Diecast hoops!

Hey guys I just have some quick questions for you!

I'm looking to get some diecast hoops for my 14in rack and my 16in floor and I was wondering what are your favorite and tried and true brands? Not very experienced with diecast hoops at all. I was also thinking about cutting my bass drum from 22x18 to a 22x14. What are some of the pros and cons, if any, of having a shallower kick drum?

pgm554

Platinum Member
Pearl Mastercast are probably the most well known.
They also have something called a fat tone hoop which comes on their Reference series.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
There have been a couple recent threads about cutting down bass drums, so I'd check some of those out to get some first hand experiences about it. The short answer is it changes both the tone and the feel of the drum.

As for die cast hoops, those change both the tone and feel too. Is there something about your toms right now that you don't like, or are the die casts just for an "upgrade?"

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
An alternative option is 3mm thick flanged hoops. They come in double and triple flanged styles.
I installed a set of double flanged 3mm Gretsch hoops on my vintage 50's Broadcaster kit and I love them. They are in between 2.3mm flanged and die cast.

As for die cast hoops, those change both the tone and feel too. Is there something about your toms right now that you don't like, or are the die casts just for an "upgrade?"[/QUOTE]

The hoops that I'm working with now are quite bent outta shape due to some unfortunate mishaps hahaha.