Dairy / pic from builder of my new drum set

GrooveSuperfly

Diary / pic from builder of my new drum set

I have couple of months ago ordered a drum set from Antonio Drums.
Antonio Drums have specializing on "true solid shel" including Steam Bend and drums curved out from the trunk of tree.

I have at the beginning of 2012 ordered a set in "fusion" sizes, True solid shel Elmwood, hollow log set, from AntonioDrums.

Today I got some pictures from the workshop. I do not know which drum he is currently working on.

Set%2520bild%25201.jpg

and

set%2520bild%25202.jpg

However, I recently got my new snare from him (also Elmwood, hollow log), and I'm SURE, after I play on that snare , the drums will sound great.

I'll post all the pictures I get from him here-it might be fun to follow the process.

Here is picture when he build my snare;

Min%25202.jpg

Antonio%2520snare%25202_2.jpg

And when I receive it:

Antonio%25206.jpg

Antonio%25209.jpg

Last edited:
That is absolutely beautiful. I'm a little suprised to see those big lugs covering up that amazing finish, though. Still I'm very envious. On a side note, what kind of strainer is that?

I chose those lugs, and now I am little bit sorry of that, and regret it. I should chose differnet. But still - the sound is killer!!!!

Drums he built for me now, on those two picuters above, will instead have Antonios custom built tubelugs.
Here is picture of "prototype" I got few month ago from him:

Antonio%2520lugs.jpg

I sew another snare that a member of one Swedish forum order recently from Antonio ( Steam Bend), and he put those "new" tubelugs on it.
They are far better looking than mine.
But those on this other snare has some "black" on it - I am not shure if I want that black on my tubelugs he gonna monut on my set?

walnut%2520snare%2520003.jpg

What should you guys do?
Chose his tubelugs without or with that black?

Strainer is his own design as well. He sputters out them on the CNC machine. It is very good and has 3 possision - Losse( free - no contact on heads) , medium and hard. Everything is operated with one click. And you can rotter on a "button" and set the elasticity of stainer, of course.
At the beggining I didnt know at all how to use it, and I could not at all find reason to use it. I thaought it was a pretty useles function.
But now, I switch it very often between songs - often to "medium" possision for great responisbility and more "wood sound" and "hard" possion when I want more "tight" and "crack" from snare.

Here you can see how its work, first pic no contact att all between stainer and head, second "medium/loose" and thirtd- "Hard" ( more as "normal" )

3%2520l%25C3%25A4ge.jpg

and here is a video clipp of his stainer from musikfair Frankfurt 2012, on Youtube, where they show his stainer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PkXg0TT7zY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOkzOwwufP4

Last edited:
I havent seen any dairy content, which is a pitty as I love cheese.

However, the drums look fab. What are the fusion sizes?

Davo

Davo

I was counting on a milkshake pic too...but yes nice drums! :)

The tube lug design preference would be a personal choice. I'll bet these aren't the cheapest drums to buy so I'd say get any design that makes you happy.

FWIW: I don't care for any black or powder coating on my hardware. Traditional chrome, brass, brushed steel, aluminum and even gold plated is OK for me.

That strainer is pretty cool. Looks like a combination of a Trick and a Dunnett kind of. Never seen one like that before.

Re: DIAry / pic from builder of my new drum set

That strainer is pretty cool. Looks like a combination of a Trick and a Dunnett kind of. Never seen one like that before.

Anton is realy inovator, He dont just work with woods, he made some of his own hardware too ( before he use to put other hardware parts since it was easier )

He is the man who invented cable remote HiHat, but patent was bought from DW. He even have more ideas that been used and bought from other "big " drumbuilders.

His wood snare with a inner layer of bronze or copper attached on reiforcement rings is something I would like to try.

double.jpg

...... What are the fusion sizes?

Davo

kick
20x16

toms
8x7
10x7,5
12x8
14x11,5

Snare , that is acctualy not belong to set , but same "concept" ( wood, shel construction and finish) accept that set will have tubelugs, is 14x6,5.

personally i dont dig these lugs... mine has raw brass lugs... now i am in active searching for the raw brass hoops :)

Last edited:
And FINALY the old elmwood is dry enought so Anton can continue work with my drums..,

I got those pictures today, and thats my floortom he is working on.

Fotografija0422.jpg

and

Fotografija0423.jpg

It makes me so happy to be able to see ( pictures he send me) how work is developing. But its hard to understaind how it feels to wait over 6 month for a drumset, that you know someone is working on, just for you.

Davo
+1 Oh yeah, I'm disappointed, too! No cheese/milk, haha.
But as PFOG has assured me recently, it's a drum forum so the spelling of non-drum related stuff doesn't matter ;-)

+1 on the drums, too. Very nice cosmetics!

Blessed be the cheesemakers?!

Oh it's not meant to be taken literally, I believe he's referring to all makers of dairy products.

Back to the thread - they look like great drums. It's a shame Elm is more-or-less endangered here, it's a lovely source material to use I would imagine.

Now I have changed title.
So you can stop talk about cheese, milk and other dairy products! :)

I would like to see you how you write in Italian, French, or maybe, Swedish?

You should hear how I speak English !!! hahahaha

Hej hej!
Didn't notice you're from Sweden... (I've been there a couple times... nice country! And congrats to winning the European Song Contest!!)

That's a good point you have - well THEN your English is superb and I will shut up forever ;-)

We're only ribbing because of the very high standards that Scandanavian English-speakers tend to hold. I'm regularly astonished at the high level of English that comes from that region and would quite honestly say that it's higher than many of the native speakers that I have met and indeed taught!

Your English is probably A LOT better than my German....

There are people in America who can't speak English. Most Europeans (from non English speaking EU countries) speak very good English from my experience.

Hahaha. If someone wrote "dairy" diary, ( on swedish) I would also find it funny. Never mind . ;-)

Anyway, I look forward to get more photos from Antonio when he build my drums.
I ordered these in January.
But he told me if I should have drums from a block of wood, it would take time.

But it will be worth every second, I realy do not regret snare I get from him ( but I should order other luggs than those "slingerland" style ),
I have talk with an owner of a similar set he( Antonio) has built.
The closest he can sonically compare Antonios drums with, was his Craviotto (he has now sold) and instead ordered one more set from him (though Steam bent this time.).

I think , after thinking, I prefer the those goldplated lugs ( as snare on one picture here) with the black on, on drums.

Got new pictures from mr. Antonio.
My 10 and 12 " toms sims finaly to be dry.

Yesterday we disccus what kind of lugs I want , so I guess next will be drilling for lugs before lacquering them and cutting bearing edges.

10%2520and%252012%2520toms.jpg

Back