Cymbal temperature Question

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Hey guys.

It's gotten colder here lately, in the 60's which is cold for so fla.

I was wondering if that temperature would make it bad to play the cymbals? They are cold to the touch.

Thanks

alparrott

Platinum Member
Common question. It's been in a few threads lately. Generally speaking, metal has to be cooled quite far past 60 degrees to become brittle. It's not going to make your cymbals any more fragile than a "normal" room temperature might, at least not in terms of damage you might dole out with a pair of drumsticks.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Common question. It's been in a few threads lately. Generally speaking, metal has to be cooled quite far past 60 degrees to become brittle. It's not going to make your cymbals any more fragile than a "normal" room temperature might, at least not in terms of damage you might dole out with a pair of drumsticks.

Yeah I knew there was a few threads, but I wanted to know for this specific temperature...thanks!

I live in Florida too! Where in So Fla are you?

Pembroke Pines, you?

daredrummer

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure bronze, copper, and tin have to be well below 60 to become fragile, but I don't know much about this, so not %100...

MikeM

Platinum Member
I wouldn't begin to even think about imagining the thought of merely contemplating whether 60 deg would be too cold for cymbals. That's downright warm as far as I'm concerned. I might start to get concerned if temps dropped down to freezing or below, but again, not being a metallurgist, I really don't know.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
There are many threads here about this.
Cold temps are not a problem for cymbals. (Unless it is liquid nitrogen that you are referring to!)
Don't worry about it.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
Our jam room gets down to 40-45 during the winter months and I haven't had any problems bashing away at them for over two years now. I think 60 degrees will be just fine.