Deathmetalconga and Zambizzi - drum duets!

zambizzi

Platinum Member
So, Mr. Conga swung by my place last night for a jam session. He brought along a set of ashikos and a hang drum and we made our best attempt to set the roof on fire. It was good times! What a great guy and drummer! Here are the highlights.

Track 1 is DMC on my stave kit, me on the ashikos.

Track 2 is me on the kit and DMC on the ashikos.

"Blue Veil" is DMC on the hang and me on the ashikos...I chopped out the best parts as it was a 40 min. jam alone.

Somewhere along the way I smacked my thumb-knucle on the rim of the ashikos and it's swollen up about 4x bigger than normal today... :)

Anyhow, not too shabby for a couple of guys who have only met twice, eh?

Attachments

Awesome! I really enjoyed listening to that. You guys need to play that in a park or in a mountain range, very cool. Blue Veil would of been better if their was a person playing your stave kit as well.

xopethx

NOT FAIR!!!

I want a hang drum sooo badly.... it sounds amazing, guys.
Nice playing, and wonderful drum sounds! Although in the first track, the ashikos were a bit high up in the mix, and i could hear their mic clipping a bit

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
Nice stuff! It was very entertaining. The mixture of sounds were really brought to life by my massive sub, so I'm almost hearing it in person, and I'm impressed!

Glad to see people on here are meeting up, it's to bad we can't have a whole group of us doing this type of thing.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Good stuff! When does the CD come out?

You guys should come up with rhythmic "heads" when you get together. It was hard for me to discern if one of you was playing the supportive role while the other soloed or not. In a couple of spots, it sounded like you both were doing fills unintentionally together.

I'd say the neighbors probably called the fire department...

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun. The clipping came from me smacking the ashikos way too hard. I'm just barely able to play a drum kit...hand drums are a whole new universe I've yet to get familiar with. If I get any type of hand drums, I'd definitely get ashikos...man...they sound fantastic.

aydee

Platinum Member
Great jams,lads. The joys of a drum circle seems quite evident in both you guys.. Vin, I am aware of DMC's taste for the exotic but you're a badass on the ashikos, man! ( whatever they are )

Last edited:
T

trkdrmr

I have to ask (Zambizzi)

Could you post a listing of your mic/mixer setup?

Thanks!

BTW: I am attempting to d/l the mp3's right now, but here it takes forever....

EDIT: very cool jams! The hang drum has to be the single most unique and mysterious sounding percussion instrument on the planet. I dig the exotic/ethnic sounds. Great job!

Last edited:

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I have to ask (Zambizzi)

Could you post a listing of your mic/mixer setup?

Thanks!

BTW: I am attempting to d/l the mp3's right now, but here it takes forever....

EDIT: very cool jams! The hang drum has to be the single most unique and mysterious sounding percussion instrument on the planet. I dig the exotic/ethnic sounds. Great job!
Thanks man!

I have the following mic setup (all Shure) running into a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 mixer which runs directly into my laptop's sound card.

1 Beta 52 kick mic
1 SM57 snare mic
2 SM57 overhead mics

I just moved one of the overheads over to the ashikos for all the drum kit/ashiko jams. For the Blue Veil tune we just had one SM57 shared between us, overhead.

I don't have any of the pre-amps turned up, it's au natural!

T

trkdrmr

Thanks man!

I have the following mic setup (all Shure) running into a Behringer Eurorack UB1202 mixer which runs directly into my laptop's sound card.

1 Beta 52 kick mic
1 SM57 snare mic
2 SM57 overhead mics

I just moved one of the overheads over to the ashikos for all the drum kit/ashiko jams. For the Blue Veil tune we just had one SM57 shared between us, overhead.

I don't have any of the pre-amps turned up, it's au natural!
NAKED SOUND >:]

It's good to know you can get that kind of sound without resorting to rediculously expensive mics.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Zambizzi, thanks for recording that. I had a great time jamming and we should do it again soon.

Thanks everyone for the comments. True, we should orchestrate things a bit more, but it's pretty good for a pick-up jam and I want to refine things more as we do this.

I encourage any of you to hook up with board members whenever you can.

EDrums

Cooollllllllll !!!!!! That was nice. Though, I still can't wait to hear the iron next to the bubinga.

rhythmkitchen

I am new to the forum as far as posting etc. I searched on Ashiko out of curiosity and came upon this thread. I really enjoyed the recordings. I especially liked the hang and ashiko stuff. You guys created a cinematic atmosphere. I love to hear people telling a story with percussion
What kind of skins are on the ashikos? Sounds like goat to me. I like the sound but I am a more a fan of cow for ashiko. That being said, I have been building a hybrid drum, part ashiko and part cajon with a hexagonal baltic birch head and native hardwood shell.
Here is my friend Jesus Andujar and I doing a little demo of some of them. There are a bunch more on my youtube channel danamaguiredrums
Hope you like it. Wear headphones for the best fidelity. The difference is exponential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEUWjcgHiQ&index=5&list=PLHNDO5bmMosRtq7u2za6BU1jSRngUw-R-