Dear Diary.

baz

Silver Member
...Had to postpone Thursdays practice.

My Daughter came home from university and we had to go and pick her up.

We had a get together, wives included at one of our guitar players house. It was a great evening. We got together as friends, ate our body weight in home made pasta, then sat around and had a visit. It was especially nice that the wives all got along. We are really starting to bond.

We got together last night for one more kick at the can before Christmas. Being in that festive mood, we had a few wobbly pops, It was a nice relaxed, jam. Playing new songs that we are all familiar with has been a great way of connecting on a musical level. We noodled around, and the noodling would lead to a riff from a song we all knew, which would then morph into that song. It was a good lesson in listening and anticipation. We are starting to develop this band wide musical intuition with each other.

Another observation from our informal noodle-rammas is that when we do hit on a song, we have been able to get through a good many of them sounding reasonably profficient. It would not take a lot of polish to make a few of them performance ready. The more we learn to listen to and play with each other, the easier it should be to do this.

I am really feeling good about this.

Merry Christmas to all.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...Where hs the winter gone ?

It's hard to believe that it is already the middle of August. Band is going well, very busy at work. Yadda yadda yadda...

Musically, we have come a long way from the beginning of this thread. We are working on three songs, two Beatle tunes, Hey Bulldog, Dear Prudence, and a Greatfull Dead number, Scarlet Begonias. Aside from that, we don't have anything on the horizon, so we noodle and jam a lot at our Monday Monday. I can see how we are getting more familiar with each others style. I think that this has made us all a little braver. I know that I am taking more chances, playing out of my usual boom ba bappa boom ba bappa comfort zone.

I picked up a used 18" HH china. When I got it home, I did not like it as much as I did when I agonized for three weeks over it. I used it at our jam from two weeks a go, and the rest of the band loved it. Now I have to keep it on the set up wheather I like it or not.

Thank You for your time.

Barry

A-customs

Silver Member
Nice thread................,being a drummer for more than a few years,it Does take comitment,and ALOT of work and time to make the leap to join a band and gig,as opposed to just having a kit and playing at home......................While i Retired from playing out for a few years due to my REAL JOB getting in the way,I recently have been pulled back in,and am now involved in 2 different groups. The love of playing out is something that i cant get out of my skin. .To me it always has to be fun,and if it isnt there was no point..By reading your post,you and your band SEEM to be alot alike and hence having fun.....That my friend along with the music is what keeps it all real..Sweet Kit by the way..Kevin

baz

Silver Member
. am definately
Nice thread................,being a drummer for more than a few years,it Does take comitment,and ALOT of work and time to make the leap to join a band and gig,as opposed to just having a kit and playing at home......................While i Retired from playing out for a few years due to my REAL JOB getting in the way,I recently have been pulled back in,and am now involved in 2 different groups. The love of playing out is something that i cant get out of my skin. .To me it always has to be fun,and if it isnt there was no point..By reading your post,you and your band SEEM to be alot alike and hence having fun.....That my friend along with the music is what keeps it all real..Sweet Kit by the way..Kevin
...Thanks Kevin, we do have a lot of fun..

I have been playing for fifteen years now, but this is the first "Band" I have been a real part of, and it has been a bit of a roller coaster on the old learning curve. We all have our musical preferences. Paul, one of the guitar players is a Greatfull Dead, Phish, long noodling jam tunes kind of guy. Brent, the other guitar player has a real blues bent. James the bass player seems to be more of a conventional, sixties seventies pop songish guy. I am a sixties seventies, Neil Young, Bruce Cockburn, Gordon Lightfoot, four four on my four by four.

Coming to a mutual consensus on what songs to do, and how to do them has me at a bit of a disadvantage. If I want to do a particular song, I have to be able to sing it, Me singing while playing sounds like I am singing in a shopping cart rolling down a cobblestone road.
James and Brent both sing, so I have to get either of them to sing it. James jumps all over any Beatle song that gets tossed in the hat. If we are not carefull we could end up a Fab Faux wannabe tribute act. I could play Beatles music all night and never get enough of it.

My mission is to get a Neil Young song in the rotation.

Once again, thank you Kevin. I think you got it, and I am now getting it.

Barry

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
My first visit to this thread Barry. Such an enjoyable read. Great to hear of your progression playing out and the pleasure you're getting from the whole deal.

baz

Silver Member
My first visit to this thread Barry. Such an enjoyable read. Great to hear of your progression playing out and the pleasure you're getting from the whole deal.
...Thanks Keep It Simple.

We are all having a lot of fun, and we are moving forward. We will play out here and there, but most if not all those here and theres will involve buddies, or co workers.

I think the social chemistry we share, is a real blessing. I have played with people that I did not like on a personal level, and that does suck some of the joy out of it all. Our musical progression has been very encouraging as well. As much as I poke fun at my playing, and focus on my negatives, playing with these guys has made me a better musician, and band mate.

Once again KIS, thank you for the encouragement. I really do appreciate the support.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...Practice last night was a bit of a groaner.

We had a few missfires, but we still had fun, and we are slowly smoothing out some of the rough spots. James bought a Rickenbaker off of e-bay, so he introduced us to it. I spent most of the jam just listening to the bass, what a sweet guitar.

In our ending of Scarlet Begonias, the riff kind of meanders into something that Paul (guitar player) morphed into Spencer Davis Groups I'm a Man. We got all funky on that one. We managed to get through it a couple of times, but it needs some polish.

I learned a very important lesson last night. Normally I play a little timidly, preferring to find, the beat, and hang on for dear life. I hate screwing up in front of the guys, so I play it safe, which leads to boring...

