Dark Ride Cymbals That Still Cut

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey guys, just looking around and trying some cymbals, and I'm wondering what experience some of you guys have with K's and K Customs and cymbals of the like that are of Heavy or Medium Heavy weight. How do these cymbals cut through in a band context? I can try cymbal after cymbal in a store, but I've so far had two cymbals that sound very heavy and bright and they still have difficulty cutting through the guitars. Especially live, unmic'd. They're a little more audible in rehearsal, but that doesn't matter because it's just us. No one can hear my ride cymbal live.

That being said, one of the cymbals I had an issue with was a 21" UFIP crash. I understood after playing it for a few weeks that crashes are much thinner and your stick will sink into it more and won't be as pingy. Another one that I have currently is an old A Custom 20" Ride that is thin on the edges. The bell and the bow of the cymbal still don't cut through much.

I don't want to have to go with something of the sound and feel of a modern A Custom because I've never liked them in any context. So I'm wondering what experience you guys may have with something like a K Custom Dry Ride or a K Custom Heavy or K Medium Heavy ride. Too dark to cut through? Heavy but not bright enough?

I'm just wondering how the sound qualities of the cymbals work in a band situation, as I haven't had much luck with ride cymbals yet.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Agd8

I have a Zildjian 22" K custom ride that I really like. It's of medium-heavy weight, incredibly versatile, has a nice ping to it (but in a very pleasant way), great bell, it really is an amazing ride cymbal.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Don't know if you're into Paiste, but I have a 22" Medium Light Traditional ride that has a great wash, nice bell, and enough meat to deliver on the ping. However, it does have a decidedly vintage vibe, which may not be your thing.

Also, I've played a 20 K Medium Ride that was very nice in all of those ways, so I imagine that The Edge's 22" K Medium is a wonderful cymbal! Definitely not "vintage-ey" compared to the Paiste Traditional, IMO.

Ya know, cymbal websites have come a long way in recent years, and the cymbal companies are very consistent nowadays as well. Go listen to some samples with some decent headphones or studio monitors.

jofizzm

Meinl mb8 ghost ride. I think it sounds awsome imho
It DOES sound awesome. I'mma put it back on my kit, and stash the 24" byzance for backup.

Anyway, no experience with Ks, but try playing your current ride with the tip of your stick, right where the bell meets the bow. You get the cut of the bell, without the super heavy attack from using the side of the stick on it, and you get a lil wash. A sweet spot for me.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I play my 22 K Custom High Definition Ride on my regular Friday night gig. It's got that dark and smoky tone, it's fairly dry but not dead at all. Very highly defined stick sound (hence its name) and a beautiful bell. It doesn't have a very versatile crash sound but that's why it has very controlled overtones. Wide spiral lathing and a raw bell.

I've only run into my ride sound getting lost in the mix with this ride on a few occasions.

You might get lucky finding one of these to try out at GC or Sam Ash. I've been surprised to see several different stores each carry one of these in stock.

The only other DW member I've ever read having one is Wy Yung. It doesn't seem to be very popular.

Zildjian redesigned this cymbal a few years ago and the current version is thinner than the original. I didn't like the redesign. The wanted to make it more crashable but I think they took away from its high definition qualities. You might be able to find an older one for less $

Cameo

Gold Member
Does the Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Ride fit your description? If not, have a look at the Dark or Sand Rides.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
The original K custom from the 80's and early 90's (before they called them ride or crash) is a good one. Mine has the K darkness, but a real clear ping as it's unlathed, and it cuts through the guitars in my rock band. Recommended! er,by me anyway.

Since they don't make it any more I had to get mine on eBay.

alparrott

Platinum Member
The original K custom from the 80's and early 90's (before they called them ride or crash) is a good one. Mine has the K darkness, but a real clear ping as it's unlathed, and it cuts through the guitars in my rock band. Recommended! er,by me anyway.

Since they don't make it any more I had to get mine on eBay.
^This. I haven't really thought seriously about buying another ride since buying this one, 21 years ago.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Ufip natural series rides are very dark and quite pingy, also have a great bell. Horrible to crash but you can't have the best of both worlds.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Another factor to consider is your stick tip shape. You can get an entirely different ping quality from your ride cymbal by switching stick tips. I think each cymbal considered should be played with 3 or 4 of your favorite stick tip shapes, because it will yield 3 or 4 different ping qualities. The difference is quite noticeable. I recently went from an acorn tip to the round tip because a certain ride cymbal that has become my favorite...it just sounds way more awesome with a round tip.

I don't know that you can get a dark ride that cuts. That's like saying I want a small crash that sounds like a big crash. Cut implies a strong ping with higher overtones. Darker cymbals just don't have those qualities do they? That's why they're dark?

TTNW

Pioneer Member
I don't know that you can get a dark ride that cuts. That's like saying I want a small crash that sounds like a big crash. Cut implies a strong ping with higher overtones. Darker cymbals just don't have those qualities do they? That's why they're dark?
This is a good point. I do think that brighter cymbals offer more of the "cut" qualities that everyone refers to. A darker stick tone is usually a compromise to the bright ping cut that is desirable in being heard in the mix. My A Zildjian Ping and Medium Rides always seem a bit too bright and almost annoying from behind the kit, but out front and especially when the volume goes up and with ambient crowd noise, they sound great.

I think it can sound really good to use darker cymbals but they definitely don't always work for every musical situation.

drummerman42

Dark rides in my opinion are the best sounding. Very full and just plain dark. Almost sounding evil. My dream ride is the Paiste Twenty Masters Collection Dark Ride 20". Until I can afford one, the way I can duplicate that sound on my old 502 ride, is on the underside I have a strip of tape to deaden the sound. It works for now, like I said until I can afford my dream ride!!!

BillBachman

Gold Member
The Zildjian 22" K dark ride always makes it through. It's got dirty jazzy characteristics, yet has the projection. I also love my 20" K heavy ride, it cuts like a champ without sounding like a high pitched tingy anvil.