Cymbal stand arrangement: your advice please

BGDurham

Hi folks, I was going to wait until I got my new drums all situated to post pics on the "latest purchase" thread, but I'm in a bit of an "analysis paralysis" situation and so I'm letting the cat partially out of the bag to ask for your advice about how to thin my forest of hardware (see pic).

Excluding the ride and the hats (both of which seem to require the stands they are on), the cymbals are (L->R): 18" crash, 10" splash, 16" crash, 17" trash crash (I plan on buying the trash crash soon, the Sabian B8 17" crash is a stand-in).

I'm thinking I'll purchase a sturdy double tom stand and put the toms on it and then use multiclamps to attach the 18" crash, 10" splash, and 16" crash to the tom stand. I would leave the 17" trash crash on its own stand.

Thanks for your thoughts!

1649905004028.png

You might be able to get 3 cymbals and 2 toms on one stand. Make sure the height adjustment has a memory lock on it.

Worst case, you could easily put the splash and two toms on one base, reducing two stands.

Or get two stands with one tom and two cymbals on each. Gets the whole side done with two stands, but it would be an effort lining up the two toms every time.

I'd trim the cymbal landscape to hats, a ride, and two crashes. Reduction is a natural component of my problem-solving approach. I always aspire to subtract rather than to add. What isn't present doesn't consume resources.

Just a thought, not an instruction.

Last edited:
Sometimes ergonomics should override what you may perceive to be your 'ideal' set up.
I would look at moving one of your crashes next to your ride - if you play any fills that end on your ft then you currently have a big torso movement to get to a crash.
Doing this would allow you to mount that crash and your ride on one stand. Your 2 toms and the splash on one stand and your 2 left hand crashes on one stand, dropping your tripod count down to 3.....
Or as others have said - stealth rack it.

Love that finish btw

Double tom stand seems the easiest / most efficient way to manage an off set configuration. I use that configuration quite often, and always with a double tom stand with a splash boom stuck in the stand (Premier Rocklock). I put my tom stand the closest as possible to the bass drum.

Attachments

• DSCF7147.jpg
    DSCF7147.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 4
Hmmm…

Your saying 3 pies on 1 stand as well as double tom mount?

Pearl hardware best in the game.

For my crash cluster I can do up to an 18” 14” 8” splash but it’s tight.

2030 bc includes TL2030 Gyro Lock Holder
This 2030 is the foundation
TL2030 Gyro Lock cymbal holder
CH70 boom arm w/attachment
ADP 30 multiclamp
and boom

This configuration it’s cluster to left, 4 cymbals 1 crash 3 splashes, and 2 toms racked on the 2030 bc and only a tripod below for footprint.

FDA5E730-A0E3-478C-90F4-402C334EB5BB.jpeg

Here’s how much boom or ‘stem’ space they have.
The TL2030 is revolutionary, it is a sliding Gyro Lock holder that can move anywhere about the boom stem for flexibility.
7DD5DF79-9645-48B7-9F54-CFFCB3A682FE.jpeg

2030bc This Beast can do it all!
4D373C04-BD61-4775-82E9-7D818E5EC57C.jpeg
Edit* not sure how your toms would mount to the adp 30, but I’m sure Tama has multi clamp for that, and you could use the 2030 for foundation?

Last edited:
I use Yamaha hardware ..... and I could easily copy Ransan's layout with some existing Yamaha pieces I have (and some universal aux. clamps). Here's a picture of a Sonor ...... but you could probably do the same with almost any of the major brands hardware. And running 2 toms shouldn't be a problem.

sonor basic arm-system ba ch cymbal holder.jpg

I use Yamaha hardware ..... and I could easily copy Ransan's layout with some existing Yamaha pieces I have (and some universal aux. clamps). Here's a picture of a Sonor ...... but you could probably do the same with almost any of the major brands hardware. And running 2 toms shouldn't be a problem.

View attachment 117667
Very True, for me the TL2030s clean things up quite a bit. My config doesn’t have all the arms of the Sonor that you shown, which is remarkable config as well, it’s pretty insane.

I have the crash and 2 splashes on the knurled extension, there’s not that many arms and junctions as the Sonor kit has.

Here’s an example of what they look like on the same knurled plane, there’s not so many truss or arm obstruction and they are 360 rotating holders.
9E33D3E6-C6C7-4C50-9593-EE2A9BD91932.jpeg

Always interesting to see other folks’ setups. Noticed you had all your crash cymbals on the left side. Super interesting to see that. I think it would be possible to break up those five stands into probably two multi-stands or combo stands, thus greatly reducing the chrome forest happening there. (I would try putting the 12” rack, the splash and the crash closest to the bass drum on one stand, the 10” rack and the other 2 crashes closer to the hi-hat on the other combo stand. Maybe. Lots of options here.)

I could never get away with putting any stand any further forward than the resonant edge of the bass drum. Not in a live situation anyway. Small stages and all that. Lead singer would have nowhere to stand! If this is an at-home kit then you do you my dude.

