David and I went to jam night

Magenta

Platinum Member
They're a funny old bunch, the people at my local jam night. Very very cliquey. I'd tried to arrange for David to play with my guitarist and bassist friends, just jamming, but that didn't happen, which was a great pity I thought. He was asked to play "Smoke on the Water", which he declined (wonder why) and finally, he played some funky song whose name escapes me, with my friends, and of course he was fab :D He got a cheer at the end of the evening and they want him to come back.

My band played two songs, neither of which required much drumming (it takes balls to play when David is in the audience!), and I was determined to implement the advice I'd been given from forum members after my last gig. So I turned my sticks round and laid into that kit with real conviction. I missed the very first crash - the cymbals are so high up they practically have snow on them - but that only made me more careful to get things right, and I did. I had a brilliant time, people were dancing in their seats (no room to dance anywhere else), and Liam was VERY pleased with me - so much so that he texted me when I got home to tell me again how well (and audibly) I'd played, and to say how much he'd enjoyed meeting David.

It was lovely of David to come to jam night, I hope he enjoyed it even if it was a bit odd, and I'm chuffed to bits that I was able to thank my friends on DW for all their encouragement and advice by playing well last night. Happy Madge is very, very happy.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the clique is in the room alright! :( "Possessive house band & friends" syndrome isn't uncommon at jam nights, but hey, it's a laugh & beers :)

David = "Smoke on the water" - yeah, I'd like to see David get his Paice head on!

I'm sure David nailed the funk jam, & I'm not in the least surprised they wanted him back (whilst secretly cussing under their breath). Did David get to use his snare, or did he use the (ahem - unique) house offering?

Magenta

Platinum Member
Did David get to use his snare, or did he use the (ahem - unique) house offering?
He diplomatically opted for the unique house offering, but he and Liam had played it here beforehand. In fact, it's still on the stand ... I wonder if he might forget it's there?

I was in the very enviable position of listening to two fantastic drummers, playing a Guru snare and a tweaked-by-Andy kit, under my own roof.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
He diplomatically opted for the unique house offering, but he and Liam had played it here beforehand. In fact, it's still on the stand ... I wonder if he might forget it's there?

I was in the very enviable position of listening to two fantastic drummers, playing a Guru snare and a tweaked-by-Andy kit, under my own roof.
I'm so pleased you're having a good time :) Liam & David are great players, as well as great guys.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Jam nights are the best! I recently went to one and it got me in with a full time function band (who are paying for me to get a new kit), recording sessions (being paid in a snare drum by the guy as he is a master carpenter and luthier) and got 2 festivals coming up that i am sessioning for. Cant beat em!

Magenta

Platinum Member
I'm so pleased you're having a good time :)
Well, I was; David's just gone now :( And he remembered to take his snare :( :( :(

Sounds like a nice evening. Are you going back again?
I don't know when David will be back again but I hope it won't be too long. We go every so often to try out new songs on an unsuspecting public!

Hey - video next time, ok?
There should be some footage in the next day or so: one of the guys always takes video and photos and puts together a montage of all the performers.

Jam nights are the best! I recently went to one and it got me in with a full time function band (who are paying for me to get a new kit), recording sessions (being paid in a snare drum by the guy as he is a master carpenter and luthier) and got 2 festivals coming up that i am sessioning for. Cant beat em!
Wowee, now THAT is a result! Well done, young man!

Otto

Platinum Member
I second the video request!!

Not just for us...but so you can listen back, review and have some honest feedback per your own ears...something I wish I would have done long ago...