Derek Roddys...Playing With Your Drums DVD

Congratulations Derek :) Am I getting this right, your DVD is about optimising & personalising your kit? That's cool, & I'm not aware there's many DVD's out there coming from that angle.

Good luck with the launch, I know all too well what that pressure's like ;)

Saw your other DVD about the blast beat, very great. Expecting the same quality on the new one.

Congratulations Derek :) Am I getting this right, your DVD is about optimising & personalising your kit? That's cool, & I'm not aware there's many DVD's out there coming from that angle.

Good luck with the launch, I know all too well what that pressure's like ;)

Yes sir it is.
Not one exercise or "technique" Question in the entire DVD!!!!! Haha.

I'm always looking to do what hasn't been done so, this made a lot of sense because there really isn't isn't anything about this topic out there....as you said.

It's really casual. I put together a group of life long drummer friends and, we discuss building your kit, starting from a carpet, adding each piece....talking about each as we go. Just common sense stuff that sometimes goes overlooked when you're in a hurry setting up, etc.

Should be helpful.............I hope! Haha.

Thanks for the props

Saw your other DVD about the blast beat, very great. Expecting the same quality on the new one.

Thanks man, yeah.....this one looks much better then the first. Better camera's, etc. Topic is more for all around players and everyday drummers.
I hope you'll enjoy it.

Cheers,
D

It's really casual. I put together a group of life long drummer friends and, we discuss building your kit, starting from a carpet, adding each piece....talking about each as we go. Just common sense stuff that sometimes goes overlooked when you're in a hurry setting up, etc.

Should be helpful.............I hope! Haha.

Hi Derek

Congratulations, it sounds promising, for sure.

... and yes, it will be helpful, I'm very interested by the topic, I always found your kits to be really well set up, they look easy and comfy to play, look forward to the DVD.

...we discuss building your kit, starting from a carpet, adding each piece....talking about each as we go.

Ooooh! An excuse to rant about my pet peeve about kit setup!

Here’s the question that so often comes to mind when I see kits set up for performance: If you mentally divide your kit into left and right, and you draw a line straight through the drum kit to define the centre, where is that line?

To me, the snare is on the centre line. The throne is on the centre line. The centre line runs from the centre of the throne through the center of the snare. Left and right feet are equidistant from the centre line (disregarding multi-pedal setups). The bass drum is definitely NOT in the centre. The right foot is NOT pointing forwards; it’s pointing a bit off to the right.

So why does almost everybody set up with the bass drum parallel to the front of the stage, which leaves you facing a bit to the left? Is the average drummer really thinking that his bass drum is in the centre of his kit and/or pointing straight forward?

To clarify, if you think of a double kick setup, you’ll probably picture a kit with each bass drum angled out from the centre. Now try to picture that same kit with the right kick drum straight on to the front edge of the stage as if it’s a typical 1-kick kit. Suddenly looks ludicrous, right? The drummer is obviously facing a bit off to the side. So why do so many people ignore that seemingly-obvious fact when there’s only 1 kick?

To me, ergonomics and symmetricallity (er, symmetricalness? symmetricization?) are important in drumming. I don’t want to twist my spine to pretend that my bass drum is front and centre of my kit.

End of rant. You may now resume your day.

And Derek: keep up the good work! Looking forward to the new video.

Here’s the question that so often comes to mind when I see kits set up for performance: If you mentally divide your kit into left and right, and you draw a line straight through the drum kit to define the centre, where is that line?

To me, the snare is on the centre line. The throne is on the centre line. The centre line runs from the centre of the throne through the center of the snare. Left and right feet are equidistant from the centre line (disregarding multi-pedal setups). The bass drum is definitely NOT in the centre. The right foot is NOT pointing forwards; it’s pointing a bit off to the right.

So why does almost everybody set up with the bass drum parallel to the front of the stage, which leaves you facing a bit to the left? Is the average drummer really thinking that his bass drum is in the centre of his kit and/or pointing straight forward?

