Didn't get the gig - but it's okay

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Well last Saturday I had an audition with a Texas country band.

They wanted me to audition to 5 songs: Toby Keith's "I'm not as good as I once was", Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville, the Beatles "Honey Don't", which I asked here if Ringo was playing a shuffle on the hats - he was (Thanks Gruntersdad, that video helped solve the problem!), George Straight's "I just wanna dance with you" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Gimme 3 Steps". The Skynyrd song they didn't tell me until about 5 seconds before we played it - they replaced another song with it, so naturally I didn't have it rehearsed or worked up.

This whole band was kinda bizzare since they were billing themselves as pure c and w, with some southern rock thrown in but they had 4 hours of material they wanted to do - from ZZ Top, CCR, Drive by Truckers, Old 97s, Skynyrd, Beatles, Elvis, Buffet to Hank Williams, 1,2, and 3 to George Jones, Merle Haggard, ect. Not exactly pure c and w, but I thought whatever, I'll just show up and audition and see what happens.

They had an old Pearl Export set up so I didn't have to bring my kit, Sabian B8 cymbals, and aweful drum heads that had seen better days and really needed tuning. But, I didn't pay it any attention, I was there to audition.

The Toby Keith song, Buffet's "Margaritaville", and Beatles "Honey Don't" went great, especially the Beatles. All 3 of the guys complimented me after each song, so I was feeling Okay.

Then they switched on me and went for Skynyrd's "Gimme 3 Steps", saying they knew it wasn't on my song list, they just wanted me to play it and "show them something different".

Yeah, I showed them something different alright, I really sucked on it! Because 1) I've lived in Texas all my life and was nurtured on southern rock, but have never PLAYED the damn song ever, and 2) I never practiced it for this audtion because I never knew they'd pull this.

So the 4th and 5th song I worked up and spent time practicing and learning, we never played. Gee, thanks felllas for wasting my time! But I didn't let on I was sorta po'd; I just kept smilin' and answering questions, like where I work and what I do for a living....

Anyway, after the audition I packed up and went home, thinking maybe I had the gig. Well the "leader" emailed and said they thought I was good, but they decided to go with someone else instead. I'm okay with it since I didn't really desire to play all that c and w stuff and I think I bothered them since I mainly play rock, jazz, and blues. They were a new band, just getting together and told me they were wanting to get between $75 - $100 per man per gig. Immediately I knew that probably wasn't possible around the D/FW area since I know many bands that have been around much longer and can only get $50 a man if they're lucky. But I didn't argue. What was the point?

Anyway, that was my Saturday....

Zickos

Gold Member
Re: Gimmie Three Steps: Sounds like they wanted to hear what you could do on the fly.

If you're not comfortable with their repertoire it's probably a good thing you didn't get the gig after all. You wouldn't have been happy and if the drummer ain't happy... I had two auditions like that.

Florian

Gold Member
50 bux per man per gig?.....run away from that. I wouldnt even pack my stuff up for that kinda dough.

F

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sorry to hear that Rouge...Country stuff can be fun, there's some great great country songs out there. It sounded like it would have been a fun band. I'm a little surprised that even though you never played G3S before, you must have heard it a few hundred times, you said you were nurtured on Southern Rock. I don't understand how if you know the tune that well in your head, how can you not play it? There's no real heavy lifting there, just knowing the arrangement. Sorry if that seems insensitive. Were THEY good players? HOW can you live in Texas and not play G3S for crying out loud lol. :)

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Ha I'm asking that myself Larry! Yeah, you are correct sir. I have heard G3S a million times, and danced to it a hundred times, but never really paid attention to it musically enough to know the arrangement I guess. I flubbed the breaks. I was a bit surprised myself that I didn't know it any better than I did.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Ha I'm asking that myself Larry! Yeah, you are correct sir. I have heard G3S a million times, and danced to it a hundred times, but never really paid attention to it musically enough to know the arrangement I guess. I flubbed the breaks. I was a bit surprised myself that I didn't know it any better than I did.
Haha, it goes like that sometimes. One night this couple tipped us a pretty obscene amount to play some song we don't really play - I can't remember what the song was, but it was something a bunch of geezers like us had all heard before. Bass player looked at me like "Do you know it?" I said, "I've heard it before, I think I can pull it off." The guys picked a key, and off we went! I soon realized I didn't know it anything like I thought I did! I sucked wind, bad. But the couple was happy and laughing, we got our tip, and I was thankful that wasn't MY audition. lol

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
LOL. I guess it happens to the best of us. When these guys wanted to play G3S, I thought, ok, I've heard this ever since I can remember, so I can play it. Wrong! Man, I stunk it up. Not only did I mess up the breaks, but I couldn't even put in some decent fills. As Larry said, no heavy lifting there, but I played like I just heard it for the first time. Oh well, live and learn, eh? Ha!

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Sorry to hear you didn't get the gig - maybe it is for the better - seems like a strange mix of music they play.

I play and sing lead on Gimme Three Steps, and it can be a challenge to play even after you've done it dozens of times. To complicate things more, I volunteered to start the song off with a little drum solo before the rest of the band jumps in. I also play and sing lead on Sweet Home Alabama, so I'm well versed in Skynyrd, but only after a lot of rehearsing. Trying to play Gimme Three Steps without any practice is a tall order.

Our band has been adding 2-3 new songs for each gig we're playing (about once a month). It's amazing how easy songs seem to be when you have been singing along to them for years. But when you try to work out the songs at band practice, they are a lot more complicated then they first seemed. It usually takes us at least 2 practices to get a song down reasonably well, playing the song at least a half dozen times during each practice.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Same thing happened to me before. It was Born to Be Wild though. Flubbed the breaks and the licks.

G3S was tricky for me to learn. Having heard it thousands of times I thought I knew it but I didn't ignore the guitar parts, which I think you have to do on this song (rhythm wise) so you can keep it straight. Flubbed the breaks too but I still think that they might not have played it like I remember it from the album. It was messy.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Same thing happened to me before. It was Born to Be Wild though. Flubbed the breaks and the licks.

G3S was tricky for me to learn. Having heard it thousands of times I thought I knew it but I didn't ignore the guitar parts, which I think you have to do on this song (rhythm wise) so you can keep it straight. Flubbed the breaks too but I still think that they might not have played it like I remember it from the album. It was messy.
That's too ironic, we just learned Born To Be Wild, and I sing that one as well. Fortunately I played and sang that song way back 20 years ago.

G3S is slightly different depending on whether you play the studio version vs. the well-known live version.

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I got lucky yesterday when the radio station I was listening to on the way home from work played G3S. What the guys at this audition played and what was on the radio as the same song title was completely different. I guess I never heard it played live, but what they played was tweeked so far from the original it was sort of difficult at first to tell what these guys were playing.

I chalk it up to experience. I emailed the leader back after he gave me word they went with someone else and told him to keep me in mind if they need a sub or if he knows of another band looking for a drummer. Might as well keep it above board and cordial. Who knows, they may actually come through.