Did WFLIII drums make a boo-boo?

Shouldn’t they have cut the bearing edge after the powder coat?

Shouldn’t they have cut the bearing edge after the powder coat?
I think JW said it was a metal shell. But from the pictures here, I can't find a shadow under the metal bearing edge, so. I haven't read the original ad on Reverb though.

I don't think the unevenness on the bearing edge is really as it appears. I think we're seeing depressions/grooves on the drum head from the snare support strings, and perhaps the head has been removed and put back on with some slight rotation over the years.

Maybe it's a lemon soundwise, and the packing and reshipping from owner to owner, over and over again, taking off the heads (I know that doesn't make sense) and putting them back on again etc etc, could be the source of the rotation.

If the purchase allows returns, maybe it's time to bite the bullet (hard) and make the purchase.

IMG_3106 (640x427).jpgIMG_1268.JPG
Here is the supra I was referring to. I can say without question that the texture on this shell affected sound, a lot.

The finish on the op drum has a more subtle texture, so I'm not sure how much affect it will have.

No, on a metal shell they generally do all the shaping, then apply whatever finish to the shell, including the bearing edges.
Hmm. Deal breaker. I want my heads touching bare metal, not a powder coat that can have large variations in thickness if not done correctly.

Besides, they “laser cut” the snare bed. Why would they do that when they’re gonna bake paint onto it and create variances as thick or thicker than the drumhead?

From the web site:

• The shell is 3mm or 1/8″ aluminum, it has machined double 45 degree bearing edges (not rolled) and laser cut snare beds. Does not have a center bead.

Last edited:
Hmm. Deal breaker. I want my heads touching bare metal, not a powder coat that can have large variations in thickness if not done correctly.

Besides, they “laser” the snare bed. Why would they do that when they’re gonna bake paint onto it and create variances as thick or thicker than the drumhead?

From the web site:

Ahh, I was actually mistaken about their manufacturing process. From the pic I though it was your standard rolled and shaped shell. I really don't have an answer for you on that, now!

It's one thing if you bought the drum and it's shoddy but to start a thread based on speculation from a picture is not really fair to WFLIII. I just received a brand new 6.5x14 WFLIII mahogany snare I purchased from them direct and it is flawless and sounds fantastic. If there was anything not to my satisfaction they wanted me to let them know. This is what they said in an email.

"Great News! Our craftsmen are finished, our inspectors have gone over every inch, and your new WFLIII drum is on the way to you.
We’ve had so much fun building your drum and hope you will receive a lifetime of joy and satisfaction knowing you now own the very best!
Please take pictures and let us know your reaction when you open your package, hear the sound and feel the quality of your new WFLIII Drum for the first time. You can tag us on Instagram or Facebook. You are now part of the WFLIII Family, and we hope you will stay in touch and let us know about your playing experiences and any future needs you might have.

If for some unfortunate reason your drum does not arrive to you in absolutely perfect condition, let us know immediately so we can remedy any issues. You can contact us at [email protected] or call us directly at 773.459.2678.
Thank you again for choosing WFLIII Drums!"

Last edited:
It's one thing if you bought the drum and it's shoddy but to start a thread based on speculation from a picture is not really fair to WFLIII. I just received a brand new 6.5x14 WFLIII mahogany snare I purchased from them direct and it is flawless and sounds fantastic. If there was anything not to my satisfaction they wanted me to let them know. This is what they said in an email.

"Great News! Our craftsmen are finished, our inspectors have gone over every inch, and your new WFLIII drum is on the way to you.
We’ve had so much fun building your drum and hope you will receive a lifetime of joy and satisfaction knowing you now own the very best!
Please take pictures and let us know your reaction when you open your package, hear the sound and feel the quality of your new WFLIII Drum for the first time. You can tag us on Instagram or Facebook. You are now part of the WFLIII Family, and we hope you will stay in touch and let us know about your playing experiences and any future needs you might have.

If for some unfortunate reason your drum does not arrive to you in absolutely perfect condition, let us know immediately so we can remedy any issues. You can contact us at [email protected] or call us directly at 773.459.2678.
It's great to see that kind of customer service!

I'm willing to give WFLIII the benefit of the doubt...it's unlikely they would miss something basic like the bearing edges.

But I think my observation is valid and should at least be questioned. That's why I phrased the title as a question instead of an accusation. I hope it's just the light playing tricks.

Did you ask the seller? They might clear this up instead of possibly harmful speculation.

I personally find the discussion is less harmful speculation and more general metal snare expectations. Besides if we can't critique a percussion product on a drummer forum, where can we do it? And the snare is used.

Did you ask the seller? They might clear this up instead of possibly harmful speculation.

Another +1 for this.

Worth asking the seller as opposed to speculating about a drum where the backstory isn't known.

I agree. And pic OP posted is so blurry I can't make sense of its. PLUS the OP didn't buy the snare - they just saw it on Reverb and decided to post this trouble-making thread.

While we're on the subject, I just found this DW cast Aluminum snare with a "wrinkled" finish. Check out that bearing edge. It has the same problem that I am suspicious (but inconclusive) about with the WFLIII. If any of you can't see the bumpiness on that bearing edge, there's no hope for you, lol.

I'm still undecided about the WFLIII snare, but this DW is much easier to see. Bearing edges need to be baby's butt smooth, period. That bearing edge looks like a jagged mess. There is no doubt it will negatively influence the sound.

I'm sorry if some of you find this thread "harmful" or "troublemaking"...but I believe this is an incredibly valid concern. If we can't ask questions like this here, then where? As one of you suggested, I have messaged the seller about the WFLIII snare. Hopefully I'll get a reply, and I'll post any updates.

Here's the DW listing...
https://reverb.com/item/37839710-dw...m-snare-2000s-flat-black-dw-calls-it-wrinkled

D91B098.png

Last edited:
While we're on the subject, I just found this DW cast Aluminum snare with a "wrinkled" finish. Check out that bearing edge. It has the same problem that I am suspicious (but inconclusive) about with the WFLIII. If any of you can't see the bumpiness on that bearing edge, there's no hope for you, lol.

I'm still undecided about the WFLIII snare, but this DW is much easier to see. Bearing edges need to be baby's butt smooth, period. That bearing edge looks like a jagged mess. There is no doubt it will negatively influence the sound.

I'm sorry if some of you find this thread "harmful" or "troublemaking"...but I believe this is an incredibly valid concern. If we can't ask questions like this here, then where? As one of you suggested, I have messaged the seller about the WFLIII snare. Hopefully I'll get a reply, and I'll post any updates.

Here's the DW listing...
https://reverb.com/item/37839710-dw...m-snare-2000s-flat-black-dw-calls-it-wrinkled

D91B098.png
I'm wondering if it really has any impact on sound. The head conforms to the bearing edge with enough tension on it. And reso heads on snares are cranked pretty tight more often than not.

I'm wondering if it really has any impact on sound. The head conforms to the bearing edge with enough tension on it. And reso heads on snares are cranked pretty tight more often than not.
Bearing edges are one of the most critical aspects of a drum's sound. Without a good bearing edge the drum can sound boxy, be lacking in body, have bad overtones, or be difficult to tune. Sometimes all of the above. No amount of tension would completely fix it IMHO.

If you put that snare on a level glass or granite surface and shine a light in the middle, light will shine through in 100 different places. Those edges are not good.

Here's an example of light bleeding out under a bad bearing edge...
RU73uCL.png

Back