Diagnosed with Essential Tremors, my playing may be over

DrumDoug

I’ve been having trouble lately with my hands shaking when I’m playing. The Doctor diagnosed me with Essential Tremors. Has anybody delt with this? I read that caffeine makes it worse so I’ve cut out caffeine for a couple weeks, but it was still bad at my gig on Saturday. I’m worried that if I can’t get this under control, my playing days may be over and I’m only 51yo.

I'm not familiar with it, but hopefully there's some treatment/therapy available to cure or minimize it. 51 is way too young to have to walk away from playing. :(

Yes, it is
In my very early 20s I used to have tremors every morning. I didn't intake caffeine then. There was no diagnosis or treatment sought but I always wondered why it happened. And why it went away. It was very strange because there was no other known or perceived health related reason for it. I would just shake for 15 minutes in the morning.

My Dad has essential tremors. Basically like Parkinson's without the related deterioration that happens with Parkinson's.

I'm not an expert by any means, other than what I've learned from him. He is still able to function pretty well, but has trouble with certain things like texting. His has gotten somewhat worse through the years, but not drastically or in a totally debilitating way. He's had it for many years now - 20+ at least.

I wouldn't give up hope. I don't think there is a cure, but it isn't necessarily the end of everything, either. Try to stay hopeful. We'll be pulling for you.

I've had an essential tremor in left wrist for over 10 years and it has not stopped me from gigging or teaching. It can interfere a bit with ghost notes or playing very quiet pp dynamics but otherwise no problem with drumming. As I'm a lefty it also makes it a bit difficult to write or draw straight lines. I can only see it being a big problem if I was a classical percussionist in a symphony or a watchmaker. You might want to consult a neurologist who specializes in musicians.

Tremor guy here too. Gets me sometimes on ghost notes when I'm nervous. Some things of note:

I've found some good resources on the essential tremor Subreddit.

Meditation and non-sleep deep rest have helped me immensely to calm my body on a deep level. Breathwork, polyvagal nerve stuff, sleep hygiene, and a ton of related things have given me markedly noticeable improvements.

I found bigger sticks with small tips to work nicely. I use VF Boleros because they have a small tip but are big enough that I don't have to keep something delicate from wobbling.

I take Lionsmane, NAC, Magnesium Glycinate, high EPA Fish Oil, vitamin D, and low dose Naltrexone (like 1.5% of normal dosage) daily. I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting to take those, but simply that there is some relief to be found through supplementation. I've worked closely with my doc for 5 years with lots of trial and error to settle on that, so should you decide to throw supplements in the mix, I'd suggest doing it in that manner.

Worth getting a blood panel done to check for any mineral deficiencies as well.

Just curious. Why did the admins change the title of the thread? Seems a little more clickbaity now.

Tremor guy here too. Gets me sometimes on ghost notes when I'm nervous. Some things of note:

Meditation and non-sleep deep rest have helped me immensely to calm my body on a deep level. Breathwork, polyvagal nerve stuff, sleep hygiene, and a ton of related things have given me markedly noticeable improvements.

I found bigger sticks with small tips to work nicely. I use VF Boleros because they have a small tip but are big enough that I don't have to keep something delicate from wobbling.

I take Lionsmane, NAC, Magnesium Glycinate, high EPA Fish Oil, vitamin D, and low dose Naltrexone (like 1.5% of normal dosage) daily. I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting to take those, but simply that there is some relief to be found through supplementation. I've worked closely with my doc for 5 years with lots of trial and error to settle on that, so should you decide to throw supplements in the mix, I'd suggest doing it in that manner.

