Decent Used Drums for around $600-$800

StaciMonk

I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy (used) in the price range of $600-$800. Just a snare, bass, hihat & crash is all that I really desire. Do you play/prefer Pearl, Tama, Sonor, etc & why. What makes the choice you've suggested so amazing. This will be my second set of drums and I really want to purchase something that will make me happy for the next 20 years.

20 years.... I'm not sure about that

If you want a nice kick, snare and hat setup for 800 dollars just get a maple bass drum, 14" ludwig metal snare and 14" New Beats. I think that's the general all purpose recommendation. The depth of the snare and size of kick is entirely up to you but I would get a 5x14 Supra and a 20x14 maple kick from a reputable brand.

Browse craigslist, ebay, guitarcenter, musicgoround, facebook market place and goodwill for local sets and come back with links, please.
Most brands have made good and bad sets. Also, general advice is of little use if you can't find them in your region. :)
Sizes and cymbals depend on your prefered type of music but used Sabian AA and HH or Zildjian Avedis can often be found for less than $100 each and those are good allrounders.
If you want this set to last for the next 20 years, I'd still get a set with toms - just leave them in storage for now. Who knows if you'd like to have some in a few years?

This is a great time to start looking. When the weather warms up, a lot of parents (especially the household matriarchs) begin to "clean out" and start looking around for stuff that hasn't been used and it taking up a lot of room. Keep your eyes on the local craigslist and facebook marketplace for someone who wants to sell everything just to get rid of it. With your budget, you should be able to find something pretty decent.

I agree. Christmas was a few months ago. By now some people that bought drum sets may have lost interest in drumming and are advertising their drum kits for sale. This is a good time to study craigslist ads.

Craigslist

This set, with cymbals and hardware included, was on sale for $650 on my local listing.

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 8.35.43 AM.png

Last edited:
Find a set of Gretsch Renown. Mine are about 10 years old now, and if you saw them, heard them, you would not be disappointed. They are going to outlast me. I was lucky to find mine about a week old from a guy who had to get rid of the asap. Be patient, look around. Most major drum companies sell enough lines that a used set of the higher lines should not be hard to find in your price range. Happy Hunting.

Another vote for Gretsch Renowns.

I love my Stage Customs (both sets) but my Renowns are truly something special.

If you're really looking for just a kick, snare, hats, and a crash/ride, the most bang for your buck will be piecing things together from places like Reverb and craigslist. For $600-800 you could easily pick up solid, pro-level used/vintage pieces. What brands you choose is really down to musical preference and what genres/situations you'll be using them for.

Personally, I'd go cheaper on the snare and get an '80s or '90s Ludwig Acrolite. They're cheaper than the '60s-'70s versions, and are just fantastic sounding and versatile drums. You can usually pick them up for under $200. That leaves you more cash to spend on cymbals and the kick, which are naturally going to be more pricey.

I'd recommend either a PDP CX kit that was made in Mexico and has maple shells or a Yamaha Stage Custom with the birch shells. I was going to buy a couple of these before I was beat to the punch. The hardwear is good. They have nice finishes. The key is not paying too much. You really need to watch lots of listings to see what things sell for. There are lots of kits out there but many which are priced way too high for what they are.

$600-$800 ...... Just a snare, bass, hihat & crash is all that I really desire. ........ This will be my second set of drums and I really want to purchase something that will make me happy for the next 20 years.
What's the kit you currently own ..... and what type of music do you play? That will determine what I'd suggest. I you really are serious about wanting just a bass, snare, hi hat, crash ...... I'd suggest (for starter suggestions) a kick that's a different size to your current set. I've got bass drums 16", 18", 20", 22", 24", and 26" Same with the snare. If you have a wood snare (for example), get a metal one.

Hi hat and crash ..... I have Sabian HH Vanguard 14" hats ($210 used) and a 21" ride/crash ($186 used). Awesome cymbals.

When I started playing again I picked up a Ludwig CS/Combo, 10 lug 22"bass drum was one of the best I've ever played. It is a 5 piece kit in beautiful shape. A fresh change of heads and I was off and running when I picked up a pair of New Beat's, Zildjian A ride and a Sabian Crash. The kit was as nice a kit I ever had as a kid. Hardware (tom tree) was made much better than the tom attachments of the late 60's - early 70's. Just picked up a nice set of Sonor's for about $800.

When I started playing again I picked up a Ludwig CS/Combo, 10 lug 22"bass drum was one of the best I've ever played. It is a 5 piece kit in beautiful shape. A fresh change of heads and I was off and running when I picked up a pair of New Beat's, Zildjian A ride and a Sabian Crash. The kit was as nice a kit I ever had as a kid. Hardware (tom tree) was made much better than the tom attachments of the late 60's - early 70's. Just picked up a nice set of Sonor's for about $800.
I've only ever seen 8 lug Accent Combo kick drums. Mine only has 8, at any rate.

The Accent CS has 10 lugs. Maybe you've got that model?

Back