Dafnis Prieto

HSTDrums

Dafnis Prieto blows my mind. I've seen this guy numerous times and he absolutely rips. I've mostly seen him in Michel Camilo's trio but I just recently saw him with his own sextet in support of his new album. His writing is absolutely crazy and the instrumentation of his bands is very unique. Everyone should check this guy out.

with his sextet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izLv5JnCfss

with Michel Camilo Trio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WlVakfjSR8&feature=related

I'll leave you with a quote from Dafnis' vic firth artist spotlight.

"This is Dafnis Prieto, I am gonna’ tell you something. Sticks are to make music. You have to make music on the drums, ok. That’s what we’re here for. Make it groovy, make it swingy, and music; it’s all about the music."

Re: DAFNIS PRIETO!

I watched that Vic Firth interview after reading his interview in MD... I like his playing a lot. I like what he has to say about composition. He's really into playing his role, and I think its always good to hear from people who approach the drums this way.

I just read his feature article in MD and then checked out a few videos of him. This guy is very impressive!

I just read his feature article in MD and then checked out a few videos of him. This guy is very impressive!

Ditto......... the MD interview was interesting, and he seems to have a really interesting way of looking at his playing. Quite a chop monster, too ,though I didn't find him terribly original..maybe its because I was watching some of his practice vids.

I suppose.. Michel Camillo's gig must be awesome though..

EDIT - ok, i've got this all wrong.. I'm thinking Dietch and am writing about Prieto............ apologies to Dafnis and to HST drums

Last edited:
I picked up an album of his sextet after reading the MD feature, but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. He's quite the player, though. Some really great ideas in the music, and chops for days.

I like his mounted frying pan.

I like his mounted frying pan.

LOL. It is a nice addition to any kit. I wonder if I could find a way to rig a hot plate under a frying pan on my kit... it would serve two purposes.

I started listening to the CD I picked up, Absolute Quintet. Definitely some unique instrumentation, I think I like it so far.

That is an awesome solo.... I really like his playing. It should also be noted for those of us that have been on some of the other threads that he obviously doesn't change his heads every month or whatever... I get a kick out of the size of the wear spots on his toms. He's got some serious accuracy.

Last edited:
playing at break neck speed as he often does....how the hell is he that accurate? Really, its insane, especially in free flowing music like that, off hits are to be expected when your bringing so much feeling! But exactly right, like a bullet hole!

Back