Developing Speed on the Snare Drum | Video Discussion

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I think you make great sense. Wish I had as much patience as you ;) but speed without control really is meaningless, so I will attempt to develop more patience.

Reactions: I-P

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I think you make great sense. Wish I had as much patience as you ;) but speed without control really is meaningless, so I will attempt to develop more patience.

Well, it's something you develop, I suppose. I think it's a patience from having wasted so much time on things that don't work. When you know that the alternatives are just going to make the results take much longer, it's a little easier to stay motivated and trust what you're doing is the fastest way to improve.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
I'd be interested in your thougths.
I feel like the ability to listen fast gets overlooked. One must be able to actually hear and differentiate each note in the string mentally and physically to be able to play the string.

To give an example, use a sequencer to play 16th notes at 400bpm. It just sounds like noise. You cant play that because your ears/brain cant unscramble it. You will never find the 1. The ability to make your hands replicate something your ears/brain cant figure out is impossible.

Now start to slow the sequencer down. At some point you will hear it*. The string goes from noise to repetitive notes. Your ears/brain start to separate the notes into groups, and your brain then passes said knowledge down to your limbs. That second part will never happen without the first.

I look at it like musical relativity. Much like Einsteins relativity, the faster you go the more other things slow down. The space between notes are the other things in this instance.

*"Some point" is not a given value whatsoever. This will vary between individuals. I expect the person who listens to Cryptopsy to have a higher bpm awareness value than someone who only listens to Kenny Rogers.

The Prof

Following some recent discussions on this forum regarding speed, I thought I'd address the issue by adding my thoughts on it. This is something of a critique, but also presents a practical way to increase speed in specific contexts:

I'd be interested in your thougths.
Been really enjoying your videos Jonathan, very helpful stuff. Thanks for doing them!