Dark 18 Crash

Rolltide

I have been away from drums for a good while but have played zildjian k/KCustom for 20 years. I want to start back with a different left side crash . This crash , for me, is dark with low tones , fits into the music and a short decay . I do not like clangy or trashy sound for the pie . I am looking for suggestions one make and series if possible . Thanks

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I have a couple of 17s for sale that fill that bill-- check out the first two at the top of the page. It's a clean dark sound-- no overly trashy, exotic, metallic elements. They're Cymbal & Gong, Holy Grail series. Hand made in Turkey, modeled after the Istanbul K Zildjians.

Rolltide

I have played Z k’s since 1972, I am very familiar with them - what about Meinl, Sabian, Istanbul ..... ?

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Check out the Meinl 18" or 20" Byzance Traditional Extra Thin Hammered crash. Although it is a bit trashy, it is less so than many other of the Byzance series. Maybe also give the Byzance Jazz crashes a go!
Jost Nickel uses the 18" Extra Thin Hammered as his left crash, Matt Garstka uses both the 18" Extra Thin and an 18" Jazz next to each other.
There are three options on the Jazz crashes (medium thin, thin and extra thin).

Mr Farkle

I was going to suggest an Agop Traditional Dark 18” crash but depending on your tastes Todd’s Cymbal & Gong crashes might be even better. The ones I played in store a while back were just like he described in terms of being a little cleaner, less metallic than the Agop. My 20” Custom K Dark ride would probably pair up better with those than it would with the Agop (which I own).

Rolltide

Great info guys , thank you very much . The K’s are iconic , but the market has exploded it seems with options - No mention of anything from Sabian?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
So, in your opinion , Zildjian k’s are my only choice ...?
Oh, no! Definitely not. For example, I've recently added a couple of Zildjian K Dark Thin/Medium-thin crashes to my kit and it was love at first strike. My long-range goal is to replace all of my A crashes with late-model K Dark crashes - those that are part of the big Zildjian redesign of a a few years ago.

But the video above of Nick D'virgilio simply tells the tale of just how good the K Sweet cymbals are. These are as close as you can get to a no-risk purchase.

Sabian: I'm a big fan, and I've auditioned every Sabian that comes thru the doors of our GC. They are making giant leaps in improving their cymbal lines, and I've been impressed enough that my two ride cymbals are both Sabian HH. I love 'em. But so far, as good as the new releases are, I haven't heard any that would make me choose their crashes over the current Zildjian K offerings. So far.

GeeDeeEmm

C.M. Jones

As a long-time Zildjian devotee, I would have to agree that something from the K series is the way to go. I don't use Ks now, but I've had a few over the years, and they're definitely Zildjian's darkest offering.

The problem with Ks is the same as the problem with all cast cymbals. No two sound alike, so one K Dark Thin Crash might sound quite different from another K Dark Thin Crash. With sheet cymbals, on the contrary, you're all but guaranteed a consistent sound across a given series. I now play Zildjian's S Family (made from sheet) exclusively and am quite pleased with their quality control and predictability. Some ill-informed critics will claim that sheet cymbals are inferior to traditionally cast ones, but that's pure nonsense. Sheet cymbals are a bit less expensive only because creating them is less labor intensive. They aren't substandard from a materials standpoint.

Note: If you want something dark, the S Family isn't the way to go. It's closer in character to the A Custom than it is to the K. I prefer a brighter, more focused and articulate sound than the K generally produces.