David "Pick" Withers

ToneT

Pick is such a fine, tasteful drummer. Love his playing with the Straits!
Hearing him on Communique made me consider having the fat snare sound for everything.

Supernoodle

Great choice...

The drums on the Dire Straits (debut) album were recorded so beautifully. You get immersed in all the details of some of the most musical and dynamic playing ever performed. Desert island disc!

LiveandDangerous

Sultans of Swing, one of the finest songs ever written. The cymbal pattern on the 'just as the time bell rings' line, the snare sound is quite unique.

opentune

Platinum Member
Nice. To me the drums in Sultans is more remarkable than the guitar playing and song.
I read he eventually left the band for 'fear of becoming a rock drummer'.

Ruok

Silver Member
I never get tired of listening to Sultans of Swing and the first 4 Straits albums. Withers is one of my favorite drummers and if I only could find out once and for all, what were those specific hi-hats on the first D.S. album?????!!!!! Then I can die in peace!

opentune

Platinum Member
I never get tired of listening to Sultans of Swing and the first 4 Straits albums. Withers is one of my favorite drummers and if I only could find out once and for all, what were those specific hi-hats on the first D.S. album?????!!!!! Then I can die in peace!
According to this article, likely Paiste cymbals of some sort (an endorsee) and also a RB Gretsch kit 12-14-18.

Ruok

Silver Member
According to this article, likely Paiste cymbals of some sort (an endorsee) and also a RB Gretsch kit 12-14-18.
Thanks! But I'm looking for specifics and I've been looking for decades for an answer and I've been given various unsubstantiated answers. I know in the Paiste profiles book from 1981 he listed 14" Sound Creation Sound Edge hats, and I've seen live shows on YT where they look like 2002 Sound Edge and possibly other hats. I'm looking for the specific model and size on that 1st album and I don't believe they're the Sound Creations. I think they're 14" 602 hats (if so, which ones?) or maybe 2002 hats or even Giant Beats. Maybe they were some special combo. I may never know I guess. I think Withers wife actually came on this forum many years ago and said they were 602s, but wasn't given a specific model.

Bozozoid

Dear God...what an unsung hero. He can groove you into bad health. Communique is a fave of mine to. I loved his groove on Dylan's you gotta serve somebody. Pick is one BAD....shut! Yo mouth.