Difference between TALENTED and GIFTED??

What is it?
Does it simply mean that a gifted drummer has a better sense of rhythm and can pull off stuff no one else can, yet the talented drummer can work hard to get up to that standard.
I thought that technique had to be sort of programmed into our muscle memory before we could use it in our playing...correct me if I' m wrong tho, does that mean that a gifted drummer who has no idea about technique can t express his ideas, it s not like we re born with technique?

To me, and this isn't just in drumming but in anything, gifted is something that is natural, and talent is something that is earned. I think the idea of the phrase "gifted," and I don't want to start a religious discussion but am just talking word origin, comes from the idea of "being gifted by God," while talent is something that can be built up with practice...

Kind of like "gifted" is another word for "natural talent," where talent is simply being good at something, regardless of why.

Semantics.

Agreed.................................

From our friends at wikipedia....Talent is generally considered to be an innate, personal gift possessed by relatively few people. In essence, someone with talent has an aptitude to do certain things.

Talent (in the sense of natural ability or giftedness) is not the same as skill, which is a learned process, and one which is enhanced or inhibited by an underlying talent. It may also refer to:

I always wondered about this in high school where there were several of us drummers. We would compare notes on how long each of us had been playing, but there was one guy who'd been playing for two years who was much better than another guy who'd been playing for four.

I started thinking that it had more to do with the number of hours you put in on the kit than the number of years you'd owned a kit.

But there was another guy who put in the hours. He was obsessing over clean double-stroke rolls and paradiddles and whatnot. He also was the one figuring out how to read and everything else that was important for high school band. Yet he wasn't very inspiring on the kit because he had no fire, no sense of, "hey this is the funnest thing in the world!"; it was all serious stuff and he was a stickler for the "rules" - not very adventurous.

I really think that it's the ability to see things new as through the eyes of a child, finding fresh approaches to old problems, and developing enough technique to execute what one hears in ones head that makes one "gifted" or "talented."

Last edited:
Good comments.

The semantics of "gifted" when it comes to drumming makes me think of people who are real naturals - they are super-coordinated physically and there are fewer blocks to free musical expression than for most of us.

Take this vid of Gene. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRjQzSwmEHw

Look at the end when he plays the matchbox with great time and feel - and without lighting a match. They don't teach you that at school.

Or how abut Papa Jo in this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5uROxVUkA4

Some people have just "got it". When you see a really gifted musician it's astonishing. A while ago I saw a gig by blues guitarist, Jeff Lang. Amazing. Not just what he played but the richness and depth of it. It's that richness and depth that separates the truly gifted from the rest of us IMO - the difference between sounding good and sounding fabulous

To me, and this isn't just in drumming but in anything, gifted is something that is natural, and talent is something that is earned. I think the idea of the phrase "gifted," and I don't want to start a religious discussion but am just talking word origin, comes from the idea of "being gifted by God," while talent is something that can be built up with practice...

Kind of like "gifted" is another word for "natural talent," where talent is simply being good at something, regardless of why.
"Natural talent" is a pleonasm. Talent is always natural and to be talented is the same as being gifted. Skills can be built up with practice, but not talent.

I would say that gifted drummers are capable of learning and developing techniques easier. I am the only one with any music talent in my family, both my brother an sister have tried to learn to play instruments but had to really practice and work hard to understand things that seemed easy to me. Also being a drum teacher it is very obvious that some students pick things up much faster and much easier than others. Talent can be obtained even if you are not gifted, it will just take much more work than someone who is gifted. I play guitar also and even though I practice and play a lot, I cannot play solo's like many of my friends. I just don't have that natural speed. While one of my friends can play very fast, and practices only half as much as I do.

I really think that it's the ability to see things new as through the eyes of a child, finding fresh approaches to old problems, and developing enough technique to execute what one hears in ones head that makes one "gifted" or "talented."
Nice passage! (that wasn't an anatomical observation). Interpretation is the key building block skill. Everything after that is execution.

Semantics.

Technically, both refer to "natural" ability to do something well. However, I would see talented as a highly skilled drummer who got that way through lots of practice and perhaps lessons. A gifted drummer would be one whose abilities are also highly developed but has that something extra that is innate. Gifted would be similar to charisma; you either have it or you don't. So of course it is just a matter of semantics ("the meaning of language").

GJS

I´ve been hearing this myself. People calling other people gifted and talented, when the artist has practiced hard to get to where he´s at.
Jojo for example, started early and catch´d on pretty easily. He would be nowhere though, if he had´nt practiced. He said he was more or less self-thought though, so maybe It´s just how much help you need with getting to a higher level. I also see a lot of young talents fading away, since they´ve never met any obstacles, and then when they finally do, they quit because It´s too hard. I dunno.
Bah, brain hurts..

I'm agreeing with the above. Talented implies a lot of work. Gifted implies not much was needed.

A guy who's been drumming for 30 years and can do everything under the sun without breaking a sweat is talented. A fifteen year old kid that's playing along with Keith Moon after less than a year on the seat is gifted.

It's like the rectangle and square. A square is a rectangle but a rectangle may not be a square.

You can be talented without being gifted but if you're gifted, you surely talented... ***Hum... scratching my chin***

I'm thinking just the opposite. If you are talented that is your gift. Some people are born beautiful, like some models, that is their gift. Some talented, that is their gift.

But talent can be acquired is the point. Put in enough work and you can become very talented, even if it's a slow process. If you're GIFTED, it comes to you naturally.

Back