Deer hunting 2022

A J

My wife and I live on 65 acres of heavily wooded mixed pine/oak forest. She's allergic to beef and pork.... but not venison. She's sending me into the woods almost every day in order to drag back a deer.

I'm fairly new to deer hunting. Got my first one just last year at age 57.

Many deer hunters are looking for trophy bucks with huge antlers. Me? I'm perfectly happy with a big fat doe. I want meat, not antlers. The last few days, my luck has not been good. I've caught some glimpses of deer but nothing that I could safely shoot.

I'm going out again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Ronzo

Good luck 🤞
Bow or gun hunter?
Ground blind, tree stand or spot and stalk?
Can you get extra tags in Michigan?
I hunt both but bow hunting gives me a much longer season. In Ontario Canada 🇨🇦 we have up until end of December with archery equipment. I hunt to put meat 🥩 in the freezer as well.
My father in law is the only other hunter in the family and just got some moose meat and liver from him. 😋

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I'd put out a salt lick and take them from the comfort of your home.

I could take as many deer from my back deck as I could eat but I don't because I like seeing them in my back yard. I live in Bucks County so there's that.

The Shepherd

Good luck 🤞
Bow or gun hunter?
I hunt both but bow hunting gives me a much longer season. In Ontario Canada 🇨🇦 we have up until end of December with archery equipment. I hunt to put meat 🥩 in the freezer as well.
My father in law is the only other hunter in the family and just got some moose meat and liver from him. 😋
I'm in Southwestern Ontario and my week is coming up. I'll be out there with my muzzleloader at my sisters place. They have 60 acres of ravines in an old growth Carolinian forest. Great for sitting up top as you can see down into the ravine plus along the other side.

If I don't get one with the gun, I'll be out there on weekends with my Excalibur crossbow in a ground blind. My knees are no good for climbing into tree stands anymore.

Good luck everyone!

C. Dave Run

Gold Member

I could take as many deer from my back deck as I could eat but I don't because I like seeing them in my back yard. I live in Bucks County so there's that.
Same here, I'll shoot them with a camera, but that's it. They are safe in my yard and they know it. I see deer almost daily.

Good luck AJ. Used to hunt in most of my NY, Western MA in the berkshires,and northern Maine piscatiquis county. Did bow and rifle in all. Tree stands, ground blinds , spot and stalk , never shot a deer over feed.
These days it’s mostly northern Maine, no doe tags up there to speak of really and only one buck limit. I have passed on some younger spikes and forks to let them grow even though the one spike and one fork I’ve taken up there both dressed out over 150 lbs.
The three 8 points I’ve harvested up there all dressed out over 180 lbs with the heaviest being 198 missing the big bucks if Maine club by 2 lbs. Gotta be 200 and up dressed to make that .

It’s rough to pass up any buck up there as you could spend a week or 5 and see nothing and that’s happened more times than I care to remember and has left the freezer empty by passing up on a few looking for a heavier deer .
If conditions for the 8 days I go are favorable I may pass up on smaller deer looking for that 200 to 250 dressed brute. It all depends on weather conditions, rut/deer activity and sign I’m seeing , or not , but I mostly , but have , don’t pass up on many . Sometimes it hasn’t worked in my favor but two of the 8 pts including the heaviest were the result of passing up two other smaller bodied and small ( spike and a fork) deer. I passed on a big fork on my first day ( I’d guess pushing 175 dressed) about 5 years ago because all conditions were favorable for a much heavier and bigger racked deer . That one bit me in the ass, but I was certain with a full week to hunt I was making the right decision . WRONG LOL 😂.

Just shows ya, there certainly are no guarantees in hunting and as I get older and don’t like my freezer devoid of venison over the winters , I’ll be hard pressed to pass on all but the tiniest spikes.

I won’t be hunting this year . I made the 7 hour drive north on Sunday and left on Monday ( longer story) so I’m SOL this year and so annoyed as they’ve got snow on the ground and more coming and conditions are near perfect with lots of rut activity.

