did you know coke can make your drums shine?

Taylor8524

My buddy told me about this and I was curious so I tried it out. I can actually see my reflection through the tom toms. The drum kit never looked this good before. Pour a little bit of coke onto a cloth and gently whipe it all around the shells of your drums. Wait 10 minutes and damp another cloth lightly with water. Make sure to get all the spots so the drum kit wont be sticky after. If you forget to whipe it down with a wet cloth the coke will eat away at the paint so make sure you do that if you are gonna try it. From my experience this is permanent I did it almost a year ago and it has looked the same ever since.

jer

Silver Member
Folks use it to clean engines, as well. Does a good job of breaking up oil and grime, tooth enamel, stomach walls, rye.

mmmm..... fructose...

Who's gonna soak a cymbal in Coke for a few hours to let us know what happens?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
At first, I thought you were talking about the *other* coke. Well, YEAH, it makes EVERYTHING shine! Duh! :p

When you see what the acidity of a Coke will do to a dirty engine or cymbal, it's a wonder you see people still drinking the poison...

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I think it's the phosphoric acid, mainly. I wouldn't have thought fructose is going to do anything other than make things sticky.

N

nhzoso

I will stick to my old pledge wipes once a month.. alot less work and no danger of damaging that gorgeous finish I paid so much for : )

Red Menace

Platinum Member
When you see what the acidity of a Coke will do to a dirty engine or cymbal, it's a wonder you see people still drinking the poison...
The acid that's already in your stomach to break down food is a lot stronger than anything you'd find in a bottle of soda.

+1 for the cymbal soaked in coke. C'mon people, this is for science!

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I think it's the phosphoric acid, mainly. I wouldn't have thought fructose is going to do anything other than make things sticky.
The carbonation also may have a lot to do with it. The fizzing breaks loose dirt on a micro level. Instead of Coke, I would use soda water (which has no sugars, coloring, etc.) and vinegar to clean stuff up.

Homeularis

Gold Member
Cant we just find out the active cleaning ingrediants of Coke and just use them.
I dont want any of that sugar on my kit. That just seems crazy IMO.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
The acid that's already in your stomach to break down food is a lot stronger than anything you'd find in a bottle of soda.
Bile is basic, not acidic. If anything, theoretically (but not practically), they would neutralize each others' PHs in your stomach.

Fun fact: Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola syrups, when carried by truck, have to have one of those "hazardous: corrosive materials" signs on the truck by law...

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Bile is produced in the liver, not the stomach. Gastric acid has a p.h. of 1-2.
Sorry...I don't know WHY I was thinking "stomach" and talking "small intestine". Sheesh--speaking of acid, it's time for my second cup of coffee...

Toad

I think Taylor might be getting the shine from the sugar, and could get the same results with sugar water. I can't test my theory, I don't have any Coke or Pepsi. Yeah, I realize he rinsed it off though.

According to a friend of mine, back in the olden days before Armor All etc., guys would make their car tires shiny with sugar water.

Then again, I might be full of baloney! :)