Did you have to grow to like your Paiste sound edges?

Road Bull

Silver Member
So I recently picked up some SWEET Paiste 2002s here and there, and they have taken over cymbal duty on my kit. I have acquired a 22" Crash, a 24" Ride, and a 24" Al's Big Ride (crash). I couldn't be much happier with those cymbals.

I have been thinking about picking up some Paiste hats though. Now, I know they have tons of people playing them and they sound great on recordings. My questions is did they sound like "the ones" when you first hit them?

My background is Zildjian and New Beats in the hat department. I love them but have been thinking about finding a good set of Paiste hats to change it up. I was surprised the first time I hit 14", and even 15" 2002 Sound Edges. They sounded a lot lighter, and fairly thin. I think in the MIX, other recordings, they sound great and don't stick out as being thin at all. I remember reading somewhere, and experiencing, that some things that don't sound great from the throne, sound great out away from the kit. Keep in mind that I am not saying that they don't sound "great" or anything. I am just interested in what the community's experience happened to be.

I have been listening to lots of Paiste sound clips on their website. I have been going back and forth between the Signatures and different Sound Edges. I sort of liked some of the Wild Hats, but am not sure if they would be as flexible with subtleties as some of Paiste's other offerings. They have a super nice trashy sound when sloshing, but they may be a little focused on what they do well to cover my other sounds that I am looking for.

So what Sound Edge Paiste hats do you have and why?

Thanks for reading,

-RB

opentune

Platinum Member
Wow those are all big cymbals

I had 14 Sound Edge 2oo2's. they were nice for 'cut' in a live band, but over time I found they were too 'tinny' to my ears. I wish I had got a 15 inch set, so a lower pitch and less of that tone. I eventually migrated through 5 other sets of hats to settle on some 15 Dream Bliss, which sound a lot like K's.

I think 15 New Beats may be what you're looking for and will blend fine with your nice set of 2oo2's.

I have GB and 2002 crashes and rides, but find I prefer the tone of B20 alloys in hihats, in general.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Nope. Loved 'em right out of the box.

Like you I played Zildjians for many years. Have various Zilly hats including 14" New Beats and A Mastersounds and a set of 13" K/Z Specials. I'd always loved the Paiste shimmer though, so when I finally bought the Giant Beat ride and two multi's I wanted to some B8 hats to pair with them. I settled on the 15" 2002 SE's. It was a sound instantly so familiar to me as it's a sound I'd heard on so many recordings.

I much prefer the rippled bottom Paiste's to my rippled bottom Zildjian MS's. Way more cut, clarity and crispness without the clunkyness or harshness that I find with my MS. Just all round far more musical to my ear.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Wow those are all big cymbals

I had 14 Sound Edge 2oo2's. they were nice for 'cut' in a live band, but over time I found they were too 'tinny' to my ears. I wish I had got a 15 inch set, so a lower pitch and less of that tone. I eventually migrated through 5 other sets of hats to settle on some 15 Dream Bliss, which sound a lot like K's.

I think 15 New Beats may be what you're looking for and will blend fine with your nice set of 2oo2's.

I have GB and 2002 crashes and rides, but find I prefer the tone of B20 alloys in hihats, in general.

Yes they are rather large. I am not always playing loud. I find that those larger crashes, and the ride, have a lot of flexibility that I like. No it's not going to ever really sound like a 16" crash, but you don't always have to lay into them to find nice sounds. I really love the way Paiste 2002's open up and shimmer. The ride has a perfect amount of wash for me.

I play in louder Sabbath-esk type of band and they sit in the overall sound in a great place. I just figured that I might want to try some hats that that compliment the vibe that my 2002's are creating.

When I hear them, (SE's), in some live settings with other bands, they sound nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DunYDKgZwyE <<Kyuss Lives

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-KjztYK9iY <<The Melvins (Paiste, but no SE me thinks, contrary to what Paiste says they are using.)

I have heard some Dream bliss and Energy. They sound pretty sweet. I also played some 15" K light hats this weekend that sounded pretty nice too.

Like you I played Zildjians for many years. Have various Zilly hats including 14" New Beats and A Mastersounds and a set of 13" K/Z Specials. I'd always loved the Paiste shimmer though, so when I finally bought the Giant Beat ride and two multi's I wanted to some B8 hats to pair with them. I settled on the 15" 2002 SE's. It was a sound instantly so familiar to me as it's a sound I'd heard on so many recordings.

I much prefer the rippled bottom Paiste's to my rippled bottom Zildjian MS's. Way more cut, clarity and crispness without the clunkyness or harshness that I find with my MS. Just all round far more musical to my ear.
So far the two SE hi-hats that I have liked the most are 15" 2002's and the 14" Signatures. Although, to my ear, the Signatures sound a little less thin than the 2002's. I just kind of wonder if the 2002's just end up blending better overall with the music, as opposed to being right next to them.

