Dark but not trashy?

I recently purchased a used Sabian Vanguard 20" Ride. Dark but good articulation, a thin and relatively light cymbal perfect for small groups.
I suppose the list of dark but not trashy cymbals could be quite extensive (and subjective).

Last edited:
model Thin Ride Traditionals, Turks, Antiques
(handmade bosphorus) 19s, 20s, 22s. hats dark Trad 14s
very direct to the (dark handmade) point; not a lot of wide-side trash-tone-at all
that would moreso be the syncopation series or a Trad swish
`````````````````````````````````````

Last edited:
I recently purchased a used Sabian Vanguard 20" Ride. Dark but good articulation, a thin and relatively light cymbal perfect for small groups.
Love the HH Vanguard's. And a perfect example of a "dark" cymbal that's not "trashy".
I suppose the list of dark but not trashy cymbals could is quite extensive (and subjective).
Yes it would. Along the Sabian line, I would consider pretty much all the HH/HHX to be dark ..... and the AA/AAX to be bright. I have HHX X-Plosion crashes (14, 16, 18) that I love. Nice and dark (without being trashy) ..... and I have HHX X-Treme crashes (14, 16, 18) that get even a little darker.

Here's an HHX X-treme demo.....

Though I’ve never played the Vans, I have AAXplosions and HHXtreme cymbals, though they are thin pies, my 20” AAXplosion is at 1917 grams, the HHX are considerably more dark.

On that note I’d look at their HHX Complex line, I have a 23” Complex Medium ride that has a dark and woody sound.

I was able to try a 22” HHX Comp thin crash and loved it, that will be my next purchase cymbal wise.

Cymbal & Gong certainly :-D It's generally a smoky, moderately dark sound. Wild harmonic elements can vary, but very few of them ever make it to the point of being trashy. Even their Chinese type cymbals get the legit sound, without the pure trash element you get in a Wuhan.

I feel like I notice trashiness the most in Chinese and some Turkish made cymbals, and all of the modern things with the major holes drilled in them. A lot of thin Agops get trashy. I think I rarely hear it in regular cymbals by the major brands.

I had a Meinl 20" Medium Dark Ride. Sounded pretty good

Maybe the Meinl 22" Vintage Pure Ride.

My Istanbul 22" Medium Sig Ride.

Maybe the Istanbul 22" Traditional Dark Ride.

Any ride with the word dark in its labeling.

I love how the Paiste Masters 24” Thin Ride sounds dark, but it isn’t trashy. You should check that one out.
Totally agree with the Paistes Masters line. I have a complete set and they are exactly what you are describing. Dark and warm, but without the trashiness.

I agree Zildjian K and K Custom, plus also worth considering are Stagg DH Evo, which are pretty dark sounding and sound more expensive than they are.

Seems Trashy are in da Minority..
eh no. Syncopation

that would be all of my 40's and 50's Zildjians

and my 1995 K Dark Medium Thin crash

Old Ks are tame until "activated"

OldKs 019.jpgOldKs 021.jpg

Mine/own/ possessed/ here / captured/
lawn walk.

Last edited:
Back