Derek Roddy here!

Congrats on being invited to the MD fest....

I don't really listen to Metal but I've seen some of your clips on your site/YouTube and you have tremendous chops....

Looking forward to seeing you play!

Congrats on being invited to the MD fest....

I don't really listen to Metal but I've seen some of your clips on your site/YouTube and you have tremendous chops....

Looking forward to seeing you play!

Thank you very much.
I still have to pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming!!! Haha.
Should be loads of fun!
See you there?
Cheers.
D.

Thanks John.
I'm looking forward to hanging with you as well.
I'm still on for the Collective in June.
Let's get together and play!
D.

Hey, Derek, question about the excercise, is it any better if we do each section for more than 2 minutes? I wonder what's the longest you've done it.

Kind of a silly question I know

Thanks!!

Hi Derek

I congratulate you for the big gig - Modern Drummer Festival Weekend.

Great to see and makes me feel good that ALL appearing drummers are personal friends of Drummerworld:

Derek, Simon, Billy, Todd, Thomas, Dafnis, Gavin, Ndugu.....so great!!

Bernhard

Hi Derek

I congratulate you for the big gig - Modern Drummer Festival Weekend.

Great to see and makes me feel good that ALL appearing drummers are personal friends of Drummerworld:

Derek, Simon, Billy, Todd, Thomas, Dafnis, Gavin, Ndugu.....so great!!

Bernhard

THANK YOU SO MUCH Bernhard.
That means a lot to me.

Are you going to come?
I'd love to see you there.

Hope all is well with you and look forward to hanging again. Hopefully soon.
D.

Hey, Derek, question about the excercise, is it any better if we do each section for more than 2 minutes? I wonder what's the longest you've done it.

Kind of a silly question I know

Thanks!!

You can do it as long as you see fit. Or until you feel you've made progress.

Longest I've done it???????Hummmmm......
Maybe a solid hour but... I'd rather practice "working on speed and endurance" while playing music.
I'm not really an "exercise guy". Haha.

D.

You can do it as long as you see fit. Or until you feel you've made progress.

Longest I've done it???????Hummmmm......
Maybe a solid hour but... I'd rather practice "working on speed and endurance" while playing music.
I'm not really an "exercise guy". Haha.

D.

I think when it comes to techniques or exercises, that is simply the best advise a pro drummer of your caliber can give to anyone: Wanna get better? PLAY!!

Thanks for your reply, Derek.

Re: Derek Roddy

Flat foot is still heel up. I use that term because I don't angle my feet. The entire surface of my foot hits the pedal at the same time. It's the same thing that everybody I've ever seen play a bass drum does.( accept for the heel down players) Maybe the angles are different from player to player but at the end of all of that.... is still only one "techinque".

This quote, from the man himself is important because there is a lot of misinformation out there which tries to explain that 'flat foot' technique is something altogether different from heel up.

Technique A). What flat-foot technique ISN'T: using only the muscles in your hips/butt to lift the entire weight of your thigh, calf and foot up in the air, and the antagonistic muscle pair plus the aid of gravity to bring said bodily structures back down, consequently depressing the bass drum pedal.

Technique B). What flat-foot technique IS: using the muscles in your calves, just like in regular heel up, albeit at a slightly flatter angle which Derek happens to find more comfortable playing at.

NOTE - using your calf muscles in the way described in 'Technique B).' will still cause your leg to be raised into the air, so these two techniques essentially, look the same, but feel very different.

I think, the use of the term 'hip-flexor muscles' is what throws people off into thinking that flat foot technique is 'Technique A).' where you're lifting your whole thigh into the air from the hip. The hip flexors may well be involved in flat foot technique, but only as a stabilizing muscle ie. so you don't fall off your stool.

If flat foot technique is as the quote from Derek above says - then the muscles driving the action of the technique will still be the muscles of the calf - again, just like regular heel up.

Seriously, try playing Technique A). - I guarantee you will be struggling to play with any consistency, you will be off-balance, and you may even get back-ache.

Hey Derek! just want to tell you that you're a huge inspiration man, since I've been into your drumming it has inspired me to practice a lot more, to try to take my drumming to the next level, and to try to be unique. I've been trying to learn The Victorious Reign, amazing drumming dude. Hopefully you read this, lol.

I wish you luck on future projects

blastface

Last edited:
I just bought Derek's book, "The Evolution Of Blast Beats" and I would strongly recommend it, it's great for your overall playing, not only blast beats, I've learned a lot from it and I've had it for less than a week.

I tolerate death metal because I love the drumming so much and Roddy is no exception. Dude is amazing.

I just bought Derek's book, "The Evolution Of Blast Beats" and I would strongly recommend it, it's great for your overall playing, not only blast beats, I've learned a lot from it and I've had it for less than a week.

Hey Blastface.....Just wanted to say thanks for the positive book review.
Cheers Man.!

Hudson Music will be re-releasing it in August or September.... for those interested in picking up a copy.

D.

I am by no means a death or speed metal fan...but i can appreciate Derek Roddy's skills....hes a very good drummer just not one who plays in a style i love to hear...cheers and keep playing and inspiring young drummers Mr. Roddy

I really like your playing Derek, you are fast and not like bunch of soulless death-metal drummer, you got the soul for it and i really want to be like you!!!

Back