DCP Threads

EhhSoCheap

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? ALMOST ALL of us are in the market for new stuff, ALL THE TIME. IF the admins allow it, especially being private owned, this shouldn't even be a question. THEY ARE ALL SELLING SOMETHING.
Good point. Am I allowed to post a video of me talking about and playing my 5 rides, then say “PM me for details on how to buy these cymbals” at the very end?

incrementalg

Gold Member
I’m a fan of the DCP videos! I find them informative and entertaining. I always look forward to new content on the DCP YouTube channel. I also enjoy seeing the shop active in the forums.

I’ve visited the shop and made purchases as well. Brick and mortar shops were a staple for me as a kid starting out with music and drumming. I gained so much more than purchases. Knowledge, networking, meeting fellow musicians and making friends!

Drumprof

In the Classifieds/Wanted thread you can. That is advertising central.

Perhaps there should be a vendor forum for the shops and builders to show off their stuff and peddle their wares.
Now that’s an idea.
Would keep the field level for all the vendors, especially small operations that we all support and enjoy their content.

Good discussion boys!

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I think a reasonable distinction worth considering is whether or not the post/video has value or merit beyond the sales aspect.

I'd suggest that anyone posting 10-15-30 minute videos playing AND discussing drums/cymbals should be applauded for taking the time to do so. I've said before and I still sincerely believe that the instructional merit and the discussion fodder present in DCP's videos goes FAR beyond the sales aspect, and should be welcome in the main gear subforms, and not tucked away in some random corner of Drummerworld.

If we're going to go all the way down this hair-splitting rabbithole, I'd say that EVERY thread in the gear section is an ad for somebody. Considering very few of the major companies sell directly to the public every picture, video demo, or whatever is potentially going to send someone somewhere to buy something.

Even though this thread is singling out DCP, I'd like to mention the couple of recent threads about Joe Morello's ride cymbal. Memphis Drum Shop made several videos about the Morello ride, and while on one level I'm sure they're hoping we'll buy one of the reissue cymbals from them, the story of the history of the cymbal they included was far more than just a sales pitch.

I'm also still struggling to see the case for why this is "bad." At least one that goes beyond the regurgitation of the exact letter of the rule anyway. I don't see where the kinds of posts DCP is making harms the flow of the forum. I have no particular love for DCP, I don't know Shane or anyone else that works at DCP, but I find it hard to believe that we all don't see a significant difference between a classified thread "buy my cymbal" post and posting the shootout videos DCP is making.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
erhaps there should be a vendor forum for the shops and builders to show off their stuff and peddle their wares.
The problem is, the paid advertisers might stop paying for adspace. Granted, being confined to a single section doesn't give them as much exposure as the current ads that appear on virtually every page of the entire site, but some may choose to save the money. That means this site loses funding.

And, those free posts still wouldn't be as informative as DCP's.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The problem is, the paid advertisers might stop paying for adspace. Granted, being confined to a single section doesn't give them as much exposure as the current ads that appear on virtually every page of the entire site, but some may choose to save the money. That means this site loses funding.

And, those free posts still wouldn't be as informative as DCP's.
I see, that makes perfect sense. We definitely don't want the site to lose funding.

All_The_Drums

Oh...hey. I just got wind of this epic thread. I'll throw in my 2 cents and keep it brief, so I don't bore anyone.

I'm the video guy here at DCP. My job is pretty cool because I have access to pretty much "all the drums", and we get to create content around what we (as drummers) find interesting. If I post something here, it's because I think it's genuinely useful to the community as a resource.

With that said, I completely understand how people (like OP) would perceive anything posted by a drum retailer as (at best) a veiled sales pitch.

Also - thanks for all the positive feedback! When I was told there was a 6-page thread about our videos, I cringed pretty hard. This was a pleasant surprise.

-Adam (the video guy)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
In my mind, in a highly specialized forum like this, why is there even a rule against advertising the highly specialized products that only drummers need? That makes no sense to me.

It's pretty relevant. We need stuff as drummers.. Why is the advertising a problem again?

