Deleted

heartbeat

I bought a lot in '20 and '21, since I was busy recording, gigging, and joining new projects (I stayed fairly active through the pandemic). Earlier this year I sold a handful of items I wasn't using, and now I really have no urgent needs for anything specific. It's a weird feeling after 2 years of buying, lol. But with inflation, I'm glad I don't. I may buy an occasional snare or cymbal if the price/need is right, but I'm in a "hold steady" mode overall.

James Hart

I'm a bassist with pro level gear but have an AutumGlo Ric 4003 bass on order with Sweetwater and a very custom fretless 7 string bass in the build queue with a builder in Poland. I do plan to upgrade my Upright bass... but that will be 2024 or later. Guitar wise I am set with a very gig worthy tools electric and acoustic. Drums just got very usable on cheap shells with new heads and good hardware. My cymbals are okay now (used Meinl MCS pack) but I'm confident my hats and ride will be upgraded before summer is over to some high end Meinls.

yammyfan

I've got a hankering for a DW Design Series acrylic kit but I need another drum set like I need a hole in the head.

I try to constrain myself to smoking deals these days, like that vintage Supraphonic I picked up a couple of months ago. Technically, I guess that still puts me in acquisition mode. ☺️

RVN

HOLDING STEADY!

I bought BIG in 2010. A Yamaha RC 9 pc. shell bank, 2 racks, 4 new pedals, new hi-hat, new throne, misc. hardware, 6 more Paistes, heads, sticks etc,,,

Due to health and personal issues in 2017, I had to move from a 5500 sq. ft. home into a 1700 sq. ft. townhome. I downsized BIG TIME. I got rid of a lot of furniture and household stuff, but not drums, CD's, DVDs, LPs and electronics. I now have two spare rooms stacked to the ceiling, a packed garage, a crowded living room and no place to set up. I can't play in this neighborhood due to the proximity of the homes and the environment. IT SUCKS!

I've kept EVERYTHING drums going back to 1968, except for gifting an Acrolite and some cymbals. I have two Ludwig kits from 1972 and 1980 and boxes and boxes of drum stuff. I use two big, clean waste management recycle bins with wheels to move and store my racks and some of the hardware.

The price for Recording Customs has doubled since I bought them in 2010 and the prices for everything else has dramatically increased as well. My goal is to move back into another big home with a nice big yard in a couple years. Until then, I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING PERIOD!

Last edited:

James Hart

My goal is to move back into another big home with a nice big yard in a couple years. !

Goals are good! Pre-pandemic I was living in a 900 sq/ft 2 bedroom, 1 bath... with a small 7x10 music room. in 2019 the wife and I decided it was time to move up and out (we had a late in life first child in 2015 and wanted her in a better school system). Summer 2020 we moved into a 3300sq/ft home with a 1500sq/ft unfinished basement and 10ft ceilings on 2.3 mostly wooded acres. FINALLY in my early 50s I have a 14ft x 15ft Home Studio / Home Office / Man Cave with vaulted ceilings... I can have a 3 or 4 piece band rehearse in here, I just need a small PA (planned)... and if I (or my daughter who is learning to play too) outgrows it, I have plenty of space to finish in the basement.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
Great question. I'm in a holding pattern now. I basically have everything I need. But once I get some extra money, I want to get a few more cymbals, just to swap out for different sounds when necessary, and a full set of mics/stands/cords.

same here. The last/only time I bought a set was in 1994, and it is still going strong. Last new cymbal I got was roughly 10 years ago. I am definitely a "set it and forget iit" kind of person. Being poor and not having a ton of space really helps to resolve GAS

I do need a new bass pedal though. My DW5000 was also new in 94, and it is definitely showing it

Drumdame

Silver Member
I bought BIG in 2010. A Yamaha RC 9 pc. shell bank, 2 racks, 4 new pedals, new hi-hat, new throne, misc. hardware, 6 more Paistes, heads, sticks etc,,,

Due to health and personal issues in 2017, I had to move from a 5500 sq. ft. home into a 1700 sq. ft. townhome. I downsized BIG TIME. I got rid of a lot of furniture and household stuff, but not drums, CD's, DVDs, LPs and electronics. I now have two spare rooms stacked to the ceiling, a packed garage, a crowded living room and no place to set up. I can't play in this neighborhood due to the proximity of the homes and the environment. IT SUCKS!

I've kept EVERYTHING drums going back to 1968, except for gifting an Acrolite and some cymbals. I have two Ludwig kits from 1972 and 1980 and boxes and boxes of drum stuff. I use two big, clean waste management recycle bins with wheels to move and store my racks and some of the hardware.

The price for Recording Customs has doubled since I bought them in 2010 and the prices for everything else has dramatically increased as well. My goal is to move back into another big home with a nice big yard in a couple years. Until then, I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING PERIOD!
I hear you loud and clear! There's a reason for everything under the sun... this might be your time to have some quiet time, maybe even family time, whatever it is unfortunately you have to go with the flow.

Just remember everything is temporary. Time is flying by and before you know it you'll be drummin' again!

Drummer_D

Last edited:
  • Like!!
Reactions: RVN

Rock Salad

I am in acquisition mode. I just had a huge purge to facilitate an acquisition, about >50 lbs of cymbals for a snare drum btw. Plus I gave my friend a cheapo set but complete with stands, pedal and good cymbals. Ideally I will purge in order to continue my acquisitions.
So at this point my cymbals, bell, snare drum and gigging hardware are what I consider ideal. I'd like some spare hardware for when my main squeeze is packed up from or for a night out, then maybe a nice floor tom or bass drum

dwsabianguy

I'm pretty much constantly in acquisition mode! But considering I'm actually making my rent by doing studio work, I consider it a capital investment. That said, I do need to repair a couple things and move them along.

Last edited:

cdar

Acquisition mode!
New Gretsch Renowns + Brooklyn Steel
New Roland SPD::One pad
New e906 microphones

Then, moving out one kit to a friend’s kid…I’m also throwing in a few extra cymbals and stands as a way to purge some old stuff…

yammyfan

Acquisition mode!
New Gretsch Renowns + Brooklyn Steel
New Roland SPD::One pad
New e906 microphones

Then, moving out one kit to a friend’s kid…I’m also throwing in a few extra cymbals and stands as a way to purge some old stuff…
How do you like the Brooklyn steel? I bought one to go with my Renowns and it is dynamite. Looks right at home with the Renowns too.

Pootle

Hold steady - I really do have everything I need though I do love ordering, receiving and opening up carefully packed drum paraphernalia as much as the next person. Occasionally think I’d like a new wood snare or consider opening the Pandora’s box of darker cymbals but I have restrained myself, for the moment..

eric_B

Purge mode, slowly trying to sell gear I haven't been using for years, when I can get a good price for it.

cdar

How do you like the Brooklyn steel? I bought one to go with my Renowns and it is dynamite. Looks right at home with the Renowns too.
I love it and was glad the matching snare for the Renowns was backordered, steering me to the Brooklyn…

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Let's see....

Recently acquired: A couple of logos for my Ludwig kits

Currently for sale: Legend PB snare 14x6.5
(I recently took my Ludwig CM's in downbeat sizes off the market to put them at our practice place).

Want to buy: 14x6.5 Black Beauty to go with my vintage Ludwigs
More stick wrap bc what I have now is garbage.

timmdrum

Silver Member

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Holding steady at the moment with an itch to purge. I definitely have more stuff than I need but it's not critical. Though the itch to acquire may rear its head at any moment.