Cymbal suggestions (many requirements)

In my experience, Turkish and handmade will fit those requirements. Not sure of the US pricing, but over here those kinds of cymbals aren't expensive. Maybe a 19" medium crash or a 20" or 21" light ride from almost any of the Turkish manufacturers will do you well.

Take a bag of sticks and go to the music store. Find one you like for what you need. If it's over $200, see if you can find a used one on Craigslist or Ebay. I would recommend a medium-to-thinner 18-to-20 inch cymbal with a decent bell.

Check out Wuhan's 18" crash/ride from there new line of cymbals the "New Traditionals" They are really excellent cymbals. Handmade from B20 bronze The 18" has a nice full crash to it and as a secondary ride it's absolutely perfect, That's what I use it for. It fits your price $89.99 check it out www.cymbalsandsnares.com

I'm looking for a secondary crash, between 18-19". I am using it for rock/metal, and a price range of about £50-70, a bit cheap but I'm skint :( Any suggestions?

I'm looking for a secondary crash, between 18-19". I am using it for rock/metal, and a price range of about £50-70, a bit cheap but I'm skint :( Any suggestions?

Yes, Craigslist or eBay it. Don't settle for sheet metal, find a used pro cymbal for sale, try it out, buy it, done and done.

k3ng, if Dream Cymbals are available where you are, try some out. They're a good b20 cymbal for a decent price. Good for jazz/pop. Good luck.

Yes, Craigslist or eBay it. Don't settle for sheet metal, find a used pro cymbal for sale, try it out, buy it, done and done.
Many pro cymbals are made from sheet metal. How many times? Sheesh.

Otherwise, yep, buying used high quality cymbals is the way to go if you're on a tight budget.

I don't agree with the terminology used here. "Sheet metal" as is known in the metals industry is forged and stamped, and denotes a cheaply made product. Cymbals are all casted, not forged, whether cut from large blanks or not, and are sonically nowhere close to comparison with the dead sound you would get from forged sheets.

It would be like calling Ludwig's Ludalloy that they used on Supraphonics simple "pot metal".

All metal is cast. All cymbals are made from metal sheets, except for Ufip rotocast cymbals.

Sheet metal is simply metal formed into thin and flat pieces. It can be formed by stamping, rolling, drawing, ironing, incremental sheet forming and so on.

Common Zildjian-influenced cymbal terminology denotes cast cymbals as cymbals made from sheets made from smaller individual casts, while sheet cymbals are made from pieces cut out from larger sheets, but this is not the core difference. As is explained at the Paiste site, all that really matters is the type of alloy and the annealing, shaping/hammering and lathing process.

So, again, all cymbals are cast, the majority of cymbals is sheet metal and a lot of "pro" cymbals come from larger sheets of bronze.

And buying used is still a great idea.

I think it's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo thrown out by manufacturers in cheap attempts to belittle one another and is as completely irrelevant as the silly aloy debate, as if one should be superior to another.

And not every metal is casted. The cast vs forged debate goes on in every metal industry. Sheet metal is forged into sheets, not casted, like cymbals are. If you were to tap a typical piece of sheet metal with a stick, it would sound dead, while a casted piece of metal would ring with sustain.

Just bought a Zildjian A series medium crash 75$. used. what a steal...also it came with a medium ride Brilliant finish 100$. What a score...

I think it's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo thrown out by manufacturers in cheap attempts to belittle one another and is as completely irrelevant as the silly aloy debate, as if one should be superior to another.
Exactly, and that is the main point here.

Sound is all that matters.

Strangelove said:
And not every metal is casted. The cast vs forged debate goes on in every metal industry. Sheet metal is forged into sheets, not casted, like cymbals are. If you were to tap a typical piece of sheet metal with a stick, it would sound dead, while a casted piece of metal would ring with sustain.
But isn't forging performed on cast metal ingots? You have to melt ore in order to produce metal. You then pour the liquid metal into a mold - cast it, and then roll, stamp, forge, or do whatever else is necessary.

This is exactly what's done with all cymbals except Ufip rotocasts - they are not cast into cymbal shape. They are made from cast bronze ingots which are rolled and stamped into sheets which is then hammered or stamped into cymbal shape. Musical properties are (re-)acquired by proper annealing and hammering.
Off course, it's not all that simple, but that's the basic of the process.

My suggestion: Sabian 18" AA El Sabor Crash/Ride. Sweet crash, versatile ride (pop, latin, jazz), and a fantastic bell (like one of the best I've ever heard). This pie is one of the few cymbals I'll never sell, and if I had only one set-up to handle everything, this would be part of it.

And check it, they're only $209 NEW, so you should be able to find a decent deal on a used one.

OK, OK, how about: stay away from CHEAP cymbals? or cymbals that don't sound good?

"Bad entry-level cymbals" is how I'd phrase it. Don't settle for what you don't really like just because it's affordable.

Back