Desert Island Drum Kit

aaajn

Silver Member
Electronic Drumset Solution?

Hey all,

I am heading to Iraq for a year in February and I am trying to figure out how to bring a drum kit with me. Background is I will probably have some free time and would like to keep developing as a new drummer. I am thinking about an electronic drum kit, Roland or Yamaha. I figure I can break it down into small pacakages and ship it over.

The deciding factors are:

Money: somewhat important
Quality: pretty important
Small size for set up and shipping: Pricelss.

Questions are: Do you think this will work? Do you have a brand preference? Do you have any other ideas?

I will probably be able to bring a snare over there and worst case scenario, I spend a year doing rudiments. Thank God for iPods.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
My suggestion for space and weight would be an electronic kit. That said; I would be very concerned about the extreme temperatures there and what it would do to the brain. Maybe a used e-kit or one for under a grand. If it gets overheated and fries the electronics you wouldn't be at a loss like losing a Yamaha or Roland kit that costs a couple of grand. Oh, one other thing... Thank-you for serving our country and God speed for your safe return back home.

aaajn

Silver Member
"That said; I would be very concerned about the extreme temperatures there and what it would do to the brain."

Thanks, I did not think about the temps. Usually, living quarters are AC down to 90 or so. My last trip had temps of 130+ frequently. Any magazine or book that was bound would fall apart because the binding would melt.

Great advice.

John

tbmills

Gold Member
if you go acoustic get something like a yamaha hipgig.
or you could go with pearl rhythm traveler or traps brand....