Cymbal sweet spot vs cymbal default position.

The Mayor is over thinking this. OMG!! Just please don't overthink stuff and just play your drums.
PLUS......the audience has no clue. Hell, they don't know if it's a high end custom cast, hand hammered by a guy with a turban and bare feet, lathed or not lathed, or how much you paid for it. And unless you're a real showman, they're probably not even watching you. Sorry, but that's the truth.

If you're worried about your cymbals being unbalanced, just add some of these guys. Problem solved!

hehehe that's an idea, it would act as a solid moongel at the same time.

PLUS......the audience has no clue. Hell, they don't know if it's a high end custom cast, hand hammered by a guy with a turban and bare feet, lathed or not lathed, or how much you paid for it. And unless you're a real showman, they're probably not even watching you. Sorry, but that's the truth.

I keep these opinions in mind, no mistakes, for later.

But so far there was never a thought about people in my mind, you guys brought it up and I consider it. At the beginning of the thread there was me, the cymbal and the sonic waves it produces, the link between me and these sounds. Really, that was my only context.

I try to appreciate what the instrument can do for me because when I play it, I want to appreciate the sound waves it produces. My project with the instrument is to replicate something I like very much, it's the best thing if I want to keep doing it, for now.

I don't underestimate how uninterested people can be.. and I would be a ass to think am better, I am the worst.

At this point I just try to get satisfaction for myself and if I ever reach that goal, then after, I'll think about people and their tastes.

The next part might be offensive but I don't have a choice, it's part of me. My practice is a hobby, the best thing I see right now, some day, it to eventually select people to come play here in my house, with me, at low volume, a high sensitivity experience with no judgements, just to appreciate music for ourselves.

IF this works and it feels great, then i'll think about the commercial part of music. Right now It's not going to be a job or anything involving high responsability, stress and money.

I just like jazz and progressive.

Auspicious
Please just enjoy what YOU are doing. Sometime in the future when you decide to "please" others with your playing it will show because you've learned the number one reason for music. Enjoyment. It ain't rocket science contrary to many who adhere to dissection, theory, and preponderance.
Have a good time and don't overthink it. Let it flow. Strawberry Fields ARE forever........

Auspicious
Please just enjoy what YOU are doing. Sometime in the future when you decide to "please" others with your playing it will show because you've learned the number one reason for music. Enjoyment. It ain't rocket science contrary to many who adhere to dissection, theory, and preponderance.
Have a good time and don't overthink it. Let it flow. Strawberry Fields ARE forever........

yesss :)

I am trending the other way. My ride is now higher up and at a much steeper angle because this helps me with my fast ride patterns. The stick rebounds better with the fingers when the cymbal is more vertical. Dead flat ride angles do look cool though, and it helps to avoid keyholing!

I am trending the other way. My ride is now higher up and at a much steeper angle because this helps me with my fast ride patterns. The stick rebounds better with the fingers when the cymbal is more vertical. Dead flat ride angles do look cool though, and it helps to avoid keyholing!

Same thing for me, for the jazz ride pattern, it needs an angle, it's not a crazy angle but still there is one. Mine must have around 10 to 15 degrees maximum...

One way to have fun with the "sweet" and the not as sweet spots is to play 12 bar blues on the different spots, call sweetest the I, another the IV and yet another the V.
It's fun

One way to have fun with the "sweet" and the not as sweet spots is to play 12 bar blues on the different spots, call sweetest the I, another the IV and yet another the V.
It's fun

thanks for the suggestion for the 12 bar blues. I should learn that, the blues shuffle, I can't commit to do it right now but I keep it in mind.

This thread is not dead yet, I find it surprising, like an old person in an hospital, supposed to be dead a long time ago but somewhat surviving without any problems and retaining a valuable bed for another person to come to die in and.. were am I going with this.. ?

I never thought about the sweet spot since, 2 weeks ago perhaps more.. at page 2 of this thread I I had already forgotten ?

But great, I should be happy.

I believe one of my initial inspiration was Jack Dejohnette, and I looked back at the video from Standards II 1987, Japan with Keith Jarrett and Gary Peacock.

The height of the ride is low in my opinion because well, it's a low drum kit also with a small bass drum.. But more then that the angle of the ride goes along with the natural angle of the arm playing on that cymbal, it appears. Unconsciously, I did the same thing.

E809LUr.png

PNldzXl.png

5fC3HaI.png

gdcAbEr.png

Compared with the ride setup of Carl Palmer, it's even lower. I find it very low but when he plays, it's cool.
XvjwMcu.png

It's not unusual for cymbals to have a weight difference within the cymbal itself. Tilt it, and let it settle onto its own playing position.
Don't drive yourself crazy over this.

Back