The only thing I'd change is getting a double tom stand for the two toms. Keep the splash multi-clamped off of the double tom stand, but otherwise keep all of the bigger cymbals on their own stand.

I've tried getting creative multi-clamping a lot of things off of limited stands but the end result was never good enough to be sustainable. Either there's too much movement, too many things making noise from vibration in the stand, or the stand becomes too heavy or hard to position.

I try to keep everything on a dedicated stand as much as I can. It can be a little cluttered but everything sounds better and I find I don't have to compromise the placement as much.

The only thing I'd change is getting a double tom stand for the two toms. Keep the splash multi-clamped off of the double tom stand, but otherwise keep all of the bigger cymbals on their own stand.

I've tried getting creative multi-clamping a lot of things off of limited stands but the end result was never good enough to be sustainable. Either there's too much movement, too many things making noise from vibration in the stand, or the stand becomes too heavy or hard to position.

I try to keep everything on a dedicated stand as much as I can. It can be a little cluttered but everything sounds better and I find I don't have to compromise the placement as much.
That’s the beauty of Pearls hardware department and design, they have for thought, with the intention of this piece being a mini rack.

The TL 2030s (see below) are game changers and make setup tear down as easy as sliding across the knurled arm or simply keeping them in and removing the cymbal.

CAF1CB33-C212-4FA7-965E-8DC7551ED6E8.jpeg
They come with cymbal cup holder that is reversible, to give the cymbals or attachments a ‘locked’ seat preventing overtones.

Here’s Pearl’s ad:
https://pearldrum.com/en/products/hardware/boom-stands/bc2030

Great looking kit, love the blue. Don't like all that metal though.
A double tom stand could hold toms and easily the splash, maybe 2 cymbals
Then you have morereal estate to spread out the base of your crash stand out front, which looks VERY tippy.

Thanks everyone! I purchased a PDP double tom stand w/3rd hole receiver and clamp w/boom extension at Raleigh's 2112 Percussion. The main changes are: at the left I have my ride directly atop the cymbal stand and my 18" crash clamped about halfway up and extending over the bass drum. I know this crash is where the ride "should" be, but the ride is so heavy it makes my the stand shake (it's a single braced Tama Stage Master; I may have to shell out for a sturdier, heavier stand). So far I actually like this set-up, and I angled the crash away from me since it's so low angling it away is the only way I can get a good "boosh".

On the double tom holder I have my 16" crash atop the top half of another Tama Stage Master stand inserted into the 3rd hole receiver and a little splash clamped onto it. A lot less metal than in my first picture (above). Thanks again for your ideas!PXL_20220422_000340738.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I purchased a PDP double tom stand w/3rd hole receiver and clamp w/boom extension at Raleigh's 2112 Percussion. The main changes are: at the left I have my ride directly atop the cymbal stand and my 18" crash clamped about halfway up and extending over the bass drum. I know this crash is where the ride "should" be, but the ride is so heavy it makes my the stand shake (it's a single braced Tama Stage Master; I may have to shell out for a sturdier, heavier stand). So far I actually like this set-up, and I angled the crash away from me since it's so low angling it away is the only way I can get a good "boosh".

On the double tom holder I have my 16" crash atop the top half of another Tama Stage Master stand inserted into the 3rd hole receiver and a little splash clamped onto it. A lot less metal than in my first picture (above). Thanks again for your ideas!View attachment 118016

First, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.
Second, is that a Blues Deluxe RI in the foreground?
Third, why haven't you posted this beauty here?:

:)

I have my ride directly atop the cymbal stand and my 18" crash clamped about halfway up and extending over the bass drum. I know this crash is where the ride "should" be, but the ride is so heavy it makes my the stand shake (it's a single braced Tama Stage Master; I may have to shell out for a sturdier, heavier stand).
Did you put one of the stand's legs directly under the boom arm? That usually solves it for me. I'd put the ride in the lower position not because it's where it "should" be, but because your arm is extended toward the cymbal while riding it, rather than just for a quick strike, so it's more ergonomic. YMMV.

First, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.
Second, is that a Blues Deluxe RI in the foreground?
Third, why haven't you posted this beauty here?:
Thanks!
Why, yes, I suppose it is a Blues Deluxe RI in the foreground. I didn't know what that is and had to google it and then look at the back of the amp. It is one of our guitarist's amp.
Hmm...I thought posting it here and also in the latest purchases thread was enough.
L8r

Did you put one of the stand's legs directly under the boom arm? That usually solves it for me. I'd put the ride in the lower position not because it's where it "should" be, but because your arm is extended toward the cymbal while riding it, rather than just for a quick strike, so it's more ergonomic. YMMV.
Indeed I did. The stand didn't sway but it just seemed to be struggling with the load and the spread of the load. A couple days ago I switched out the Stage Master for an old school double-braced Mapex tank and put the ride down and crash up--definitely feels more natural and this stand can handle the load.

My OCD wants to spread the legs all the way out on that double tom stand for maximum stability.

1651012916354.jpeg

Back