To clarify, if you think of a double kick setup, you’ll probably picture a kit with each bass drum angled out from the centre. Now try to picture that same kit with the right kick drum straight on to the front edge of the stage as if it’s a typical 1-kick kit. Suddenly looks ludicrous, right? The drummer is obviously facing a bit off to the side. So why do so many people ignore that seemingly-obvious fact when there’s only 1 kick?

To me, ergonomics and symmetricallity (er, symmetricalness? symmetricization?) are important in drumming. I don’t want to twist my spine to pretend that my bass drum is front and centre of my kit.

I agree! Don't even get me started on why do we set up at the back of the stage.

Derek: I'm looking forward to it. Does it include how to get a drum set to the car in one trip, or how to stuff it into a Jetson's briefcase so it just pops open? I'd pay some really good money for than info.

Brother....there is an entire conversation about that in the DVD. Drummers center themselves down the kick drum line and wonder why their backs hurt! Haha.

Get it.....you'll get a kick out of it.

D

I agree! Don't even get me started on why do we set up at the back of the stage.

Derek: I'm looking forward to it. Does it include how to get a drum set to the car in one trip, or how to stuff it into a Jetson's briefcase so it just pops open? I'd pay some really good money for than info.

That's one thing we didn't discuss.....tear down. Not enough minutes on a disc!

If you can believe it....I used to be able to get my entire double bass kit in a Honda CRX!!!! And still have room for a passenger. Haha.

D

Brother....there is an entire conversation about that in the DVD. Drummers center themselves down the kick drum line and wonder why their backs hurt! Haha.

Get it.....you'll get a kick out of it.

D

Sweet! I look forward to it.

And the kick I’ll get out of it (you punny guy!).

Symmetry haha!

I whole heartedly agree with that rant sir. I was most certainly guilty of this even until recently, for me it was my upper leg and knee that ended up aching, this was because I was twisting my leg to get around the snare drum to the bass drum pedal. I play a 1up -2down set-up with a 13" as my first floor, so putting an angle on the bass drum slightly doesn't affect the positioning of it (the floor tom that is).

Hope you're well,

Kev

Looking forward on buying this DVD as soon it's released, I've got these problems and I can't find a solution myself, the bad thing is that I don't even have a throne yet. LOL

What will be the length of the DVD? I think this topic covers a lot of material and I assume the DVD should be pretty long and goes into details - that would be awesome. Not sure if you would like to answer these DVD related questions, would be the same as movie spoilers lol.

P.S: I know I already replied in this thread, but I had no keyboard so I couldn't ask questions, now that I got a new keyboard I thought asking some questions wouldn't be a problem :p

^ This!!!!

I've always set up my 5pc like a double bass kit that is missing the 2nd bass drum for this very reason.

Looking forward on buying this DVD as soon it's released, I've got these problems and I can't find a solution myself, the bad thing is that I don't even have a throne yet. LOL

What will be the length of the DVD? I think this topic covers a lot of material and I assume the DVD should be pretty long and goes into details - that would be awesome. Not sure if you would like to answer these DVD related questions, would be the same as movie spoilers lol.

P.S: I know I already replied in this thread, but I had no keyboard so I couldn't ask questions, now that I got a new keyboard I thought asking some questions wouldn't be a problem :p

The Length....it's only around an hour and 30 minutes. (I'm also trying to hit a lower price point...tired of all these 50 dollars DVD! HAHA)

I not trying to tell anybody how to set up their drums.

I feel that's all individual taste but, there are things....small things that will have a large impact on how comfortable you'll be in the long run... physically.
Most of the topic is within the mental game that happens to all us drummers when we move our set ups from place to place. I.E., Making sure there is enough space, that your bass drum pedal isn't on top of a crease in the stage, Having your band members bury you behind a bunch of gear....disconnecting you from them.
More along those lines...which I feel is the stuff that really messes with performance.

I hope it will give a lot of drummers some insight to things they haven't thought of before regarding their own set ups.

Cheers,
D

Back