SteveLC

I like the Signature Sound Edges myself but I find my 14" 2002 Heavy Hats to be a little more versatile. The 2002 Heavys aren't nearly as heavy in weight as other maker's heavy hi hats. They are definitely not "clangy" and they are surprisingly controllable. I find them to be crisp and articulate with a beautiful warm open sound. Give'em a try! :)

T

The Old Hyde

Mine are Alpha Metal sound edge and I loved them at the first chink with my pedal.

savudin

I have 2002 black label SE hats and I didn't liked them when I first got them, they sounded a bit harsh to me. Now I like them very much, maybe sometimes they can be a little loud to my ears when played open, but I can live with that.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I don't own any but I tried the 15 se and I thought they were too much.

15's really are a different beast too. I have 13, 14 and just got some 15 hats and overall they're louder, lower and their size makes them that little but heavier that you lose a little response. I got used to it though.

I really like the 14" 2002 and I would go with those over the 15's.

Also gotta say, I would worry more about how the hats sound to myself rather than the audience.. 99% of them won't notice or care.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I had 14" 2002 SEs and they were a little high pitched for me. I went to 15" 2002 SEs and am very happy.

I have all 15" hats now. The lower pitch sounds more in tune with the rest of the kit IMO.

Anyway, the SEs are lighter than some people think. They feel absolutely incredible under the stick, have a nice shimmering quality (like all Paistes), and can REALLY cut through when you need it. They can be played to sound more mellow if desired, but the SE bottom probably isn't THE best option for quiet settings.

G-2

Like many here, I grew up on Zildjians. I played 14" new beats, then 14" quick beats. I played those for most of the time when I was younger. Mid 90's I got hold of some Paiste Signature 12" Heavy Hats, which I flipped upside down and played for 10 years. I've always liked a heavy (bottom weight) top cymbal. I also like a very bright 'chick' from my foot played hats. I'm now playing a 15" Signature Heavy Bottom (1451grams) over a 15" Signature Sound Edge Bottom (1319grams). They work great whether I'm using brushes or playing something from the current rock n roll list. Paiste cymbals sounded just like I wanted them to, the first time I played them.

Before I got rid of my last Zildjian set up, my hi hats consisted of 2 - K Bottom hats. I played one over the other, and they were heavy. Weights were 1552grams and 1569grams. Paiste heavy cymbals (in my experience) are far lighter than most of the Zildjian and Sabian heavy cymbals I've seen and used.

Ruok

Silver Member
Ah! My favorite topic!

I'm a sound edge fanatic. I own 2002, 3000, and 602 Sound Edge hats. I hated them the first time I played a 14" 2002 SE hi-hat in a drum shop back in the mid 1980s. I thought that the 2002s SEs had too many strange frequencies going on. I was very surprised to hear a lot of low tones coming from them too, since I had only heard comments about their brightness. Though they are very bright, they have a lot of lows and mids as well. In other words, I found that they have very broad frequencies, from low to high. Maybe others hear them differently? I don't know.

What I learned was that the 2002 SEs do tend to sound much better on recordings. Amazing in fact! I also believe it makes a big difference on how they are played. I know that is true with any hi-hat, but, to me, it is more apparent with the 2002 SE hi-hat. What I mean is that I love the sound of the 2002 SE when played primarily with the tip of the stick. If drummers mostly play the edge using the shoulder of the stick, I usually don't care for the sound as much. It sounds too loud, washy and obnoxious that way. If played mostly with the tip of the stick on the body of the top cymbal, and use only the edge of the cymbals using the shoulder of the stick for accents, I really love the way they sound. Gorgeous! This is all subjective, of course.

I loved the 602 SE I tried immediately, however. No matter how they're played, they always sound sweet.

Last edited:

gr82bagn

Pioneer Member
When I was a younger I used 2002 SEs. Then I stopped playing for like 20 years. Coming back after a long hiatus I started off with a kit and cymbals I could afford. When I finally had the money to upgrade I upgraded my cymbal set from Dream Bliss to 2002 SE's. 18 crash, 18 med crash, 20 crash, 15 HH and 24 ride. I ordered the cymbals over the internet knowing pretty much how they were going to sound before they landed. Amazingly consistent sound. The only sound for me.

sethlowden

I have 2002 SE 14s, got them with some other 2002s from CraigsList. I liked them pretty well right away, but wanted a little lower pitch. I bought 15s, got them yesterday but have not played them yet. I am looking forward to putting them side by side, but most likely will sell the 14s.

I would like to check out the Modern Essentials 15 inch hats (and 22 inch ride).

