwig Giglite that was one of my main around town gig kits. The toms, 10x5 and 13x6, are very small and direct mounted. With the 10 being so shallow, it was not well balanced with the "floor". It wasn't a big deal as I was typically mic'd with a kick and an overhead under the ride, pointed at the snare, and between the two toms, but I wanted to tinker.

I wanted to beef up the sound of the little 10x5 rack tom, so I put a clear G12 on the reso side with a coated G1 on the batter. It brought the head sustain up, and I was able to tune up a little higher without choking the tom out. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was perceivable.

The 13x6 mounted-to-the-kick floor has a clear G1 reso and a coated G1 batter.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Yes, and I've always accepted it as the difference between sizes: small tom sounds small, big tom sounds big. I don't really expect a 10" tom to sing like a floor tom, that might actually be weird anyway. But I'd like to reduce the disparity between the small and large toms, and see if that's a good thing.
I think I get what you're hearing now.

Unfortunately, my solution to the RT/FT disproportion was to run 13R/14F/16F. It covers over the discrepancy by grouping three similar volumetric increments. I cannot imagine that this works for a greater quantity of toms.

Have you ever had a discussion with Ludwig about this? I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.

bermuda

Staff member
Have you ever had a discussion with Ludwig about this? I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.
It's not really a drum design thing (given that the plies and edges are are the same on all size toms) and it's not a head thing. It's strictly a personal pursuit. I'm very happy with my current sounds and head choices. But if there's something better, I wouldn't mind being ecstatic!

Sorta like my kick pedal. I love the Atlas pedal, but I still want to know if there's something even better.

Bermuda