Good luck to you again on filling that freezer with tasty ,healthy, lean protein 👍🏼

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Good luck fellas-I'd be out there but I've been sick and I still feel like crap. Do y'all have skinning a rack so you skin and process your own deer. It's worth it-all the deer processors here have gotten ridiculous expensive-and some put all the deer in bins so you don’t get your deer. Which I’m picky- before season starts i fatten my does on corn and then pick a younger doe. You can kill 12 deer in Ga (2 bucks) and I use to fill my freezer every year with venison hamburger, sausage, and cubed steak but last few years I may take one doe. We just don’t eat it like we use to, but I still enjoy getting in woods trying to figure there habits, putting up stands, and everything but shooting them - now my cell phone is filled with pics. I like to guess age and weight of deer before I process it and examine wear on teeth. I enjoy everything still but sitting in a stand. It drives me crazy now where I could go all day now I’m lucky to last two hours.The thrill is gone but I don’t want to quit.All activities of walking and carrying 50lb sacks of corn ( it’s legal the State wants you to shoot a dozen deer) through woods keeps me in shape. I don’t know how many Ive killed -it has to be well over a hundred. Over 50 years so dang hundreds is more like it as I think about it. As a teen the limit was all I could kill no matter what- I was foolish and not very ecology minded- ironically I think the guilt spurred my ecology interest in college.

But they are ruminates so everyone I killed was good for the climate ROFL. That’s a joke.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Small mammoth - Copy.jpg
Elephants produce as much methane as ruminates so even back then we had climate scientist eradicating the problem. LOL

A J

Good luck 🤞
Bow or gun hunter?
Gun hunter only. I use ground blinds I constructed in the Summer. Some are ridiculously huge, 3' thick walls of oak logs with a tarp roof. I also stalk a lot, basically moving from blind to blind. Yes. You can get extra doe tags in Michigan. So far, I haven't gotten a clean shot opportunity.

Good luck fellas-I'd be out there but I've been sick and I still feel like crap. Do y'all have skinning a rack so you skin and process your own deer. It's worth it-all the deer processors here have gotten ridiculous expensive-and some put all the deer in bins so you don’t get your deer. Which I’m picky- before season starts i fatten my does on corn and then pick a younger doe. You can kill 12 deer in Ga (2 bucks) and I use to fill my freezer every year with venison hamburger, sausage, and cubed steak but last few years I may take one doe. We just don’t eat it like we use to, but I still enjoy getting in woods trying to figure there habits, putting up stands, and everything but shooting them - now my cell phone is filled with pics. I like to guess age and weight of deer before I process it and examine wear on teeth. I enjoy everything still but sitting in a stand. It drives me crazy now where I could go all day now I’m lucky to last two hours.The thrill is gone but I don’t want to quit.All activities of walking and carrying 50lb sacks of corn ( it’s legal the State wants you to shoot a dozen deer) through woods keeps me in shape. I don’t know how many Ive killed -it has to be well over a hundred. Over 50 years so dang hundreds is more like it as I think about it. As a teen the limit was all I could kill no matter what- I was foolish and not very ecology minded- ironically I think the guilt spurred my ecology interest in college.

But they are ruminates so everyone I killed was good for the climate ROFL. That’s a joke.

I’ve started processing my own Art 👌🏼. For the reasons you’ve mentioned . Getting expensive and some processors started weighing your deer and as you say , they’re give you a pre specified weight if meat of the cuts you wanted 😳!!!!
I never went for that ! First I had that told to me was in Massachusetts. I walked out ! Reason being , I know where mine came from and when I shot it and how it was aged and handled during dress out ! No way I want meat from 2,3,4 or more deer when I have no idea how the meat/animal was taken care of pre processing.
As I result of me doing it myself , I get more meat , pretty much zero hair, fat, small silver skin removed and I’m SURE of exactly what the meat was in contact with , which is just my butchering knives and cutting boards that I meticulously take care of . If I have enough time it’ll all be cut and wrapped exact for future use right from the freezer . If not it’s cut to larger bulk cuts and finished at home . It all depends on time I have and location I’m at.

I’ve taken two in Maine that after getting checked got butchered up , put in zip lock bags on ice in the coolers because it was end of last day , checked out of house we were renting and was already two hours late leaving for the ride home . But yeah it’s a better feeling, far cheaper after buying your knives scissors saws and cutting boards, you get your OWN deer and not someone’s deer that they found and dressed the day after they shot it and or the cavity is filled with dirt , and or they punctured the stomach and or bladder and it’s contents contacted the meat 🤮. So many reasons to do yourself and it’s not too difficult . But I get that it’s not always possible or feasible for every to do. I started doing myself 10 or more years ago , but had to bring a few to butchers for various reasons.