My cousin gives my son drum lessons. When he plays my set, I always think about how great everything sounds from in front of the kit.

Last edited:

Road Bull

Silver Member
Hey everyone,
Thanks for your input about your Paiste SE's. I have plans to go check out some 15" Sound Edge hats this weekend, as well as some Signatures. I saw some used 15" Signature Heavies online that looked interesting. I just kind of wish they were the SE style.

Ahh, the thrill of the hunt for new cymbals.

Those 15" 602's sound pretty nice, but I am not sure I would want to fork over so much for them. who knows I might be just as happy with some Alpha 15 inch rock hats. I don't mind spending a little money to get what I want, as long as its the sound I want. I think the 602's would have to blow me away for me to pull that trigger.

How do the 2002's stand up over time to louder playing? I do not abuse my cymbals, but I do plan a rather loud band that I need to be able to keep up with. when we play out they are not usually mic'ed.

B_HALF19

I have a pair of 14 inch Signature Sound Edge Hi-Hats. Never had any issues with them. They are very tight which I like, and I think they cut through the mix perfectly without being too loud or annoying.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
How do the 2002's stand up over time to louder playing?
That's where they excel mate. The were made for it. They cut, pure and simple. If you're looking for a cymbal that is "subtle" or "dark" or "complex" and "blends" with your quiet coffee shop jazz trio, 2002's might be a little too much for your tastes. But if you're looking for a cymbal to cut through that Marshall stack, with all the crispness and clarity of a recording that has been mixed to focus on the hi hats, then 2002's were born for the job.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I originally wanted the 15" 602 SE's, but the price kept me from doing it too.
The 20,& 24" 602's will come at a later date for me... hopefully those 15" SE's too.

My background with hats (like RB) were 14 & 15" New Beats, Quick Beats, and then Sabian 15" AA sizzle hats, which I've had the previous 10 years or so (and loved).

I have the 15" 2002 SE's.
I LOVE them.

I was NOT a Paiste player until the last couple years when the GB's came out again.
Before, I didn't like the feel of 2002's, and didn't care about the sound. They were not on my radar.
I don't know what happened, because something clicked.

I got the hats first.
The 15" 2002 SE's I got were from eBay. I didn't hear them, just sound files/vids, records... basically knew what they sounded like anyway.

I set them up and liked them. Played around (between my 15" Sabian's), really liked them.... Came back the next day fresh, not hearing my other hats, & went "that's it".

To me, it was not the "classic Bonham (insert any other classic Paiste user too) sound", it was MY sound coming off of them.
I feel they are every bit as versatile as my B20 model hats too.
They sit in the perfect spot in the music--which one of my bands does some of the Sabbath style, and they seem perfect for that stuff to me.
I can get different sound and character from them too, which before, I thought Paiste were kind of, "one sound" per cymbal. Very wrong on my part.

After the at home playing, I tried them at a shared kit gig, and again, that was it.
They sounded and felt great.
Then, I had a rehearsal with my other band the next day, and they were exactly what I heard in my head for that band too. They were great played tight, sloshy, crashed, the foot chick sound is GREAT.... I decided to get the other stuff right then.

The 20-22-24" 2002 Crashes work for anything I want to do.
I haven't really given my (very nice) Sabian and older Zildjian's a second thought. That's a pretty drastic change for me TBH. It's been about a year now, and I really love playing these cymbals.

There isn't any "if it was just a little more "........" anymore.

The 24" 2002 CRASH works great for me as a ride, and the bell cuts through really well (like a "ride" bell would).
It doesn't blend too much, unless I play it to blend by the part of the stick I use, and my hand motion.
The AVH ride is pretty great too, and I like everything that cymbal does. It's like a Giant Beat on steroids, but it's not overpowering, it's just a GB "plus".

I just really get into the feel and action I get off of that 24" 2002 crash. Very similar to a GB, but a little bit more solid under the stick when I lay into it. It has wash for sure, but it's not overbearing, and it's the kind of sound I like from "my" ride.

Because they DO sound good, I got a 21" Sweet Ride and the (new) 24" Medium A Zildjian Ride, just to see if they would work for me, maybe, but I took them back.

I got full credit for the 21", but I had to "consign" the 24 because they really weren't going to get one in, unless someone ordered it. It won't be a loss, but I have to wait for the money. I have really liked all the new A stuff I've heard, and I'm glad Zildjian A's sound really good again..... But I dig my Paiste's more :)

Sorry for being long winded.... :)

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Ditto. A sweet clean hat sound.

I had 12" 2002 Sound Edge hats in the 70s and 80s. Early on in the piece I played at a party and some drunks fell over my hats and broke the top cymbal around the hole. So I had to put that top cymbal on the bottom where it was supported and I used it for years afterwards like that, sound edge on top. Still sounded great to me.