Define me a good-fantastic drummer

Steven P

Not massively important but I’m just curious to what other people think.

What should a drummer be able to do for you to call him/her a good/very good/fantastic (or outstanding) drummer in rock/metal?

A good rock drummer should be able to have good rhythm, a steady beat and most importantly be on time.

A very good rock drummer should be able to do the above and play most types of rock.

A fantastic rock drummer should be able to do any sort of rock no matter what the music is. (as long s it’s rock ofc)

A good metal drummer should be able to have good rhythm, a steady beat, be on time and add some speed.

A very good metal drummer should be able to do the above and play some different styles of metal music and be a bit more technical.

An outstanding drummer should leave me speechless. Great at all/most styles of metal. Anything from Metal-death metal. Outstanding dmetal drummer meaning they would need to play blast beats/double bass drumming at 200+bpm and be very technical

alparrott

Platinum Member
Not massively important but I’m just curious to what other people think.

What should a drummer be able to do for you to call him/her a good/very good/fantastic (or outstanding) drummer in rock/metal?

A good rock drummer should be able to have good rhythm, a steady beat and most importantly be on time.

A very good rock drummer should be able to do the above and play most types of rock.

A fantastic rock drummer should be able to do any sort of rock no matter what the music is. (as long s it’s rock ofc)

A good metal drummer should be able to have good rhythm, a steady beat, be on time and add some speed.

A very good metal drummer should be able to do the above and play some different styles of metal music and be a bit more technical.

An outstanding drummer should leave me speechless. Great at all/most styles of metal. Anything from Metal-death metal. Outstanding dmetal drummer meaning they would need to play blast beats/double bass drumming at 200+bpm and be very technical
Well, I hate to tell you, but ultimately it doesn't matter what one person or even a group of people thinks. I can think of at least a couple of big-name rock and metal drummers who have sold millions of albums, start flame wars on YouTube, and have signature gear created by the companies they endorse, yet don't meet any of these requirements.

There is no checklist, no linear skills progression in this game. Even at the top of the profession, someone is better than you at something.

Besides which, locking it into rock and metal, right there, is creating the definition of a limited drummer. The best drummers are the ones who can sit down and play convincingly in a multitude of styles.

By your definition, the best rock/metal drummer in the world would be lost four bars into a blues jam.

There is a *lot* more to the kit besides these points.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
People who play from the heart...for me it's all about how a musician feels music, how deeply. Secondary is their execution of their instrument. To have both.... on a high level....I'm happy. Simple. Deep, deep feel, really deep, and awesome, inspiring execution. It's evident when someone is playing from that 'feeling' space and it's positively electric.

Most people I know play from the head. Not all, most. The ones who invest their heart in it are the ones who really connect with everyone. That's what audiences are secretly yearning, to see someone who can transcend everything and just channel their emotion. That's music at it's best, communicating the human experience through musical emotion. Some people just do not have that capacity. They just can't let go. They are too cool.

opentune

Platinum Member
People who play from the heart...for me it's all about how a musician feels music, how deeply. Secondary is their execution of their instrument. To have both.... on a high level....I'm happy. Simple. Deep, deep feel, really deep, and awesome, inspiring execution. It's evident when someone is playing from that 'feeling' space and it's positively electric.
I think Steve Jordan embodies what you speak of here, the most. That guy escapes, has gone places in his head and heart, when he drums. You can see it, you can feel it, he *becomes* the beat, the groove. There are many great drummers out there, but off the top of my head Jordan is the person that fits your description well.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yea Jordan for sure. Stanton is another guy. They are conduits. Groove flows out of them. It comes from a deep place, not the head. They have tapped into what I like to think of as the universal well of rhythms. They transcend their minds and go beyond to an ego-less place where they are able to open up themselves and let rhythm flow through totally unimpeded.

Being a conduit is the highest level I can think of.

Otto

Platinum Member
An "A" List Drummers Characteristics are no different than any other "A" List Musicians Characteristics...which tend to overlap with the general characteristics attributed to a decent person.

Respectful, punctual, positive, able and forgiving.

The "able" part is the easiest to evaluate.

FacelessForaDay

The best drummer is invisible until they jump out and rip your head off.

Restraint and knowing when not to use a chop is the most important chop of all. That said, you have to know them to know when NOT to use them.

PDL

Good drummers can play everything etc

Amazing drummers drive cars into swimming pools etc