Dave King's Rational Funk ~ thoughts? opinions? comments?

aydee

Platinum Member

Aloha, maties!

I'm laughing my head off and am in love with Dave King's ( Drummer The Bad Plus ) world view. His abstract and yet deeply personal take on drumming & music is expressed in a series of zany, funny, articulate, and refreshingly honest videos in a series called RATIONAL FUNK ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bbMmLXhQtITdRiqRvy-yQ )

Was wondering how many of you have seen these videos and what y'all thought?

spleeeeen

Platinum Member

Aloha, maties!

I'm laughing my head off and am in love with Dave King's ( Drummer The Bad Plus ) world view. His abstract and yet deeply personal take on drumming & music is expressed in a series of zany, funny, articulate, and refreshingly honest videos in a series called RATIONAL FUNK ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bbMmLXhQtITdRiqRvy-yQ )

Was wondering how many of you have seen these videos and what y'all thought?

Abe, great to see you! Hope you are doing well!

I hadn't seen these before but I've long been a fan of Dave's playing. The cat is freaking hilarious! Love the videos!

Jason

Boomka

Platinum Member
I don't know why anyone would bother. When I have time to sit down and watch a Youtube video, I want to get some information about actual techniques I can use not some arty farty guy wasting my time trying to be hip and clever saying a bunch of cryptic stuff. And he could at least have the decency to take his sunglasses off when he makes a video for people. It's just so arrogant. I suspect he does that to distract us from the fact that technique isn't anything to write home about. I mean, does he even show himself playing something as basic as a single stroke roll?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I don't know why anyone would bother. When I have time to sit down and watch a Youtube video, I want to get some information about actual techniques I can use not some arty farty guy wasting my time trying to be hip and clever saying a bunch of cryptic stuff. And he could at least have the decency to take his sunglasses off when he makes a video for people. It's just so arrogant. I suspect he does that to distract us from the fact that technique isn't anything to write home about. I mean, does he even show himself playing something as basic as a single stroke roll?
I'm with Todd, not enough real content for me. I don't need to be entertained, I want the facts.

Boomka

Platinum Member
Hmm...I'm either about to pull the hood off a good joke or clear up a misunderstanding.

I was being facetious, Larry. I thought it suited the subject.

Last edited:

aydee

Platinum Member
LOL, this guy is so damn tongue in cheek... Saw the band in DC last month for the first time.. Trust me, this guy can play his ass off. ( or anyone else's for that matter- if you're into the drumming-as-competitive-sport number )

He doesn't but he could, if you know what I mean.. He is so way ahead of the game. Whether you like this music or not, you have to admire what they are reaching for..

Surprised that Uncle Larry didn't like the vids - He has a pretty evolved sense of humor.

PS- Heyo Jason! All good my friend.. been busy lately so more of a lurker now.. Hope all good with you.

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
I hadn't seen these before and I have to say, so far, I'm not impressed. He's a really good player and seems very knowledgeable, but I don't like the delivery. It seems like he's trying to be the irreverent artist but instead of being hip and funny, he comes across to me like a frat boy or jock. I love creative use of profanity, but he seems to be cussing and yelling for shock value, and it doesn't work for me. I'll admit there are a few clever parts with the subtitles, but not enough good to overcome the weak for me.

As for the content, maybe I need to see more before I pass judgment, but I can't think of a less-useful technique than practicing one-handed nine-stroke rolls. I'm sure it's not fair to pass judgment after seeing only a couple, but that's the problem; nothing I've seen makes me want to spend any more time watching these.

He just seems to be trying too hard to be funny and it falls flat with me.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just calling it how he sees it,
8Mile

aydee

Platinum Member
Thats a very poker-faced delivery, right here! : )

KaiBittner

Dave King is absolutely brilliant. He's obviously a very talented artist and good guy. Rational Funk plays off of this in such a satirical way that is truly a fresh breath into the community.

8Mile

Platinum Member
What a difference a few years makes!

I've been watching this series lately and it's maybe the funniest drum-related thing I've ever seen. I can't believe how completely I missed the boat three years ago with my comments. It is so obvious the satire and absurdity of these and I didn't get that at all before. I get the sense Dave is just improvising this stuff and you can tell he is cracking himself up with the stuff he does. The thing in episode 6 with the "military drumming" is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Calling myself out here for being so off-the-mark before. I must not have had any coffee or something that day.