Cymbal Stand Help

Recently purchased a drum set for my son and this was one of the stands we received. It is a Yamaha and does not have treads and a wing nut like most. Measure 9.7 mm. I have not found another stand like it during my research. What type of cymbal sleeve gets used with it? Cymbal with it is also pictured and the hole for it is bigger than the other symbols we have. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

D78DFE93-4AE5-45DB-82C5-1024C69A7DFD.jpeg
6E6CFAC0-B0A9-4BFC-9164-831010DD8A6B.jpeg

Attachments

• CBD3DA15-A38B-4AD8-98E0-669115649F88.jpeg
    CBD3DA15-A38B-4AD8-98E0-669115649F88.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 6
It's too thick for a hi hat rod... What does the other end look like?

It might be for cowbells or other percussion gadgets.

Recently purchased a drum set for my son and this was one of the stands we received. It is a Yamaha and does not have treads and a wing nut like most. Measure 9.7 mm. I have not found another stand like it during my research. What type of cymbal sleeve gets used with it? Cymbal with it is also pictured and the hole for it is bigger than the other symbols we have. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

View attachment 89678
View attachment 89679

B9C6BA2C-50BC-4D82-8381-3633D8B49C94.jpeg
A187A06A-6A88-484C-A7E7-0FB281C5BB33.jpeg
above are additional photos

It's difficult to estimate the gauge/diameter of the mount from the pics. It's either a 10.5mm bar for mounting blocks/cowbells, if smaller.... a mount for an auxiliary hi-hat or it might be a stacker bar with only one stop on it.

You can order the standard end from Yamaha if you want to use it as a normal cymbal stand.

Looks like some kind of attempt at making a cymbal stacker. That's a red label 80's/90's Yamaha stand.

Attachments

• cymbal stacker.jpg
    cymbal stacker.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 3
Agreed that it looks like red label after viewing images. What accessory do I need to make this a functional cymbal stand?
Well, first .... I'd start with taking off that round thing that's half way up the shaft. Looks like there's a bolt holding it tight. Hopefully, under that you'll find that you're just dealing with an extension shaft that's been threaded onto a standard Yamaha cymbal holder. And if that's the case, get yourself a cymbal stand washer/sleeve (or washer and sleeve separate), a couple of felts, and an 8mm wing nut ..... bam ..... you're in business.

Attachments

• cymbal top parts.jpg
    cymbal top parts.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It’s cobbled together. The top shaft looks like it’s a boom arm that’s had half of it’s tilter removed or the top shaft of a straight stand that’s had half its tilter removed. It’s been turned upside down and the remaining half of the tilter has been mated with half of the tilter from the top of the straight stand. You could by all means do something with it but at its heart I think it’s a DIY project gone wrong.

Take that very top piece off and I think you will see the shaft underneath is threaded right where the tilter is

Found a factory Yamaha cymbal stacker on eBay. Looks like this thing is factory. If that smooth shaft ISN'T threaded, it would be easy to actually get back into service as ..... a cymbal stacker. If you only want to hang one cymbal on it, you only use the top part. I guess you could push that round spacer to the lowest position .... certainly won't need a wing nut with that extra long shaft (cymbal is not gonna come off).

Attachments

• yamaha cymbal stacker a.jpg
    yamaha cymbal stacker a.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 5
  • yamaha cymbal stacker b.jpg
    yamaha cymbal stacker b.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 5
  • yamaha cymbal stacker c.jpg
    yamaha cymbal stacker c.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 3
  • yamaha cymbal stacker d.jpg
    yamaha cymbal stacker d.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3
Found a factory Yamaha cymbal stacker on eBay. Looks like this thing is factory. If that smooth shaft ISN'T threaded, it would be easy to actually get back into service as ..... a cymbal stacker. If you only want to hang one cymbal on it, you only use the top part. I guess you could push that round spacer to the lowest position .... certainly won't need a wing nut with that extra long shaft (cymbal is not gonna come off).
Do you not use sleeves with stackers like these?

A few photos after taking it apart as much as possible. Flat spot at the top of it. It does look like part of a stacker as some suggested. Do you not use sleeves with stackers since the post is almost 10mm?
F9107321-EE65-42C1-BC9C-5F595418E8DB.jpeg

A1E0228C-B795-4291-B6D6-2B970596611C.jpeg
E4EAC9AE-1738-4A59-847C-C0C6E7362881.jpeg

A few photos after taking it apart as much as possible. Flat spot at the top of it. It does look like part of a stacker as some suggested. Do you not use sleeves with stackers since the post is almost 10mm?
I have a few Yamaha short boom arms from this era, and they use the black washer/sleeve unit that Yamaha still uses today. I doubt they'd be big enough to fit over the stacker rod, however.

But, I would use a sleeve (even if I had to make one out of aquarium tube).

Leecountymusic has a Yamaha unit for sale, on eBay .... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-OWNER-19...352487?hash=item3fbe66df27:g:gG4AAOSwPjhb021P ..... a little more "deluxe" model than yours (and Lee is a bit pricey) ..... but these things ain't cheap.

Do as Harry suggested with the filter listed on eBay. Your stand looks like the old 800 series, which are excellent stands. It's well worth repairing.

GeeDeeEmm

I think Alan Rieder has also solved the mystery:

Last edited:
Back