These all seem like excellent suggestions. I would add that a high-fat diet with zero sugar, and some small amount of complex carbs, would almost certainly help to some degree

The blood panel is an excellent idea

These all seem like excellent suggestions. I would add that a high-fat diet with zero sugar, and some small amount of complex carbs, would almost certainly help to some degree
As much as I hate to give up most of my tasty tasty carb, I have definitely noticed that working haha. Good advice as well
The blood panel is an excellent idea
Man, it's wild how many years of feeling like a bag of ass it took for me to go get a blood panel. Didn't fix everything but turns out being vitamin D and magnesium deficient makes you feel not great

Hi DrumDoug. I've seen a lot of Benign Essential Tremor over thirty-five years working as a general internist. "Benign" is , of course, a relative term but, if you are not averse to using pharmaceuticals, a small dose of a class of drug known as Beta blockers may be of some benefit. As with everything in western medicine, you should evaluate the risk/benefit ratio but B-blockers have a very long track record and are generally very well tolerated especially at the dosages used in this condition. Just a suggestion that you may want to discuss with your doctor to ensure you have no absolute contraindications to this therapy. There are other pharmaceutical treatment options but the B-blockers (low dose) are probably the safest and least expensive. I wish you all the best.

I have Parkinson's and yes, it sucks but I still work 9+ hours a day and just picked up a new heart valve for Christmas. I take my meds and exercise almost constantly. Deep breathing exercises help me along with walking, meditation and general movement. I still have a few more weeks before I'm released and then I'm going to start the boxing routine for Parkinson's. I know my future outlook is bleak but I try not to think about it or get discouraged. Like my Dad said, "When you stop moving, you stop moving".

A little update. My doctor put me on Primidone. It’s an anti-tremor drug. It’s helping but hasn’t eliminated the tremors. Yesterday afternoon I was at work and it felt like my whole body was shaking. I guess I’ll just keep plowing ahead and see how it goes. I’ve kept playing through other medical conditions. I have noticed that deep breathing helps calm them down a bit.

A little update. My doctor put me on Primidone. It’s an anti-tremor drug. It’s helping but hasn’t eliminated the tremors. Yesterday afternoon I was at work and it felt like my whole body was shaking. I guess I’ll just keep plowing ahead and see how it goes. I’ve kept playing through other medical conditions. I have noticed that deep breathing helps calm them down a bit.

Yea, that's the one time where I have to totally stop and 'drain my body'. I find a point on the wall and just fixate until it passes. Sometimes it doesn't pass and you just have to ride it out, nothing else you can do. A deep hard hug helps more than anything but there's rarely anyone around willing to go the extra mile... LOL.

Oh yea, Fried food is not your friend.

I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor a few years back at the same time my neurologist diagnosed focal dystonia that manifests in my ankles. Both of those conditions have actually improved over time with daily meditation/mindfulness practice. I was later started on a low-dose beta blocker (mentioned by Weakendwarrior) for cardiomyopathy and I believe that has also helped.

I’m guessing that it depends how severe the tremor is, I’ve had an essential tremor in my right hand for many years now, I’ve never even thought about it in terms of my drumming. I’m a photographer by trade and it does affect that side of things.

flam, you have offered some great advice. I do not suffer with Essential Tremors, but due to significant Spinal maladies (Multiple sites of Stenosis, Spinal Arthritis called Spondylosis, very thin vertebrae discs, with OA growths on the vertebrae and Facet Joints... anyway, suffice it to say that there is daily chronic pains but worse is the terrible stiffness. The Compressed spinal discs have caused Central and Peripheral Nervous system damages - lost all reflexes, Extra-Sensitized nerves. I'm finding I'm dropping my drum sticks more lately among some other "weird" sensations...

Like you, not to play Doctor by any means, The OP could also consider Nerve supplementation and increase vitamin B-12 (vital for your Nerves); Amino Acids L- Glutamine, L- Taurine & L-Tyrosine too; if Fish Oil disturbs your stomach - try Flaxseed oil which has high Omega 3s as well. Look into Alpha -Lipoic Acid which I tried based on my research and the advice of an old Neurologist. According to the research ALA can help to generate the repair of the Nerves sheathing (like insulation). I tried it for a time, and since I get shooting varied Itchiness ( worst on my Neck and left Shoulder) & on my back, I thought it was the ALA causing the Itchiness - but that's still to be determined. Due to the Radiculopathy on my left side from the Cervical Stenosis, it can cause Neurological Pruritis from the nerves being pinched. To the OP and Flam, you should have your crrvical checked. It's amazing how much the Cervical spine affects your health / well being because all the Cranial Nerves come from the Brain Stem - the biggest is the Vagus Nerve.

Back