Last night I had my can of spinach which tasted remarkably like Miller Genuine Draft. Right after the trumpet flourish, and the pipe going all steam whistle, I went against my grain, and got brave. I tried to throw in what I thought would fit, and if I screwed up, I tried again untill I got it, or found that it did not work. If I am going to screw up, so what. I will never improve or develop if I don't take chances.

Here's to a couple more degrees up the learning curve.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...How to go from feeling pretty good to cringing in emberassment after three minutes of play back.

Listened to our practice from the other night.

Yuk.

On second listen it actually did'nt sound as bad. I have some work to do.

Barry

Last edited:

baz

Silver Member
...and then there were three.

We have suffered our first band casualty. Paul, one of our guitar players has dropped out. He says that he wants to take a break, but I am pretty sure he has bailed.

We have become good friends since we started playing together. I hope that we can maintain that friendship.

We Three will regroup, and keep going.

Barry

T

TFITTING942

...and then there were three.

We have suffered our first band casualty. Paul, one of our guitar players has dropped out. He says that he wants to take a break, but I am pretty sure he has bailed.

We have become good friends since we started playing together. I hope that we can maintain that friendship.

We Three will regroup, and keep going.

Barry
Sorry to hear that Barry, hope you guys can either soldier on as a power trio or find a suitable (just as crazy) replacement. Good luck and keep posting!

Filacterua

Myself, I am auditioning them as much as they are auditioning me, and if we do not connect, it might be my decision. I do have a pretty good feeling about this going in, but I have to take it one jam at a time.
Love this...I'm not a star, but I deserve to be in a healthy environment...

baz

Silver Member
...Thanks TFITT, Filac..

It looks like we will be going forward as a trio. I am going to have to chip in on vocals.

In it's humblest of beginnings, this was a three piece band with a singing drummer. I have heard some of their earlier recordings, and I have to say that musically, the two remaining originals have really polished up. The guitarist that left was with them for two years, while I joined them around the same time as this thread began. Brent, James, and myself have been e-mailing back and forth, and we all agree that we are going to re tool and jump back in. If I am forced to sing, I might get to pick a few songs that I would love to butcher, I mean do.

First post Paul practice this Wednesday.

Once again this thread rolls on....

Barry

dairyairman

Platinum Member
so what is it now? bass, lead guitar, and drums? i've been in that situation and the thing i noticed is that the drums really stick out because the instrumentation is so sparse. in the live recordings of us as a trio you can hear every little thing i play in stunning detail, good and bad.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the guitarist bail Baz. Ho hum, that's band life I suppose. On a positive note, trio work can be a bunch of fun. As DAM said, the nakedness is very exposing but it has tightness benefits and an edge you just can't replicate with more players. The drums certainly play a more pivotal role in a trio, and that has to be a good thing, if not a little challenging. Let us know how Wednesday goes. I really miss trio playing.

baz

Silver Member
so what is it now? bass, lead guitar, and drums? i've been in that situation and the thing i noticed is that the drums really stick out because the instrumentation is so sparse. in the live recordings of us as a trio you can hear every little thing i play in stunning detail, good and bad.
...Thanks Dairyman.

That is it, drums , guitar, and bass. I think we can pull it off. One blessing from all of this is three minutes less guitar solo per song. I will miss the lead-rythm harmony though.

Barry.

A-customs

Silver Member
Hey Barry sorry about you losing a member.Thats rock and roll for ya.My Band is 3 piece and i LOVE IT!!!Now like was said The drums stand out the good,bad and ugly.But its a GAS..........Kevin

baz

Silver Member
Sorry to hear about the guitarist bail Baz. Ho hum, that's band life I suppose. On a positive note, trio work can be a bunch of fun. As DAM said, the nakedness is very exposing but it has tightness benefits and an edge you just can't replicate with more players. The drums certainly play a more pivotal role in a trio, and that has to be a good thing, if not a little challenging. Let us know how Wednesday goes. I really miss trio playing.
...Thanks KIS.

Wednesday, we listened more than we played. Brent brought a disc he had burned with some songs that he thought we might try. Some of them might be keepers, but there were also some klunkers in the mix. I suggested the song "Gone" by John Hiatt. We listened to it a couple of times, and will probably start working on it.

My limited drumming ability has me a lttle worried in regards to being more exposed, especially if I am to sing as well. I want to take the Larry Atamaniuk approach, and play as sparse and simple as I can get away with. I am hoping that whatever style we chose, less is more works for the drums. However, I will kick ass where I am able.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
Hey Barry sorry about you losing a member.Thats rock and roll for ya.My Band is 3 piece and i LOVE IT!!!Now like was said The drums stand out the good,bad and ugly.But its a GAS..........Kevin
...My drumming is heavy on the bad and ugly, but it sure feels good.

A-custom, This exposure has me worried. I am hoping that once the three of us get a few songs under our belts I will loosen up. I know that we are going to have fun, and this will take me a few more degrees up the learning curve.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
...hola once more my dot comrades.

I thought this thread was dead. I was not sure of my commitment to we three. The chemistry has been altered, and my fear was that it was going to lead to a colapse.

I called off last weeks jam. I used the work excuse, but the truth was, I was not really in to it. Funny how a week can turn things around. The planets were all in alignment, conditions were ripe for our jam tonight, and once again, I am pumped.

We have another retail business parking lot gig in June. Tonight we went through our list , playing the songs that we have been playing since we first got together, and sounded good enough to bolster our shaky confidence. I think that we were all surprised that we were as tight as we were.

My sense is tonight the chemistry changed yet again, but this change is very positive. I think tonight we got the sense that this will work.

Barry