Cymbal Topper T-Top - Gauging Interest for Manufacturing

Ive heard a lot about these type of toppers over the years, but have never used them. I would buy a set to see how they work with my studio pies and if favorable to them, would buy a set for the road pies/stands. Im in the metric crowd.

F

Yeah I'd buy these for sure. I have had an ongoing battle with wingnuts and felts getting lost, and like the streamlined look of not having anything above the bell. I feel a bit sketchy without the security of a wing nut on there, although I've never had an issue with a cymbal flying off. These seem like a good option.

Put me down as interested if you go into production.

Most of us spend our nights on local stages setting & tearing down our own kits, and most of us has mis-handled a cymbal wing nut which slid down the cymbal and onto the floor, which probably hasn't been cleaned since it was new. With these Camber cymbal toppers this will NEVER happen, and instead of screwing a nut on and off, you just tilt the cymbal and lift. I have NEVER had a cymbal jump off the stand, and I've been using these since they first came out in the 1970s. No more crawling around looking for a wing nut. These are a real practical way of making the "work" part of a gig quicker and easier.

Well?..read all the replies. I'm a gadget faureek!. To my mind it's like having rims mounts for your cymbals and any little bit of ingenuity that leads me in a positive direction audibly goes home with me. SO...the answer is affirmative...yes...absolutely...I'll fork out the bucks.

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't logged-in since July. I assume if the project had moved forward, we'd know by now.

If OP isn't moving forward with this after all, then I don't feel bad suggesting the first thing that came to my mind: this seems like something which could be done fairly easily and perhaps affordable with 3D printing. (Full disclosure: I don't know a lot about the process or cost.)

this seems like something which could be done fairly easily and perhaps affordable with 3D printing.

Probably, if made upside-down so the threaded hole could be built up in layers. You can probably get gray plastic for a decent match to the chrome stand, but is it as resilient as the metal version? My metal ones don't get babied on tour, and surprisingly I've had no breakage. I would be hesitant to swap them for plastic.

There are a couple sellers on ebay selling NOS 6mm t-tops. I ordered a set myself. After the holidays, I am going to see about 3D printing 6mm and 8mm versions w/ the help of an industrial engineer friend.

I may turn a few of these out of 12L14 on my lathe when I get some spare time just for the hell of it.

Probably, if made upside-down so the threaded hole could be built up in layers. You can probably get gray plastic for a decent match to the chrome stand, but is it as resilient as the metal version? My metal ones don't get babied on tour, and surprisingly I've had no breakage. I would be hesitant to swap them for plastic.
I guess I was thinking that if the metal ones haven't been made in years, and the plastic ones are affordable, you don't need to swap them out, you just now have replacements. And depending upon price point, while you wouldn't be looking to destroy them, by any mean, they might fall more into the category of hey, if it happens, it happens. (My favorite category.)

Just letting you know that we are still here, AND have been working hard on new T-Tops. As you can imagine, like the rest of the world we got set back a bit, but are back on track. We recently 3D-printed some prototypes, and will begin testing them soon. This will tell us if a plastic version is viable.

We're thinking of bashing the cymbals to the point of breaking them, to see which fails first, the cymbal or the plastic t-top. Since cymbals actually PIVOT instead of just sit there flat on a tilter, I'm pretty sure that even if the t-tops are plastic they wouldn't be taking the brunt of a good whack, the cymbal would. Personally, I think that if you're really bashing cymbals that hard, nothing will be good enough, and your stand will likely topple over first! ;-) Unless, of course, you have a drum rack like I do, in which case the cymbal would likely break. I either case, anyone want to donate some cymbals for our bash test?

Then there's the issue of transporting stands. As Bermuda pointed out, hardware isn't always babied, especially by roadies, and if you're sponsored it's easy to get replacement hardware before a big show. In any event, it would be nice to test the lackadaiscal tossing of a cymbal stand, or cymbal arm if you have a drum rack, into a hardware bag or box. Again, donations would be welcome here of cymbal stands and cymbal arms. ;-)

We also are already designing a v2 which we believe will offer alternative benefit. Can't disclose much on that one.... yet. Thanks to all of you who've contributed to this topic.

Ah! The good old days!
I remember the Camber T Tops. They were neat.
The cymbals, on the other hand, were shite.

transporting of stands will likely provide more stress and wear on these items than cymbal bashing, as most drummers desire a cymbal to swing freely on the T-top.

transporting of stands will likely provide more stress and wear on these items than cymbal bashing, as most drummers desire a cymbal to swing freely on the T-top.
There's actually NO possible way for a cymbal NOT to swing freely with a T-Top on the tilter. ;-)

Right now the No Nuts cymbal topper is enjoying some popularity. So the T-Top has some competition already. The No Nuts are intriguing but I don’t use them. I’m still a wing nut guy.

Back