Cymbal Stacking Feedback

Progdrummer05

Hey everybody, hoping to get some feedback, I've always been a fan of trashy cymbal stacks and I'm getting ready to try a new idea. I've always played small ones but ready to try something bigger. My ideal stack is a splash/crash mounted upside inside a china cymbal, similar to the Matt Halpern Double Down Stack. I got an 18 inch oriental china trash but I can't decide the crash I want to use. Its either a Zildjian 16 inch K efx or a K custom 16 inch special dry crash. What are y'alls thoughts and I should mention that I only play Zildjian.

I'm not familiar with any of those cymbals personally. Based on a quick listen of mycymbal.com demos, the EFX crash seems better suited for a stack.

If you have access to them, try both. If not, follow your guts.

Go to a shop that has both, try them out. If that's not an option, order them online and send the one back you dislike. There are shops that offer a refund if you return it in 30 days or so.

I’ve used both a 16” K EFX and an 18” A Custom EFX as part of stacks, and they both worked very well. So if the 16” K EFX fits well into the 18” china, that would be my choice.

BTW, I recently started stacking my two EFX cymbals with the 16 on top of the 18, and it sounds great! A little less “stacky“ and more of a very dirty crash sound, but that’s what I was going for and I’m very happy with it.

Is there a reason that you only play Zildjian? That cuts out a lot of options.

Back