David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

Stroman

Platinum Member
Sounds like a good lineup!! A couple of my favorites in there.

MFB - I like Dennis Chambers, but I know what you mean. There are any number of drummers who I KNOW are monsters, but they still don't float my boat.

Trivia fact - I hung out and chatted with Dennis Chambers at Gordon Miller Music in Baltimore many years ago. Embarrassingly enough, I had NO IDEA who he was. Quite a few people seemed to know him, so I figured he was a bigwig, but *I* didn't know him. He was just hanging out, messing around on a practice pad, and talking with whoever. Very laid-back and friendly guy!

Anyway, I think I'll enjoy this week's players.

aydee

Platinum Member

thats for the heads up, Al......and here we were thinking drum solos dont work. Drummers know nuttin' I tell ya..

cdrums21

Gold Member
David Letterman seems to have a fascination with drums and drummers. Is he an aspiring drummer like Johnny Carson was? Just curious as to why drummers are featured performers here, that's usually not the case. It's cool, I liked Sheila E's performance the best out of the first group. She seemed to have more energy and a little more double stroke chops coming at you in cool ways.

N

nhzoso

Sweet, hope it's better than rd 1 where they either did not have enough time or the arrangement just flat out sucked. I agree though Sheila E was on the money.

Looking forward to seeing all 4 of these guys, Royster I know little about other then watching him do the Moeller stroke one time. Looking forward to seeing Dennis Chambers who is awesome and the only pro drummer who has ever listened to me play the drums backstage after a clinic.

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
I'm worried Royster Jr. will just be a gospel chops fest despite how well he can groove... I've never heard an incident where Gavin Harrison (despite him being my favorite drummer of all time) or Stewart Copeland ever playing an actual drum solo, so I'm expecting something different from both of them actually. Dennis Chambers will be fantastic as well.

All in all, I think this will be a much more interesting drum solo week than the previous one. This is pretty awesome.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I'm looking forward to Gavin and Stewart's solos much more, I think, exactly because they often DON'T solo... but happen to be exciting, innovative drummers, and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

As for Tony and Dennis... I'm looking forward to them because they're freaking monster players, and they will be doing something cool. And while I don't like every drum solo I've ever seen, I usually find five or ten seconds of something I like in every drum solo I've ever listened to.

Looking forward to watching the videos and chatting with all of you about it. In fact, by the time I type this, the East Coast should be in 11:00 news, getting ready to watch.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Helz yeah!

There was a thread about the first drum solo week on letterman, and I said, "They should have got Stewart Copland on there".

And I got dogged because "Stewart Copland doesn't play solo's"

Well look who's playing...
On behalf of the entire forum, we are sincerely saddened at the lack of foresight on our part and do hereby bequeath this PUBLIC APOLOGY in your honor Mr. cobamnator. This matter is now considered closed. No further allegations shall be made in reference to this forums ability to predict likely events.

;)

Nodiggie

Gold Member
lol...catching it on west coast now...thx for the reminder.
With the line up first posted, I thought it was a cruel joke...this is going to be very, very good.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
To be honest, and to have some discussion LOL, I wasn't that impressed.
He's fast. Ok. But I realized that I don't like this dead drumsound at all anymore,
and those fast gospel chops (combined with the dead sounding toms and snare)
get very old now. It's all more or less the same really, isn't it.
Sure he can play, but there wasn't any "wow" effect at all for me.

By the way, was that a Chester Thompson sig ride? I own one of these, and
it looks quite different than his... Sounds similar though.

Now bring on Gavin Harrison!!! :D

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest, and to have some discussion LOL, I wasn't that impressed.
He's fast. Ok. But I realized that I don't like this dead drumsound at all anymore,
and those fast gospel chops (combined with the dead sounding toms and snare)
get very old now. It's all more or less the same really, isn't it.
Sure he can play, but there wasn't any "wow" effect at all for me.

By the way, was that a Chester Thompson sig ride? I own one of these, and
it looks quite different than his... Sounds similar though.

Now bring on Gavin Harrison!!! :D
Agreed all round Swiss. Of course, he's much more impressive than I'll ever be, even in my dreams! I'm hoping Gavin has the space to offer his superb sense of journey. I'm expecting big quality from the Brit' team this week!