Darker Theme Possibility?

Would you like to see a Dark Theme Option?

• Total voters

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
That would be a lot of ink and somehow printing everything BUT the letters on the page using a printing press, or printing solid black pages and then somehow printing white lettering on top of it. I'm pretty sure that's why it's not done.

I use a dark theme on my Gmail and Facebook apps on my phone, and I prefer it; easy on the eyes and battery.
in dark mode, your pupil needs to expand to let in more light. When you see light text on a dark screen, the edges of it seem to bleed into the black background. This is called the halation effect (via Make Tech Easier) and it reduces ease of reading.

Remember, the eye is made up of muscles. The more strain you put on it trying to read something, the more it’ll get worn out. If you are not comfortable reading light text on a dark background, don’t force it.

timmdrum

Silver Member
in dark mode, your pupil needs to expand to let in more light. When you see light text on a dark screen, the edges of it seem to bleed into the black background. This is called the halation effect (via Make Tech Easier) and it reduces ease of reading.

Remember, the eye is made up of muscles. The more strain you put on it trying to read something, the more it’ll get worn out. If you are not comfortable reading light text on a dark background, don’t force it.
In dark mode, my pupil only needs to expand enough to let in the light of the light-colored letters. I don't see any bleeding on any device I view in this mode- including websites with this design- so it doesn't reduce my ease of reading, and it doesn't wear out my eye muscles. Therefore, I'm very comfortable reading light text on a dark background. ?‍♂️ Thanks for lookin' out, though. (y)

Last edited:

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
After I did some updates to the server I installed and modded DW's first dark theme which is more or less a replication of the light theme without any further additions or changes design-wise. More to come.

Black....oyster....Pearl

Challenge accepted ;)

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
So ugly oyster - hurts my eyes after 5 seconds...

Let's wait for Push pull stroke sprinkling spots of his breakfast onto his monitor.

Blk Diamond

Thank you Bernhard and Supergrobi, for the time and effort that you both spent in giving us a choice between light and dark themes for the Drummerworld forum.

The design for the Drummerworld Dark theme looks fantastic. :)

cbphoto

Gold Member
Lookin’ good!

1EA8B17D-9C38-4414-AFDD-4223A317C174.jpeg

timmdrum

Silver Member
I agree, it looks great, and much easier on my eyes. That said, this might be a glitch of some sort... I don't know why @C.M. Jones text was black in his post and the subsequent reply box, and I think I saw it once before but don't remember whose post it was. Might be worth investigating by the powers that be.

1617175876593.png

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Seems somewhat intentional, there's BBCode around the paragraph inside his post. Could be a copy and paste thing, could be an irreversible click in the editor while posting. (This is why I don't like these text editors too much - they do stuff not obvious to the user in the first place.)

cbphoto

Gold Member
Seems somewhat intentional, there's BBCode around the paragraph inside his post. Could be a copy and paste thing, could be an irreversible click in the editor while posting. (This is why I don't like these text editors too much - they do stuff not obvious to the user in the first place.)
sometimes/frequently when @C.M. Jones quotes someone, he reformats the text (black, serif font, sometimes bold). It must be a Pearl thing.

C.M. Jones

sometimes/frequently when @C.M. Jones quotes someone, he reformats the text (black, serif font, sometimes bold). It must be a Pearl thing.

I like the option of chalking all curious tendencies up to the influence of Pearl. From now on, whenever my motives are questioned, I'll calmly reply, "It's a Pearl thing." Paradoxically, I'll always use bold text. Head-scratching will prevail.

C.M. Jones

In the example @timmdrum posted above, I'm not sure what happened with the formatting. I didn't use bold text, nor did I copy and paste material. It must be a Pearl thing. Some mysteries should just be accepted.