Cymbal Storage and Display DIY

WaitForItDrummer

Hi everyone,

So wanted a low cost, space saving way to display and store cymbals... and did not want to drill 20+ holes in the walls.

Came up with this - bits from Wickes (like Home Depot).

Hope you like it.

Attachments

• IMG_8464.JPG
    IMG_8464.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_8466.JPG
    IMG_8466.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMG_8465.JPG
    IMG_8465.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 757
That's a smashing idea, Kate. What parts did you use?

Thanks!

Wood: approx 3 cm x 6 cm x 240 cm long (£2.99 at Wickes)

bolts:
8mm (8M) 6.5 cm long (£3 for 6) + Giblartar Mini 4" cymbal stackers (£6 ea)
OR
8mm (8M) 10cm long (about £1 each from eBay) + bolt, cymbal sleeve, felts and 8mm wing nut (bits I had)

screws to secure to wall:
7.5 cm hex head coach screws (x3) + wall plugs

also need a:
- drill with various drill bits,
- wood saw to cut around the skirting and
- a spirit level

Now that's my style! Contemporary and clean! Sensational!

Thanks!

Wood: approx 3 cm x 6 cm x 240 cm long (£2.99 at Wickes)

bolts:
8mm (8M) 6.5 cm long (£3 for 6) + Giblartar Mini 4" cymbal stackers (£6 ea)
OR
8mm (8M) 10cm long (about £1 each from eBay) + bolt, cymbal sleeve, felts and 8mm wing nut (bits I had)

screws to secure to wall:
7.5 cm hex head coach screws (x3) + wall plugs

also need a:
- drill with various drill bits,
- wood saw to cut around the skirting and
- a spirit level

I will think about a way I can do this without wall-mounting. Thanks a lot!

That looks wicked cool!! Great job.

That looks awesome! Very nice job.

I built two cymbal holders out of scrap materials. Each unit holds a number of cymbals that aren't currently in use.

Credit goes to Mike Johnston. I copped this design from images of his practice studio.

Attachments

• DrumStudio3LoRes.jpg
    DrumStudio3LoRes.jpg
    725.7 KB · Views: 816
  • CymbalMount1.jpg
    CymbalMount1.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 696
  • CymbalMount3.jpg
    CymbalMount3.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 718
  • CymbalMount2.jpg
    CymbalMount2.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 710
  • DrumStudio4LoRes.jpg
    DrumStudio4LoRes.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 859
That looks awesome! Very nice job.

I built two cymbal holders out of scrap materials. Each unit holds a number of cymbals that aren't currently in use.

Credit goes to Mike Johnston. I copped this design from images of his practice studio.

That's very cool! Love it.

What's type of bolt did you use?
I was looking for a single bolt like that that can screw into the wall directly and hold a lot of weight, but didn't find any thing - I guess didn't know what I was looking for.

Also, what material your wall is made of?

That's very cool! Love it.

What's type of bolt did you use?
I was looking for a single bolt like that that can screw into the wall directly and hold a lot of weight, but didn't find any thing - I guess didn't know what I was looking for.

Also, what material your wall is made of?

The "bolt" is a 1/4" by 8-inch fully threaded stud (a headless bolt).
It screws through the 3/4" birch plywood base into a T-nut (on the back side of the base).
Then an additional nut and large flat washer on the front side of the base plate holds the stud securely in place.
I used heat shrink tubing on the threaded stud to protect each cymbal center hole.

I located studs behind the studio wall (sheetrock) and screwed 3-inch drywall screws through the base plate and
adhered small felt circles over the drywall screw heads to prevent the cymbals from getting scratched.

Depending on what cymbals are stored on each unit, I can easily get at least six cymbals mounted per unit, including the China cymbals.

By the way, I like your mounting system because you can see every cymbal. Very nicely executed job!

The "bolt" is a 1/4" by 8-inch fully threaded stud (a headless bolt).
It screws through the 3/4" birch plywood base into a T-nut (on the back side of the base).
Then an additional nut and large flat washer on the front side of the base plate holds the stud securely in place.
I used heat shrink tubing on the threaded stud to protect each cymbal center hole.

I located studs behind the studio wall (sheetrock) and screwed 3-inch drywall screws through the base plate and
adhered small felt circles over the drywall screw heads to prevent the cymbals from getting scratched.

Depending on what cymbals are stored on each unit, I can easily get at least six cymbals mounted per unit, including the China cymbals.

By the way, I like your mounting system because you can see every cymbal. Very nicely executed job!

Aaah! That makes sense. Excellent.
You don't happen to have a picture of one of these headless bolts and dry wall screws? I think I know what they look like but not 100%.

My wall is (I think) drywal + airgap + breezblock or brick so it I could get things secured to the breezblock (or brick), wouldn't need the long piece of wood.

Good to know that a drywall screw can hold that much weight!

Aaah! That makes sense. Excellent.
You don't happen to have a picture of one of these headless bolts and dry wall screws? I think I know what they look like but not 100%.

My wall is (I think) drywal + airgap + breezblock or brick so it I could get things secured to the breezblock (or brick), wouldn't need the long piece of wood.

Good to know that a drywall screw can hold that much weight!

Here's reference images of a short threaded stud and a 3" drywall screw.

The bulk of the weight is supported by the framed 24" X 24" birch plywood base plate.
The wall studs in my studio are on 16" centers, so I spaced both units where I could screw
each base plate to two wall studs (two drywall screws per stud, a total of four drywall screws
per unit) to further distribute the weight of everything to the studio wall.

Attachments

• Threaded StudLoRes.jpg
    Threaded StudLoRes.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 605
  • Drywall Screw.jpg
    Drywall Screw.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 601
Here's reference images of a short threaded stud and a 3" drywall screw.

The bulk of the weight is supported by the framed 24" X 24" birch plywood base plate.
The wall studs in my studio are on 16" centers, so I spaced both units where I could screw
each base plate to two wall studs (two drywall screws per stud, a total of four drywall screws
per unit) to further distribute the weight of everything to the studio wall.

Thanks! Got you - so you also had to use wood to support the weight.
That's really good to know, cheers!

Cool idea! Now you got me thinking... If I were to build something to let me store and quickly access cymbals. I realized the other day that I have quite a few cymbals. I am thinking some sort of dish rack style where the wood base is soft enough to cradle the cymbal, and then maybe sets of separation dowels either for each cymbal, of maybe by size.

Right now they are out of control.

Cool idea! Now you got me thinking... If I were to build something to let me store and quickly access cymbals. I realized the other day that I have quite a few cymbals. I am thinking some sort of dish rack style where the wood base is soft enough to cradle the cymbal, and then maybe sets of separation dowels either for each cymbal, of maybe by size.

Right now they are out of control.

Sounds great! Post your pics once you've done it.

Now I'm also thinking building another vertical piece of wood and a horizontal one in between them for smaller (lighter) splashes and bells...

Sounds great! Post your pics once you've done it.

Now I'm also thinking building another vertical piece of wood and a horizontal one in between them for smaller (lighter) splashes and bells...

Will do.I just want to make something compact and functional to keep extra cymbals accessible, safe, but out of the way.

Back