Cymbal Set?

When I got back into playing about 18 months ago, I went straight to Ebay and started searching for Zildjian As, mostly vintage stuff I guess. Picked up a 20" ride from the 50s/60s, a set of 14" New Beats from the 70s, an 18" crash ride from the 60s, and a 16" thin crash from the 80s probably. I spent right at $500. A lot of guys don't like Ebay. It's harder to sell and make money on Ebay, than it is to find a deal to buy.

Check other forums as well. Drummingdeals.com in the last couple weeks sold some great Zildjian As and Ks for considerably less than I've ever seen new. Brand new crashes for under $150, similar prices on other cymbals. Check it out every few days.

Great conversation all, but I think the OP is long gone. 3 pages and 40 replies later and not a peep.

Guess it's just us in here now ?

.........I like cymbals.

I hope he’s okay. I hope he didn’t, against all advice, buy a (gasp) b19.9 or less cymbal that chipped and hit him in the eye or something! #cheapcymbalskill #b20>you #onthe8thdaygodcreatedcymbalsusingthecastmethod #satanstamps

I hope he’s okay. I hope he didn’t, against all advice, buy a (gasp) b19.9 or less cymbal that chipped and hit him in the eye or something! #cheapcymbalskill #b20>you #onthe8thdaygodcreatedcymbalsusingthecastmethod #satanstamps

Yeah, the fact is that some B20 cymbals made through traditional casting are more rigid (and thus more brittle) than some sheet cymbals that consist of B8, B12, or B15. A Zildjian K might be the best candidate to take out an eye.

As a side note, I will never ever stop pimping my favorite cymbal in my kit, my China trash stack. It’s an $11 used Wuhan 12” China with the bell opening down, topped with a kid’s kit 10” brass cymbal that has holes punched in it and an unfolded paper clip threaded through the holes.

It buzzes a touch, sounds trashy and has near instant decay. It is complete garbage and should only be used in specific contexts, but I like it more than my AAX Freq Crash or my K Custom Hybrid Hats.

This is the human equivalent of spending hundreds of dollars on a huge playplace/gym for your cat but the cat clearly prefers the box it came in.

As a side note, I will never ever stop pimping my favorite cymbal in my kit, my China trash stack. It’s an $11 used Wuhan 12” China with the bell opening down, topped with a kid’s kit 10” brass cymbal that has holes punched in it and an unfolded paper clip threaded through the holes.

It buzzes a touch, sounds trashy and has near instant decay. It is complete garbage and should only be used in specific contexts, but I like it more than my AAX Freq Crash or my K Custom Hybrid Hats.

This is the human equivalent of spending hundreds of dollars on a huge playplace/gym for your cat but the cat clearly prefers the box it came in.

Man, that's one roughed-up cymbal. But hey, sometimes character and scars go hand in hand. Few things pristine have stories to tell, at least not stories worth hearing.

Great conversation all, but I think the OP is long gone. 3 pages and 40 replies later and not a peep.

Probably busy ordering a Pearl Masterworks kit hahaha.
Was a user on the Pearl forum years ago that got a huge over the top Masterworks set (i like big kits, so can you imagine hehe).
Posted a couple of pics after he got it and vanished from the forum after that too

There are times when forum members get questions like this and we all to often go on and on hyping our personal preferences rather than paying attention to their actual needs. And yep, I totally do it also (MUST . . . NOT . . . HYPE . . . VINTAGE . . . ZILDJIANS . . .)

I'm guessing that when the OP heard us droning on, he's thinking something along these lines . . .

I was looking at the Weiss cymbals because of the aesthetics; wanted a nice brilliant cymbal set without all the modern lettering and logos to put with my vintage wood hoops kit. Excited to hear the nice reviews about the playability and quality of the cymbals. I think I'll get myself a set for my birthday this month. I'll be cellebrating my band's first gig since Covid hit when we play out on Easter Sunday. Let's mak some noise!

Back