Dead iPod

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So after five years, my old iPod Touch died. This is not a concern of the hundreds of songs I had on it, I have all the original CD's and recordings (still). So I'm debating what to do next.

This isn't about moving forward either. I have no interest in storing this much music on my phone, tying the phone up from navigation of communication. I actually used my iPod for background music between sets, and it can also be the emergency device in my solo act if my computer (running the same files) dies.

But I'm wondering if I should try one of the myriad mp3 players made by other companies? Heck, I was looking at some of those little SanDisk sport mp3 players that could be had for $60. My question is, how hard or easy is it to load files into those and then organize the files into playlists and such? Does anybody use one of these third-party mp3 players? Obviously they're a lot cheaper than a $200 32GB iPod Touch, but is it as easy to use for $60?

I'd appreciate anybody's thoughts on this.

A decade or so ago i had an iPod Nano and i really loved that thing! Small, very easy to use. The battery won't charge anymore, so stopped using it around 2012 or so. Since then i use my cellphones for music on the go. My latest cellphone is a Samsung A51 which has 128 GB of internal memory and also an option for a SD card. More than enough memory to store everything; i don't play games on it and have only a few essential apps. So all the space is either used by mp3's or pics/vids i take. I only use the internal memory which after more than a year has only 54 GB used.

Great thing as well is that my car's 'media centre' supports Android Auto, so i can hook my cellphone via USB-C to it and use VLC to play the music on my phone. Really easy to use!

A decade or so ago i had an iPod Nano and i really loved that thing! Small, very easy to use. The battery won't charge anymore, so stopped using it around 2012 or so. Since then i use my cellphones for music on the go. My latest cellphone is a Samsung A51 which has 128 GB of internal memory and also an option for a SD card. More than enough memory to store everything; i don't play games on it and have only a few essential apps. So all the space is either used by mp3's or pics/vids i take. I only use the internal memory which after more than a year has only 54 GB used.

Great thing as well is that my car's 'media centre' supports Android Auto, so i can hook my cellphone via USB-C to it and use VLC to play the music on my phone. Really easy to use!
My truck has Bluetooth so my Apple devices connect automatically so I figure one of those third party MP3 players with Bluetooth should be able to do the same thing?

My truck has Bluetooth so my Apple devices connect automatically so I figure one of those third party MP3 players with Bluetooth should be able to do the same thing?

I think that might do the job as well. Haven't used mp3 players in a very long time, so can't really suggest something besides that hehe.
If it's ScanDisk i think you'll get a pretty good product. Have a few SD cards from them, last a lifetime!

I have an iPod Classic that is at least twelve years old, the 120GB model.

Last year it quit working. I don't use it a lot these days, but I had 4,908 songs loaded on it and organized into playlists that were occasionally useful. Not having the use of it these days is just slightly annoying, I was ready to pitch it. My wife, being far more practical than me dropped it off at a local "fix-it shop" that repairs computers, phones and the like. He replaced the battery, all was well. I think the total repair cost was under $50.00

I bought a cheap clock radio years ago that had a charging port in the top. It sat on top of the book case behind where I use my computer. More importantly, it had a clock readout that my wife got used to. That clock radio died. I lost my iPod charging port, and my wife lost her clock. It was a cheapy when I bought it, made by iHome I think. I found a much nicer replacement on Ebay. It is an RCA. Although it was listed as used, it came in it's original box with the original packing, manual and wall wart which looked to have been wrapped at the factory. I think that it was actually new old stock. I paid $25.00 for that with shipping, another crisis was averted.

As for other MP3 players, my wife is not an Apple fan. She has bought and later thrown away at least four cheap MP3 players in the time that I've owned my iPod. She finally gave up on them and just streams music from Pandora through her Android these days.

Last edited:
i have a 16Gb Sandisk Sport Go that i use for practicing along to... mp3s are transferred in Windows just like regular files in Explorer

its okay for what i'm using it for (has actual buttons instead of having to wake up the screen, then sliding onscreen "controls"), but the software is pretty weak compared to ipods... the "random" function can sometimes repeat the same song three or four times in an hour (from a choice of 2000), there are playlist limits (ie 120 songs max each, might be more, haven't counted), and the back button doesn't always repeat the last song, which can be annoying

also, no random function on the playlists, so they go in the order they were added, ALWAYS

but it sounds good, is small, and cheap, and the battery (cuz its new) doesn't die halfway through my sessions

After iTunes corrupted my audio library (years ago) I began using VLC Media player on my tablet & phone. It’s free.

To my dismay, I have never owned an iPod. I think it might have something to do with having a career working in an office cube where tapping fingers on the desk is often a disturbance to other coworkers (I am incapable of listening to good music without engaging in some sort of coordination exercise).

Come to think of it, I'm still a holdout on Spotify or any music service that charges a monthly fee. I don't know what Pandora is. Don't tell me it's free.

And no, I don't know what an mp3 player is. At least not until today.

Put a laptop next to your kit, it gives you the option of streaming, playing tracks from playlists or storage devices, running a click and recording practice notes. Worth the $$$

my iPod classic that I had for 16 years died recently

had 20,000 songs on it ... of which I listened to probably 300 if I'm honest ...

But it deflated me a bit ... it was my companion ...

I still have all the music on an external HD but I looked at it recently and it's a mess ... nothing is labeled properly ... mostly just numbers and some sort of code language that I'm sure I'll never organize.

I mostly depend on Amazon music when I feel like hearing something ... but I did lose lots of things that Amazon, and Spotify etc will never have... like projects I worked on that never came out ... or rough mixes of things I did that I liked much better than final mixes etc.

RIP iPod

Grunter's Dad turned me onto this site.

Haven't used them yet. I'm basically keeping my Classic on a charger.

As I read this, I am reminded of how since Apple has decided to make proprietary fasteners and excessive amounts of glue to deter repairs of their product, even go so far as to send cease and desist orders to people who publish how to videos and schematics that now all of the sudden the public has become aware of right to repair laws, or the lack thereof.
I find is fascinating that as soon as the contraption in your pocket is slightly threatened there's an uproar, but not a peep when the same nonsense has been going on in the Ag industry for decades and has effected the prices of what you eat to survive. I guess phones are more important than farmers.

As I read this, I am reminded of how since Apple has decided to make proprietary fasteners and excessive amounts of glue to deter repairs of their product, even go so far as to send cease and desist orders to people who publish how to videos and schematics that now all of the sudden the public has become aware of right to repair laws, or the lack thereof.
I find is fascinating that as soon as the contraption in your pocket is slightly threatened there's an uproar, but not a peep when the same nonsense has been going on in the Ag industry for decades and has effected the prices of what you eat to survive. I guess phones are more important than farmers.
hahahahaha .... wtf ?

Theoretically yes you should be able to pair any bluetooth player to your truck's system. However, when in doubt, look at Youtube reviews of whatever you are going to buy, there will be at least one that will answer most of your questions. If for some reason there is not one, then Google "insert device name here" reviews and go from there. usually you will have success with one or the other.

Back