Deleted

I have to confess that the changes at Noble & Cooley-- the name I would've mentioned in this thread a few months ago-- have left me with a LOT less excitement about them. I know a lot of the old stalwarts for that company have rallied behind the new regime and I'm sure they're nice guys and all but I just can't bring myself to care much anymore. I may even sell the ones I have.
Sorry Neil, but why would that sale dampen your enthusiasm for the set you have that was made by Dad and son? I’d be keeping them specifically because they were made by them in that case.

I have to confess that the changes at Noble & Cooley-- the name I would've mentioned in this thread a few months ago-- have left me with a LOT less excitement about them. I know a lot of the old stalwarts for that company have rallied behind the new regime and I'm sure they're nice guys and all but I just can't bring myself to care much anymore. I may even sell the ones I have.

But I do respect what AK does, for sure. Oriollo, too.
What changed at N&C?

I don't know if these are considered "boutique" anymore, but here's my list:

I really like what C&C is doing these days. I like that they've moved away from Keller and have been making their own shells for a while. I'd like to try one of their kits.
C&C puzzles me. Whenever I find a bop kit of theirs (not the Player Date stuff), custom, the videos are always terrible—drums tuned way to low. Gives you no idea how they sound.

Curious to know what folks think of this Reverie mahogany bop kit. Sound, tone good? I hadn't heard of this drum company until recently.

Sorry Neil, but why would that sale dampen your enthusiasm for the set you have that was made by Dad and son? I’d be keeping them specifically because they were made by them in that case.

I don't have a full set of theirs, though that was definitely the goal, after we finished paying for college for the kids. We just sent in the last tuition check. But the changes in leadership there mean that won't be happening. If I do get another kit-- which, I mean, I definitely don't NEED one-- it'll be something else. I also have a couple boards with N&C that I intended to get made into snare drums, and those projects are on hold.

Good question, though. And I guess the answer is that I don't really understand that about myself. I'm going through a really, really terrible time in my life right now and that's probably part of it-- maybe I'm feeling like the drums are reminders of sad things. But, I mean, I only have two of their snare drums. The 7x14 SS Maple is probably still my most used drum, and that might be damned near impossible to replace with something I like as much. The Alloy Classic is still quite new to me and that one seems easier to let go of.

Happily, I'll be away from home for another month and a half, so no drums are going anywhere any time soon.

Craviotto or N&C. Something really warm like Walnut or Mahogany.

Do the George Way kits count as boutique? Again their Walnut kit is just amazing. The old Carter McLean vids before he went to Ludwig had me hooked.

Just wait till I build my clay with gator head kit. It’s the design of oldest drum ever found in China. I figure the initial invention is likely best but like Mr Coffee people kept “improving” it to muck it all up. ROFL

I don't have a full set of theirs, though that was definitely the goal, after we finished paying for college for the kids. We just sent in the last tuition check. But the changes in leadership there mean that won't be happening. If I do get another kit-- which, I mean, I definitely don't NEED one-- it'll be something else. I also have a couple boards with N&C that I intended to get made into snare drums, and those projects are on hold.

Good question, though. And I guess the answer is that I don't really understand that about myself. I'm going through a really, really terrible time in my life right now and that's probably part of it-- maybe I'm feeling like the drums are reminders of sad things. But, I mean, I only have two of their snare drums. The 7x14 SS Maple is probably still my most used drum, and that might be damned near impossible to replace with something I like as much. The Alloy Classic is still quite new to me and that one seems easier to let go of.

Happily, I'll be away from home for another month and a half, so no drums are going anywhere any time soon.
Sorry to hear about that. Hope things get better.

British Drum Company for me!:unsure::)(y)

British Drum company always cracks me up.

A few years ago they were at NAMM promoting a new bop kit and in their literature, they wrote:

Inspired by the classic records of Miles Davies and John Cultrane.

So Miles Davies and John Cultrane have become a thing our band jokes about all the time haha.

Curious to know what folks think of this Reverie mahogany bop kit. Sound, tone good? I hadn't heard of this drum company until recently.

Hey Bobby,

I bet if you could find a used kit, you could get it for an excellent price.

Back