Dave Brubeck - Take Five / Drum solo transcription

newoldie

Silver Member
One of my favorite drummer's (Joe Morello) solo on a favorite song (Take 5), transcribed (and shown visually on sheet music) while being played by an excellent drummer on a jazz drum set.
It's easier for me to soak in drumming transcriptions while reading the music in addition to watching the playing of the solo- almost feels like cheating!

[He's also done other famous drummer solo transcriptions/tutorials which look equally well done, watching them now].

single-ply

Very cool! That solo I think is longer than the one that was released as a single, correct? I think I'm familiar with the shorter version.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Love this song!
I was in a jazz quartet for about a year & I grew exponentially as a drummer during that time. This song is one that will test your 4-way independence and I sure had a great time learning it.

MrPockets

Gold Member
Very cool! That solo I think is longer than the one that was released as a single, correct? I think I'm familiar with the shorter version.

Joe had different solos he would do for live performances. Sometimes even hitting the drums and cymbals with his hands.

ocgvictoria

Joe had different solos he would do for live performances. Sometimes even hitting the drums and cymbals with his hands.
Exactly. There are several Take 5 solos from Joe on You Tube that are very different. All are very musical solos and worth learning.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
It seems he played it differently many times. I've heard many versions on different albums.

The transcription is harder (for me) to follow than just listening and then imitating lol.