Reactions: A J

A J

Any sort of baiting is illegal in Michigan. Salt licks are considered "bait". Call me a nerd, but I would rather not take any deer than bend a rule to get a trophy buck. It's bad here. Everyone cheats (almost). Baiting is widespread. You can buy 40 pound bags of "deer apples" at Tractor Supply... even though baiting is illegal.

Don't get me wrong, Sir. I'm not insinuating that you are cheating. I know you're not.

I'm a relatively new deer hunter (with only one under my belt). When I kill a deer I want to feel like I did everything right. They're beautiful animals and I want to show as much respect to an animal I kill as possible.

Yeah... Sounds flaky, but that's the way I roll.

A J

Good luck AJ. Used to hunt in most of my NY, Western MA in the berkshires,and northern Maine piscatiquis county. Did bow and rifle in all. Tree stands, ground blinds , spot and stalk , never shot a deer over feed.
These days it’s mostly northern Maine, no doe tags up there to speak of really and only one buck limit. I have passed on some younger spikes and forks to let them grow even though the one spike and one fork I’ve taken up there both dressed out over 150 lbs.
The three 8 points I’ve harvested up there all dressed out over 180 lbs with the heaviest being 198 missing the big bucks if Maine club by 2 lbs. Gotta be 200 and up dressed to make that .

It’s rough to pass up any buck up there as you could spend a week or 5 and see nothing and that’s happened more times than I care to remember and has left the freezer empty by passing up on a few looking for a heavier deer .
If conditions for the 8 days I go are favorable I may pass up on smaller deer looking for that 200 to 250 dressed brute. It all depends on weather conditions, rut/deer activity and sign I’m seeing , or not , but I mostly , but have , don’t pass up on many . Sometimes it hasn’t worked in my favor but two of the 8 pts including the heaviest were the result of passing up two other smaller bodied and small ( spike and a fork) deer. I passed on a big fork on my first day ( I’d guess pushing 175 dressed) about 5 years ago because all conditions were favorable for a much heavier and bigger racked deer . That one bit me in the ass, but I was certain with a full week to hunt I was making the right decision . WRONG LOL 😂.

Just shows ya, there certainly are no guarantees in hunting and as I get older and don’t like my freezer devoid of venison over the winters , I’ll be hard pressed to pass on all but the tiniest spikes.

I won’t be hunting this year . I made the 7 hour drive north on Sunday and left on Monday ( longer story) so I’m SOL this year and so annoyed as they’ve got snow on the ground and more coming and conditions are near perfect with lots of rut activity.

Good luck to you again on filling that freezer with tasty ,healthy, lean protein 👍🏼
I'm fortunate to live in the woods on 65 acres. I just walk out back across the creek, and I'm hunting. It's literally a 2 minute commute! That said... I haven't had any luck this year. I won't give up. Just a matter of time.

A J

I’ve started processing my own Art 👌🏼. For the reasons you’ve mentioned . Getting expensive and some processors started weighing your deer and as you say , they’re give you a pre specified weight if meat of the cuts you wanted 😳!!!!
I never went for that ! First I had that told to me was in Massachusetts. I walked out ! Reason being , I know where mine came from and when I shot it and how it was aged and handled during dress out ! No way I want meat from 2,3,4 or more deer when I have no idea how the meat/animal was taken care of pre processing.
As I result of me doing it myself , I get more meat , pretty much zero hair, fat, small silver skin removed and I’m SURE of exactly what the meat was in contact with , which is just my butchering knives and cutting boards that I meticulously take care of . If I have enough time it’ll all be cut and wrapped exact for future use right from the freezer . If not it’s cut to larger bulk cuts and finished at home . It all depends on time I have and location I’m at.

I’ve taken two in Maine that after getting checked got butchered up , put in zip lock bags on ice in the coolers because it was end of last day , checked out of house we were renting and was already two hours late leaving for the ride home . But yeah it’s a better feeling, far cheaper after buying your knives scissors saws and cutting boards, you get your OWN deer and not someone’s deer that they found and dressed the day after they shot it and or the cavity is filled with dirt , and or they punctured the stomach and or bladder and it’s contents contacted the meat 🤮. So many reasons to do yourself and it’s not too difficult . But I get that it’s not always possible or feasible for every to do. I started doing myself 10 or more years ago , but had to bring a few to butchers for various reasons.

