Different hihat tensions

I made a video on how different hihat felt tensions effect the sound. Covid 19 has made me very bored.

Oh sorry. Mods I put this in the wrong category.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
TBH - when people complained about the Yamaha Crosstown hi hat not being able to adjust spring tension, I almost fell for it when I realized with all the hi hats I’ve owned with spring tension adjustment, I’ve never adjusted the spring. I just took it out of the box and played it. I may rethink this position, but that’s where I’m at so far.

wraub

I have a basic stand without tension adjustment, and a "fancier" stand with, and sometimes the simplicity of the basic one wins out.
It's the same all the time, and there's no confusion about settings or adjustments.
It just is, and does. Worthwhile sometimes when I just want to play.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I have a basic stand without tension adjustment, and a "fancier" stand with, and sometimes the simplicity of the basic one wins out.
It's the same all the time, and there's no confusion about settings or adjustments.
It just is, and does. Worthwhile sometimes when I just want to play.
It never occurred to me that I should be fiddling with the spring tension. So I never did. To think of all the extra time I could’ve spent before actually playing music! Dammit.

Ransan

It never occurred to me that I should be fiddling with the spring tension. So I never did. To think of all the extra time I could’ve spent before actually playing music! Dammit.
I too just recently set up pedals and went to town so to speak.
Knowing about their features beforehand, I took my Pearl H1050 Eliminator hh stand as well as the Pearl P3002 Demonator double pedal like it was simply plug and play.
May tinker with later, but I am content.

rhumbagirl

!!!!!!!OOPS I'M TALKING ABOUT SPRING TENSION...........BEGIN!!!!!!
I admit I don't give much thought to spring tension other than at time of purchase. That said, I would think the upper bound of the tension range should be based on the weight of one's leg for toe down, hi-hat closed tight (including leg strength, tossing in the endurance factor over a long set). The lower bound is enough spring tension to keep the hihats open with the heel down, toe up.

Of course, the other factor in limiting the upper bound is you don't want so much tension that you can't execute swishy half closed hats. Somewhere in there is where the Pearl cam action comes into play (eg on Pearl H-2000).

I've been playing the Tama Cobra 200 HiHat lately. There's no cam. It's lighter and cheaper. And who wants to gig with their best stuff anyway??
!!!!!!!OOPS I'M TALKING ABOUT SPRING TENSION...........END!!!!!!

Last edited:
Yes just the cymbal felts,.. To adjust the sway of the top hihat cymbal. started with the felts as tight as possible. ended with them as loose as possible.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
When I play a shared kit I nearly always find the top cymbal really tight, which I find stifles the sound, especially half open. I also like the bottom cymbal high on my side, tilting away from me, which makes a smooth top edge to reduce sticks getting chewed and also makes a quicker responding half open sound.