Cymbal that sounds like Zildjian K Ride?

RaxCity

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new ride cymbal, but I still haven't found the exact one that I'm looking for. The closest I found was this Zildjian 22" K Ride - http://memphisdrumshop.com/zildjian-22-inch-k-ride-cymbal-c-k0819-1010517rr

The thing is, I don't really want to pay $425 for a cymbal, so I want to know if there are any similar cymbals with a good balance of ping and wash like the k ride, preferably something a bit brighter and cheaper. I was also looking at the Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride, but I would prefer something with a little more stick definition.

Any help is much appreciated.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I'm a fan of the standard A Medium Ride. These appear second hand all the time. Might be a fraction heavy for you, but definitely has a little more definition than the Sweet Ride.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I got a used HH for $80 off ebay, it doesn't look new, but it sounds real nice. I bought my K for 180 used from a local store. Guitar center has used gear on line. You can see all the used cym. from all the stores, right from you computer or phone.

paravil

There's no substitute for what you really want. You can save up and buy the one you want for $425, or buy a poor substitute for less, sell it for a loss, and put that money toward the K. This is what will happen, and you'll end up having spent $500-$600 for it instead of $425.

Also, look for deals. eBay, Reverb, guitar center al have deals on used gear. You just have to be patient.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Good cymbals are expensive-so are good snares but of all the kit these items really deserve the emphasis IMHO. You can get away with an inexpensive shell pack of toms and kick and get good results with good heads, tuning and make it sound pretty good-but cheap snares and cymbals really can stand out in a poor way in a mix-remember you can't make chicken salad from chicken $#!+.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a new ride cymbal, but I still haven't found the exact one that I'm looking for. The closest I found was this Zildjian 22" K Ride - http://memphisdrumshop.com/zildjian-22-inch-k-ride-cymbal-c-k0819-1010517rr

The thing is, I don't really want to pay $425 for a cymbal, so I want to know if there are any similar cymbals with a good balance of ping and wash like the k ride, preferably something a bit brighter and cheaper. I was also looking at the Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride, but I would prefer something with a little more stick definition.

Any help is much appreciated.
Actually the Stagg DH series are a bit less pricey and give the K and Sabian HH a run for their money.
Stagg hired one of the guys from Sabian and they're not the old Chinese knock offs you're used to.

RaxCity

I'm a fan of the standard A Medium Ride. These appear second hand all the time. Might be a fraction heavy for you, but definitely has a little more definition than the Sweet Ride.
Yeah, I was looking on mycymbal.com but I didn't find any A medium rides that I particularly liked the sound of, but I'll keep looking on the website just in case I see something I really like.

A second hand K ride
I got a used HH for $80 off ebay, it doesn't look new, but it sounds real nice. I bought my K for 180 used from a local store. Guitar center has used gear on line. You can see all the used cym. from all the stores, right from you computer or phone.
I'd definitely consider that, but I've heard there is a lot of variation in the sound of K cymbals, so I'd prefer to hear them first.

Are there any sound demos of this? I'd love to hear how it sounds!

Cheers for those links, I'll definitely check those out.

There's no substitute for what you really want. You can save up and buy the one you want for $425, or buy a poor substitute for less, sell it for a loss, and put that money toward the K. This is what will happen, and you'll end up having spent $500-$600 for it instead of $425.

Also, look for deals. eBay, Reverb, guitar center al have deals on used gear. You just have to be patient.
Be patient - or click the links in the post above yours.

But yes, I agree.
Get what you want in the first place, rather than take the roundabout, more expensive road.
I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't say that this cymbal is the perfect one for me, I was just looking for some similar sounds so I can narrow down my options better.

Good cymbals are expensive-so are good snares but of all the kit these items really deserve the emphasis IMHO. You can get away with an inexpensive shell pack of toms and kick and get good results with good heads, tuning and make it sound pretty good-but cheap snares and cymbals really can stand out in a poor way in a mix-remember you can't make chicken salad from chicken $#!+.
Yeah, I'm still looking for top end cymbals, I would just rather pay $310 for an A ride cymbal as opposed to $430 for a K ride, and I also prefer the brighter sound of A's, but not really bright like A Custom rides or 2002s

Actually the Stagg DH series are a bit less pricey and give the K and Sabian HH a run for their money.
Stagg hired one of the guys from Sabian and they're not the old Chinese knock offs you're used to.
I've used a few Stagg cymbals, but I'm not the biggest fan of how they sound - a bit cheap sounding for my tastes. I'd rather get some nice Zildjians, although I looked at a few Istanbul Agops which are also a fair bit cheaper and they sound quite nice as well.

Cheers for all the responses so far!

opentune

Platinum Member
I would just rather pay $310 for an A ride cymbal as opposed to $430 for a K ride, and I also prefer the brighter sound of A's,
Then why is your thread title about searching for a K if you prefer the sound of an A?
I think you have to get out and tap on some.

RaxCity

Then why is your thread title about searching for a K if you prefer the sound of an A?
I think you have to get out and tap on some.
Sorry to confuse you opentune. I was looking at a bunch of rides and I liked the sound of the K ride but I couldn't find anything in the A range that I liked as much in terms of the balance of ping and wash. I have gone out and tapped a few cymbals, but there is only a small selection available where I live so I'm mostly relying on video demos and sound files. I started this thread to see if people could recommend cymbals with a similar sound to the K ride I mentioned that I hadn't already thought about.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'd recommend that too, the older ones go for an absolute bargain so you can get a 60s/70s ride for a crazy price. I got my 22" A medium for £57 6 months ago. Hollow logo too just for coolness.

You'll get a totally unique sound because they will have aged plus no 2 sound alike (different weights, unique hammerings/lathing) but they are one of the most versatile rides you'll find. I find the bell is a bit poor on the K ride.

Failing that there's HH, Byzance, Istanbul, Bosphorous, Paiste Traditionals, Amedia, Ufip.

RaxCity

I'd recommend that too, the older ones go for an absolute bargain so you can get a 60s/70s ride for a crazy price. I got my 22" A medium for £57 6 months ago. Hollow logo too just for coolness.

You'll get a totally unique sound because they will have aged plus no 2 sound alike (different weights, unique hammerings/lathing) but they are one of the most versatile rides you'll find. I find the bell is a bit poor on the K ride.

Failing that there's HH, Byzance, Istanbul, Bosphorous, Paiste Traditionals, Amedia, Ufip.
Thanks for that, I had previously been listening to 20" A medium rides which I didn't particularly like, but I just heard a 22" A medium ride which I think is the perfect sound for me. It still would cost $340, but I'll see if I can spot any used models in good nick I'll definitely grab one. Thanks everybody!

MJD

Silver Member

22" A's are almost the perfect cymbal. I've got one from the late 70's that i'm never selling. The modern(post 2013 "redesign") ones sound really good as well. Cant go wrong with one as far as i can see