Last year I shot my very first deer; a decent sized doe. I stood in the woods calling all my buddies who promised to help me gut it. Guess what? Nobody was available! 😠

I did it myself with a knife and an Army entrenching tool. I took it to a local processor. He was actually VERY impressed with how well I did! I told him I just treated it like big bluegill. He especially liked the fact that I split the rib cage with the entrenching tool. He said it made his job easier.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
I could never shoot a deer. I remember playing catch (baseball) on a side street as a kid. A neighbor's dog was hit by a car and I threw my baseball glove on the ground crying on the way home. But damn it..im crrrazy bout deer jerky..i just put the hunting to get it out of my mind.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I never went deer hunting. I don't know if my area has a baiting law, because as much as I like deer, I can't bring myself to kill one. I even stopped fishing because of the pain and distress it must cause the fish. I could have deer most of the year just from my backyard. My deck is elevated off my lawn like 6 feet. I could use a compound bow I have. I just can't do it unless I was starving. I'd fish again too if I was starving. But not for sport.

I'm fortunate to live in the woods on 65 acres. I just walk out back across the creek, and I'm hunting. It's literally a 2 minute commute! That said... I haven't had any luck this year. I won't give up. Just a matter of time.

Keep at it ! The more time you spend in the woods the more you learn ! You’ll come to appreciate and respect or appreciate and respect more the the harsh environment they live in and traverse , the pure strength and survival instinct of ALL the animals in the woods .
Like with drumming it’s in the doing and time spent working at it and learning . You’ll come to understand your particular piece of property and how the wind works in relation to your land and terrain and stand location, the deers travel routes , how thermals ( not wind ) carry your scent up a slope in the am and down in the late afternoon and evening, where doe’s and bucks spend their time during the different seasons and during pre rut , seeking, chasing and actual rut( mating) times. How to look at and decipher sign ( prints, scrapes, rubs and beds ) . There’s so much to know and at the same time you don’t need to know it all to just do it .
I’ve been at it since going with my father before I was yet 12 and I’m still enjoying and maybe more importantly learning . I love when I have an ah ha moment in the woods from putting things together I’ve learned .
And although I’d love to fill the freezer every year , it’s not my main objective . It’s to get out there , decompress, relax , and be an actual part of and connecting with the land . Plus it’s impossible , for me anyway, to be successful 8 hours away from home in the north woods of Maine. Very limited scouting time if any , so I’ll still hunt likely areas to look for promising sign and set up a stand as quiet as I can and get out of there . This usually occurs on a Sunday ( the scout and set up ) as there’s no Sunday hunting in Maine 🙄. Plus the deer and sign are difficult to find . Not a lot of deer up there but a lot of them are old and big !!!! The deer change their locations up there from year to year depending on logging operations and available food sources . So it’s all gotta come together quick for me up there to be successful. I could hunt an hour from home and shoot doe’s all day and have plenty of meat but I don’t wanna hear planes, trucks, sirens , barking dogs , alarms etc…. Etc…. .
I went up there in 2005 with friends and fell in love with the beauty of the big woods, the silence and the chance to maybe tag out in a 250-300 lb dressed out big boy !!!! It happens up there for some each year .
You never know when that big boy will step out up there . You could also never see a deer in a week or even 4 of hunting .

If you’re in the big woods of Michigan ( or even not really) this was a book that I enjoyed and helped me with a completely different hunting environment than I had in upstate NY.
Good and applicable stuff in here though even if ya don’t hunt the “ big woods “

You ever have any questions on anything just shoot me a pm and ask . I’m by no means an expert but I’ll answer and help if able .

Edit: oooops , here’s the book .

Last edited:
Last year I shot my very first deer; a decent sized doe. I stood in the woods calling all my buddies who promised to help me gut it. Guess what? Nobody was available! 😠

I did it myself with a knife and an Army entrenching tool. I took it to a local processor. He was actually VERY impressed with how well I did! I told him I just treated it like big bluegill. He especially liked the fact that I split the rib cage with the entrenching tool. He said it made his job easier.

Fantastic !!!!!

I’ve gotten many a thanks from butchers in the past myself ! It’s nice to be complimented but I like that it affirmed what I had read and learned was showing in the work , just like drumming and most other things in life . Keep at it and be prepared to be frustrated as hell sometimes 😂. The only guarantees in the deer woods are there are no guarantees😉.

Reactions: A J