Dave Lombardo

neilpscuz said:
Saw Dave at a PASIC clinic a couple years ago, kinda sad, only about 50 people for the clinic.Awesome player, got his auto! Dave will be the featured/cover interview next month in Modern Drummer.

Thats crazy, i would give anything to see one of his clinics!.

He is much more than a double bass innovator-he has flair and style round the kit-seasons in the abyss has some of the best rock fills!. War Ensamble is great-he emulated gunfire and military sounds with his brass snare. I wish i was Latin!.

Dave Lombardo really is a legend in his own time! The driving force behind Slayer, not to mention his other work with Testament and Fantomas... His drumming on "The Director's Cut" by Fantomas is awesome and you get to hear completely different styles of drumming including metal which is so cool to hear one of the worlds best metal drummers do... mix it up, be unpredictable, surprise his fans.

What a treat we're all in for with the reunion of Lombardo and Slayer for a brand new studio album ehh!! Now THAT is going to be mental! Now that's exciting!!! Bring it on!

Lombardo..where do u start!!!!

his double kick is just full on power!! these days most double bass drumming is triggered or smapled and edited wid protools in the studio...back in daves day it was just all about power!! hes the full force behind slayer! i cant wait to hear this new cd!! Lombardos back where he belongs!

I have a lot of respect for Dave Lombardo. It seems when drummers like Lars Ulrich seem not as good as they used to be during their reigning days, Lombardo seems to get better and better. I'm not saying Ulrich sucks, but Lombardo is just better.

Im not a huge metal fan but I like Daves playing his fills are great and he plays brilliantly.

Growing up a metal head I loved all things Thrash. At around 13 years old a neighbor girl dropped Metallica on my brain. That was the beginning. I then found Slayer, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies etc, and was changed forever. Much to my mothers chagrin I stopped cutting my hair and started wearing a lot of black and skulls lol. A drum kit soon followed.

Anyway my music world has expanded to cover a wide variety of music now but of course there is still a significant amount of Thrash on my ipod. I went down a rabbit hole the other day and listened to all the albums from "Show No Mercy" to "Seasons In The Abyss" straight through. I don't do that very much anymore and I should do it more.

Dave's drumming blew me away when I was younger. I spent countless hours trying out those fills and bass patterns. Now a bit older and obsessed with groove I find his drumming no less impressive. I really don't think that Slayer could have had the success it had without Dave Lombardo. To me his drumming is very musical if that makes sense. Some metal today can seem a bit mathmatical to me. There are exceptions but some of the drumming feels a bit soulless. Listening back I was constantly carried along with the groove that Dave put into his playing. Also the way he played all the flashy stuff you could want without overplaying. I know he is a pioneer and anything I am saying is not new but I though I'd share some love and see if others wanted to join in.

Dave-Lombardo.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Huge fan.

In fact, even as an angst teen growing up when Reign In Blood was first released, I've always been a far bigger Dave fan than I'll ever be a Slayer fan. I think he's an absolute giant among men. Him, Bennate and Lars, were pioneers of an entire genre. A genre which Lombardo seemed to lead from the front.

Terrific player. Great innovator. Groundbreaking in his day.

Love his work with Grip Inc even more than Slayer. And his ability to keep up with the sheer diversity of Mike Patton in an outfit like Fantomas, is worthy of recognition in it's own right.

I've always thought drummers should seek out others far from their comfort zone in order for inspiration. Non metal guys could do far worse than turn their eyes to Dave Lombardo for just such inspiration.

Huge Dave fan since my first listen to Show no Mercy in 1985.

Dave Lombardo is one of the best of all time. Has anyone checked out his video on why he was fired from Slayer? It is a real eye opener. Suicidal Tendencies is lucky to have him.

A huge influence on me from the start. Went to see Slayer for the first time in 1985 at "The Marquee" Club in London then again in 1987 on their "Reign in Pain" tour. Absolutely blown away by them & him. Charlie was another favourite of mine :)

Dave Lombardo is one of the best of all time. Has anyone checked out his video on why he was fired from Slayer? It is a real eye opener. Suicidal Tendencies is lucky to have him.
Yep it's a damn shame. Was all set to see him tear it up with Slayer at the Soundwave festival that year when it all went down.

Don't get me wrong- Jon Dette did a great job filling in (for BOTH Charlie Benante with Anthrax and Dave) but nothing beats seeing the originals of course.

I stopped listening to Thrash after Reign In Blood (ok not literally) because to me the genre had peaked with the album 😎

And here's something new that shows his versatility

Browsing YouTube for some good ol' vids and came across this gem. The man is a force of nature!

Back