Danny Carey teaser on Sonor's site?!

jasonmwnf

Anyone have any info/speculation on what this could be?? signature snare? signature kit??

http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/sonor/english/kategorie.html?a-quicklink-n_katid=1

For those who do not want to click through the link.. its a picture on sonors site of danny carey (TOOL) dressed in some sort of mystical robe, sitting behind some sort of glowing drum.

p.s. If it IS a signature snare.. im gonna snap, because A. dannys snare sound is my favorite, and B. I just bought a black panther aztec snare with my last spare change :p

there wander pics online already

DannyCareySigSnare.jpg

14” X 8”
1 mm Bronze Shell
Artist Series Snare Drum Style Lugs w/ tunesafes
2.3 mm Power Hoops
Chrome Finish
Laser Engraved Talisman Symbols
Laser Engraved Signature
Artist series throw and strainer
MSRP $1079.99

DannyCareySigSnare.jpg

14” X 8”
1 mm Bronze Shell
2.3 mm Power Hoops
Chrome Finish
Laser Engraved Signature
MSRP $1079.99

WOW!!!!!!
That thing looks amazing!

hmmm...

the badge says "signature", and it seems to me a bit odd to just have an odd drum that doesn't fit in any of the current series....

I'm really interested now :D
£10 says there'll be an entire new line of signature drums by the end of 09

DannyCareySigSnare.jpg

14” X 8”
1 mm Bronze Shell
2.3 mm Power Hoops
Chrome Finish
Laser Engraved Signature
MSRP $1079.99

*faints*

It is a signature snare for sure. It is supposed to be priced so that it will be affordable. They are taking an idea from some of the Pearl signature snare drums that do this too.

Wait until the Winter NAMM show opens on the 15th and more information becomes available then. I'll post more information as I find it.

Those of you in the United States that would like a copy of the 2009 Sonor catalog. Go to:

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1479

Send a request to the Sonor rep's e-mail address posted there. They should have it posted there within a few months too.

Last edited:
That is a very nice drum for sure and will definitely sound killer but I would have expected more. At least for the danny carey sig snare. The triangle engraving things are nice but flanged hoops?Plain old sonor lugs? I don't know, I just expected something more imposing looking. Nonetheless looks good.

DannyCareySigSnare.jpg

14” X 8”
1 mm Bronze Shell
2.3 mm Power Hoops
Chrome Finish
Laser Engraved Signature
MSRP $1079.99

beautiful

hey paQ, where you got the spec about the snare?

It leaked, and was posted on sonormuseum, but was banned immediately.

My opnion: when it is accessable and online, it will be found.
If you (Sonor) don't want it to be found, then don't supply hi-res pics.

That is a very nice drum for sure and will definitely sound killer but I would have expected more. At least for the danny carey sig snare. The triangle engraving things are nice but flanged hoops?Plain old sonor lugs? I don't know, I just expected something more imposing looking. Nonetheless looks good.

Who cares what it looks like you cant see the thing behind danny's huge kit anyways. If you heard danny play his drums live on 46 and 2 over a huge arena sound system pumping out thousands of watts you would want that snare sound too. If DC playing any part in the manufacturing process i'm sure it will be a cream dream.

OMG. One thing is for certain, buying this drum will definitely make you a better drummer. It's like that time I bought a bottle of Heineken and immediately noticed my social status shooting through the roof.

Many also experience this phenomenon when purchasing big pickup trucks and sports cars too.

Like I said in my post above: The price point of this snare drum is to help grow the ranks of drummers using Sonor.

Yes, they could have made it a lot more expensive — but that would have limited who would be able to buy it.

I think that I would rather have the snare that he actually uses:
An Ocheltree Bronze.

I am pretty sure he only uses the Ocheltree when he has his full ocheltree kit. i have researched this extensivley and he uses the sonor signature 14x8 bronze that they stoped making in the 80's. The signature drum is cast bronze and 3mm thick and frickin heavy! So i am wondering why he would put out a signature drum the is not anything like what he acctually uses? Why the compromise? I know it has been said that they are price pointing this down as per the pearl drums but we are talking about Danny Carey here who never compromises on anything... eg - Ocheltree kit, his latest sonor with the varied shell thickness, filling the room with helum when recording to get a better cymbal sound, shipping that kit world wide and not using kits of the same specs when he gets into whatever country he is going to ... the list could go on..

So what i am hoping here is we see some of those old 80's snares pop up from people on ebay or something from people that want the carey signature and i can snap one of those up because i have been looking for a long time and cant find one anywhere!

Having said all that can someone tell me if the shell on this new drum is rolled or cast?

DannyCareySigSnare.jpg

14” X 8”
1 mm Bronze Shell
2.3 mm Power Hoops
Chrome Finish
Laser Engraved Signature
MSRP $1079.99

Hope Sonor can make a lower snare stand for this 14X8 size, once it will be impossible to have it on top of the current one.

Looks alright, very personal with all the logos , etc... regarding features, Vinnie Paul has a wood one with Flanged hoops too, and he hits heavier than 90% around. If you like get it, if don't thousand others are available for your choice, once Danny had his. also there's no way to add extra rubber gask around the lugs into a metal snare.

WOW!!!!!!
That thing looks amazing!

hmmm...

the badge says "signature", and it seems to me a bit odd to just have an odd drum that doesn't fit in any of the current series....

I'm really interested now :D
£10 says there'll be an entire new line of signature drums by the end of 09

If it's new, shold not fit in any drum series anyway. but I just think Sonor should find another way to label this personal drums, once Signature series is something that Sonor already released more than 20 years ago with the Ebony Bubinga veneer finish 'Link Era'. Same as Paiste did with the Dimension series, using Signature logo back in the days and didn t work ..

Back