I'd vote to change or alter the rules to accommodate. It's pretty clear even from the detractors that everyone loves the DCP videos. It's not the content, it's the way the rules are written. That's what's causing the issues. Change a sentence or two.

I have a suggestion: Create a subforum that the big advertisers have to pay to post there.

People who are interested can surf ads and comment to their heart's content.

People who are against these types of things can ignore that forum. We want everyone happy.

The only thing is that the "What's New" and the "New Posts" button shouldn't be able to draw from the paid subforums. People would have to go there manually. Problem solved?

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
I don’t see complaining on this thread.
the OP just brought a point of discussion that has some validity. DCP starts threads by posting videos under an account of their drum shop. I guess the question...isn’t that advertising?
I disagree. The OP to me read as just spiteful commentary from someone with nothing else to contribute or an axe to grind. I have no idea who they are or why this matters to them. No one makes anyone come here. They are however sorely missing the point though if they don't see how major contributors such DCP are necessary to bring sufficient content for people to give a damn about coming here.

We all advertise everytime we name/recommend/complain about a brand if you want to really get picky

AudioWonderland

Silver Member
IF they're monetized by the channel owner who is also a member here, then yes.

Hey, that's a good idea! You're going to be the just-created Director of Social Media Compliance in charge of deleting the accounts of anyone who's making .0001 every time we watch their videos!

That's what I've been trying to say.
Compensation is not relevant. Advertising is advertising. Whether or not the creator or benefactors are getting paid doesn't change the nature of the content. You guys handle this issue far better than about any site I have looked at. A little common sense goes a long way and this site does it far better than most.

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
In my mind, in a highly specialized forum like this, why is there even a rule against advertising the highly specialized products that only drummers need? That makes no sense to me.

It's pretty relevant. We need stuff as drummers.. Why is the advertising a problem again?
I think we keep missing the point here. It's Bernie's forum and he can do whatever he likes. He doesn't have to ask, explain, answer, etc.

Personally, I love the advertisement restrictions here, and it's one of the reasons I'm a member, since our household does not allow advertisements in the media we consume.

KamaK

Platinum Member
How do you do this?
DNS/IP whitelisting and blacklisting on an edge device. Akin to a pi-hole , but combine with additional layer 7 checks.

Ultimately, sites like this are welcome to display a GuitarCenter advertisement, but that ad must come from drummerworld or guitarcenter. It cannot come from ads.aggregator.scamu.ru.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Compensation is not relevant. Advertising is advertising. Whether or not the creator or benefactors are getting paid doesn't change the nature of the content.
To the nth degree, yes. And as I pointed out, drawing a hard line like that would become very oppressive to a number of members here who make the slightest effort to promote themselves in a way that might earn even a small amount of income for them.

You guys handle this issue far better than about any site I have looked at. A little common sense goes a long way and this site does it far better than most.
Thank you, and you're right about that. We understand when it's to nobody's advantage to take a hard line on certain things. Our demonstration of good sense is a big part of why Bernhard made us mods.

Bermuda

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Question...how are those who classify the DCP videos as an intrusion blocking adds from their TV programming, YouTube, videos, etc, etc, etc?

Drumprof

I disagree. The OP to me read as just spiteful commentary from someone with nothing else to contribute or an axe to grind. I have no idea who they are or why this matters to them. No one makes anyone come here. They are however sorely missing the point though if they don't see how major contributors such DCP are necessary to bring sufficient content for people to give a damn about coming here.

We all advertise everytime we name/recommend/complain about a brand if you want to really get picky
Well It may have rubbed you wrong but I didn’t take it that way.

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
It was snare that was sent to the Nashville Drum Show (NSMD show?) and Andy offered a special price so that he wouldn't have to pay to ship it back to England. I bit. :)

I think I mentioned it here at the time, late-2014.

Bermuda
It was almost mine! I missed out by mere seconds (it was surely longer than that, but I'll go ahead and take some liberties with accuracy in the interest of dramatizing my plight).

I love the DCP videos and they are the least ad-like content put out by any of the music stores on YouTube, imo.