Decisions Decisions

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm hitting the age-old issue of having my desires exceed my budget.

Where I am: Renown + Set of Ks. Set of A Customs on deck for sale

Where I want to be: George Way Studio Maple with one set of K's and one set of A's.

I can sell my A Customs and buy a set of A's, or I can sell the A Customs + Renowns to get a GW Studio Maple. Doing both exceeds my annual budget and would incur the wrath of my (lovely) wife. First world problems, I know....

What would you do?

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Budget schmudget.

If you are not a Hindu, you only live once.

But, I have lived my life with reckless abandon so, consider the source.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Can't give you advice. Not enough information.

What kind of music do you play?
What band are you in?
How loud is the band?
Are your drums amplified when played live?
Are you a heavy hitter?
Who do you want to sound like when you play?
What color drums do you like.
What...........?
What.......?
Why........?
How.......?
When...........?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Sell the A's and Renowns, keep the K's and buy George Way.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█
██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀

JustJames

Platinum Member
Not enough information to make a recommendation.

Please post a picture of your wife.

All other considerations aside: It is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Superman

Gold Member
What the hell does a pic of his wife have to do with helping him buy drums?!

Kamak, I think if it were me I'd hold on to the Renowns and get your cymbal situation squared away. I'd also sell the Accents (assuming you still have those), keep the Renowns and add the GW when you add enough to your budget. I just feel like you will regret selling the Renowns down the road, you couldn't ask for a better second kit.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Can't give you advice. Not enough information.
Inline:

What kind of music do you play? All/Any, usually involving guitar, bass, drum, vocals, keys, and sometimes horns
What band are you in? None. Aside from a Friday-night-music-club, I spend most of my time collaborating with various people on the internet and chasing my own ambitions.
How loud is the band? From whisper quiet to complete sonic mayhem
Are your drums amplified when played live? No. I do not play live anymore.
Are you a heavy hitter? Not especially.
Who do you want to sound like when you play? I want to sound like the song that I am attempting to play to. I attempt to emulate Carter Mclean, but am years away from reaching his level of proficiency.
What color drums do you like? I tend to favor black kits, though I'm a bigger fan of austerity than one color over another.

Kamak, I think if it were me I'd hold on to the Renowns and get your cymbal situation squared away. I'd also sell the Accents (assuming you still have those), keep the Renowns and add the GW when you add enough to your budget. I just feel like you will regret selling the Renowns down the road, you couldn't ask for a better second kit.
Unfortunately, I need to sell the Renowns in order to afford the GW. The breakdown looks like this....

I get $300 a month to play with (includes drums, movies, drink, weed, whatever). Wife gets the same but is into expensive purses. Either that, or she's sleeping with some dude named MZ Wallace!

Selling the A-Customs for ~$550, selling the Renown for ~$850. GW ordering opens in spring (May-ish) and I expect them to run approx $2000. So I have to save almost every cent I have till May, and get the $1400 squared away in order to make the $2000 for the GW kit.

The Accent kit is currently in my neighbor's garage, and I'd use it in the interim (between when the Renown sold and the GW arrives).

Option B would be to sell the A-Customs (~$550) and buy the A's I want (~$750) next month. Wait another year for the GW.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
OK KamaK:

Based on your answers and the picture of your wife, buy the GW's ASAP and keep the cymbals you have for a while.
They are nice cymbals. Do your cymbal deals later. Cymbals won't lose their value.

Get the GW's because loving your drums is very important to the way you sound when you play. Same goes for wives.

JustJames

Platinum Member
... Doing both exceeds my annual budget and would incur the wrath of my (lovely) wife.
What the hell does a pic of his wife have to do with helping him buy drums?!
Here on Earth, some of us have a thing called humour.

Some of us spell it different, but it's a useful and enjoyable social construct, even if it does take some learning.

...[PIC OF SAID WIFE]...
Hold off on the drums!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
"I get $300 a month to play with (includes drums, movies, drink, weed, whatever"

Buy used drums or save up longer for new drums or buy used weed.

It's those options for you. I recommend wait and save while you're honing your decision making.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Sell the A customs, keep the Ks.

Another option would be to scour for a Slingerland or slightly tarnished Rogers/Ludwig kit. That'll get you into the vintage sound at a much more affordable price. I do like the George Way stuff too but that price drives my cheapass away.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Another vote for Ways and K's.
You can always get another set of A's down the line, new, used - whatever.
K's are harder to replace, once you find that special set of K's that fit you.
And don't rule out the GW Walnut kits :)

Neal