DCP Threads

Peedy

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sure seems like all of the DCP threads are nothing more than adverts from a retailer rather than discussion between drummers or other interested parties. My recollection is that this isn't allowed by the user agreement.

Rain the poop down on me, I can take it.

Pete

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I hope the DCP videos don't go away.
Agreed. The videos are honest and informative, more-so IMO than being just ads for the shop. Shane is an established member of the drumming community - I've known him personally for 21 years - and he (and members of his team) participate in the threads, they don't just make hit & run posts.

Technically, no, there's not supposed to be any commercial ads in the threads. But the rule exists to keep people from showing up out of the blue to sell product. I don't think that DCP has crossed that line.

Bermuda

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Agreed. The videos are honest and informative, more-so IMO than being just ads for the shop. Shane is an established member of the drumming community - I've known him personally for 21 years - and he (and members of his team) participate in the threads, they don't just make hit & run posts.

Technically, no, there's not supposed to be any commercial ads in the threads. But the rule exists to keep people from showing up out of the blue to sell product. I don't think that DCP has crossed that line.

Bermuda
Their videos are so user-friendly for drummers. The whole operation is just nothing but drummers, and it shows in how they approach their product choices and videos. I’m pretty grateful they exist. I hope they make it through this recession.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Still gonna put my vote in the “crossed the line” category. IMHO, once we flex the rules for folks that are friends or associates etc, it’s downhill from there.

Pete
Pete, I respect your opinion. But in all fairness I think the DCP crew is providing us all an invaluable service on hearing the differences between multiple products in a well recorded environment at their expense (time and staff) in producing these pieces. Even the manufacturers benefit from
our feedback and posts because we have a voice on what we like and don't like about products featured in the DCP videos.

bermuda

Staff member
once we flex the rules for folks that are friends or associates etc, it’s downhill from there
Should we apply that to those who post their YouTube videos to garner traffic and $.00000001 per view?

There are rules which are enforced to various degrees here. If all rules were followed 100% verbatim, this would be an oppressive place.

As for Shane being a friend or associate, it's not really about that. He provides great info, and I see that as a benefit to the members. It would be like me not being able to talk about Ludwig or Sabian or the other brands I endorse, because I might be a shill for them to help sell their product. I hope everyone here knows that I'm not.

Bermuda

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I like the DCP videos, and I enjoy and appreciate them for the work involved in putting them together. In an increasingly "can't try before you buy" world we live in I find these kinds of videos invaluable, and as a gear lover, very interesting.

Yes, the videos are being made by a retail establishment, but the videos themselves are not soliciting sales, and I think that's a distinction that's worth keeping in mind.

Even if we try to force these videos into some kind of a good vs. bad rubric, I think the benefit to the drumming community FAR outweighs any perceived negative.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It's one thing to hawk drums and that's it...but as stated Shane provides us with videos that we would make ourselves if we had the time and the gear. So he's indulging us with stuff we really wouldn't be able to see otherwise. He gives back at least as much as he takes here. The same could be said for Andy. We would be much poorer without them. The rule was designed for hit and run, driveby, fart in the elevator and get off type of entity.

bermuda

Staff member
Yes, the videos are being made by a retail establishment, but the videos themselves are not soliciting sales, and I think that's a distinction that's worth keeping in mind.

Even if we try to force these videos into some kind of a good vs. bad rubric, I think the benefit to the drumming community FAR outweighs any perceived negative.
Yep.

He gives back at least as much as he takes here. The same could be said for Andy. We would be much poorer without them. The rule was designed for hit and run, driveby, fart in the elevator and get off type of entity.
Yep.

You guys cut to the chase better than I!