David Letterman Drum Solo Week II

J

jorn

I though Dennis' solo kept the groove of the song throughout and was pretty cool.
Does anyone think Gavin played to a click? I thought he was holding back a few times - possibly to listen to the click. The band also came in perfectly after the solo.

hx

jorn

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Does anyone think Gavin played to a click? I thought he was holding back a few times - possibly to listen to the click. The band also came in perfectly after the solo.
My guess is that GH not only played to a click but the click had cues for the band spots. If there was no cue and everyone was counting bars then that's impressive concentration by all concerned.. I asked him on his thread here and he told me it was magic, so he ain't giving up the tricks of the trade without a fight :)

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
My guess is that GH not only played to a click but the click had cues for the band spots. If there was no cue and everyone was counting bars then that's impressive concentration by all concerned.. I asked him on his thread here and he told me it was magic, so he ain't giving up the tricks of the trade without a fight :)
I think you're on to it. I started counting measures about half way through the solo, and it just was not working out evenly. I don't even remember him looking at Paul, but could be that they had a signal.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I think you're on to it. I started counting measures about half way through the solo, and it just was not working out evenly. I don't even remember him looking at Paul, but could be that they had a signal.
Yes I does work out perfectly!! Gavin's playing always works out flawlessly. Paul didn't
need a look because the form has always the same length.

I'm sure they used click, but rather than cues I believe it's Paul cueing his band, as you
can see he does with every solo drummer, i.e. Dennis Chambers' kicks.

If you look at Paul during Gavin's solo breaks - he actually seems to count in the microphone,
for the band to follow I guess.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure they all played to a click. Look at the Dennis video, when Dave asks him to play it again... The band was suddenly a lot less precise with their cues, so I'm guessing they didn't restart the click track for that second run.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
You're braver than me, Ken. I wouldn't even try :)

If you look at Paul during Gavin's solo breaks - he actually seems to count in the microphone, for the band to follow I guess.
Don't know who Paul is (conductor?) but if he's counting the bars then I'm impressed! Those polyrhythms play merry hell with my counting.

I'm pretty sure they all played to a click. Look at the Dennis video, when Dave asks him to play it again... The band was suddenly a lot less precise with their cues, so I'm guessing they didn't restart the click track for that second run.
That makes sense. Tony R would have been playing to a click too?

burn-4

I noticed that too- the guitarist comes in way early on one of them.... not that i blame him, i totally lost the beat too!

burn-4

Having just watched these week 2 vids its interesting to see peoples opinions

Personally I think if you are going to do a drum solo to a mainstream audience (not one made up entirely of drummers) then really you need to impress them as non musicians.
For that reason Tony really takes the prize here- great playing and technique but also good showmanship
Gavin- amazing drummer with some fantastic ideas, but for me its too technical for average Joe to understand and hence its just clever for clevers sake (a bit like vinnie's beat displacement stuff)
Stuart- really disappointing in my eyes. His technique was all over the shop and his playing is really sloppy. Great energy and yeah he is a hugely influential player but just didnt do it for me.
Dennis- nice groove but as others have mentioned not really showing his full capability and i think would perhaps be a bit "boring" to the average listener

Just my 2 cents

S

sticks4drums

Having just watched these week 2 vids its interesting to see peoples opinions

Personally I think if you are going to do a drum solo to a mainstream audience (not one made up entirely of drummers) then really you need to impress them as non musicians.
For that reason Tony really takes the prize here- great playing and technique but also good showmanship
Gavin- amazing drummer with some fantastic ideas, but for me its too technical for average Joe to understand and hence its just clever for clevers sake (a bit like vinnie's beat displacement stuff)
Stuart- really disappointing in my eyes. His technique was all over the shop and his playing is really sloppy. Great energy and yeah he is a hugely influential player but just didnt do it for me.
Dennis- nice groove but as others have mentioned not really showing his full capability and i think would perhaps be a bit "boring" to the average listener

Just my 2 cents
Very, very well said. I totally agree.

mrmike

Silver Member
The award for best sounding snare drum goes to.........Roy Haynes! I sure don't need any more snares but his is now on my short list. The more I watch these videos, the more I am convinced Roy has the best feel and overall sound.

Average

Once again, I'm very happy that Letterman is hosting these drummers. Its all very inspiring. I'm sure we're going to see a lot of really excellent drummers in the years to come who reference these shows as sources of inspiration.

Only one criticism of the whole thing - the drums sound like ass. That has nothing to do with the drummers or the drums themselves. Whoever is doing sound made it what it was.

The drum sound is really disappointing. Its like, there has been over 20 years of technology improvement since BR was last on Carson, but somehow the drums sound WORSE? WTF?

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
The drum sound is really disappointing. Its like, there has been over 20 years of technology improvement since BR was last on Carson, but somehow the drums sound WORSE? WTF?
Yes, there seems to be some kind of processing that's creating a charmless, artificial quality to the sound. And yes, it's not the drummers, it's the micing / recording.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Don't know who Paul is (conductor?) but if he's counting the bars then I'm impressed! Those polyrhythms play merry hell with my counting.
Yes, Paul Shaffer, leader of the CBS orchestra.

Three points:
-I suppose he's got click in his ears too, so it's no difficult counting bars.

-If you're used to (fast) five and seven note groupings, you're good to go for a large part
of Gavin's breaks. Yes, he plays sick polymetric stuff, but it is countable I find. :)

-Imagine the brains of Gavin!!!!

scorch whammin

Gold Member
Just my 2 cents
Agree with you on everyting but this...to the average joe (non-drummer), Dennis's solo was probably more than enough to impress...it's just us drummers that knew he had more in him and wanted more!...:)

Matty G.

If u watch his interview on his drummerworld page, he mentions how he got the idea from subbing in a band where the drummer had a click with cues on it to help with song forms. So in porcupine tree he uses two tracks, one being click, and one being himself talking/counting/cueing so that he doesn't have to count bars during long solo parts and such. I'm sure that's what he did on letterman. Sorry Gavin, u already divulged that secret :)