CYMBAL REPAIRS / MODS

RMS

You know, having a china that is warped might just increase the trashiness, which may be a good thing depending on your preference.

Darrel

RMS said:
You know, having a china that is warped might just increase the trashiness, which may be a good thing depending on your preference.
cheers mate if anything thats what i thought that it was a bit more trashy which is cool in the mix but just not as musical on its own ,
its only slight if at all but i just wondered if there was any easy fix like putting it on a flat suface and putting pressure on it.
i just didnt want to mess anything up with out getting some advice first!!

Mr. Polo

My cracked cymbal

I've checked out a couple posts on cracked cymbals, but would still like some advice...

I have a 1960's 18" Zildjian A series thin crash and it has a 2 1/2 inch crack near the bell. (The crack is too near the bell to cut it down to a smaller size crash or splash.) You can't even tell it's cracked when you play it. It really sounds good, so I'd like to keep this one around. And, I'm not interested in it becoming trashy sounding.

So, I'm wondering if I should repair it by drilling two small holes at the end of the crack to prevent it from growing, or if I should just leave it alone.

The cymbal has nice, long, sustain. If I were to drill it out, would it affect the sound?

If drilling out is the answer, what size bit should I use?

Any other suggestions?

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
Re: My cracked cymbal

check out cymbalholic.com for more details but i would use a steel drillbit 3 to 5 mm in diameter. drill from underneath onto an old bit of carpet. make the hole 1mm further than the leading edge of the crack (as often brass cracks internally before becoming visibly damaged on the surface)

j

ps: please post before and after images of your cymbal to help others in this thread.

Mr. Polo

Re: My cracked cymbal

NUTHA JASON said:
check out cymbalholic.com for more details but i would use a steel drillbit 3 to 5 mm in diameter. drill from underneath onto an old bit of carpet. make the hole 1mm further than the leading edge of the crack (as often brass cracks internally before becoming visibly damaged on the surface)

j

ps: please post before and after images of your cymbal to help others in this thread.
I'm including a copy of the cymbal as it is now. I checked out cymbalholic.com as you suggested and I'm leaning toward drilling it out and using JB Weld. There seems to have been some real success with that method. I'm just concerned about what will happen to the sound.

I'm going to continue to research it before I jump into a repair.

Any other feedback is very appreciated!

Attachments

RMS

Wow, that cymbal is really shiny for being so old! Must have been taken care of, except for that crack.. what a shame. I don't know about JB weld affecting the sound, but I know it will definitely hold the crack together! I've used it on an old car. I think the effect on the sound will be minimal if you wipe off all excess and don't let it dry into the lathe grooves.

Cutting crashes into splashes?

I have a 16" Camber c-4000 or whatever..and its awful (of coarse)

Has anyone had any experience with cutting it into a 8" splash or something like that?
Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

Sorry if this is a repeated thread.
thanks

pdp 9091

Gold Member
Re: Cutting crashes into splashes?

just buy a new splash like an a custom zildjian for 60 bucks or even if u wanna spend less a paiste 502 for only 30 bucks...i wouldnt waiste time cuttin a camber cymbal

jangus

Silver Member

Why doesnt anybody help with what he asked for?

I believe Nutha has some experience in this. I think?

M

mlehnertz

Cutting down a big cymbal like that will not give a spash-like sound if that's what you're looking for. It's simply too big. It'll give you a sound, and it might be worth checking out, but if you're looking for a splash, buy one.

Cutting it... Hmmm, that I can't tell you. Perhaps a lathe if you have one available? A metal saw and grinding wheel?

Cool Cat Magee said:

Has anyone had any experience with cutting it into a 8" splash or something like that?
Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

thanks

M

mlehnertz

Or, you could buy some Paiste color sound cymbals from eBay. That was quite the short-live fad, wasn't it?

Afrolicious said:
Speaking of cymbal mods, would it affect the sound if I painted my cymbals with usual car paint out of the can? I've rarely seen painted cymbals but it should be easy to do and not very expensive.

brittc89

Pioneer Member

Cool Cat Magee said:

Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

thanks
Aww man. Cutting a spun cymbal, or any cymbal is very difficult. You have to use an industrial cutting tool of sort. I tried to use a medium sized rotary saw on an old ZBT and I broke the bit, plus ended up with tons of shards of cymbal everywhere; hair, clothes, socks (that one was an ouch).

harryconway

Platinum Member

If you have a connection with a metal shop, it can be done, but it's a gamble. Putting a cymbal on a lathe will get you a smaller cymbal. That's about the only guarantee. What it will sound like is anybody's guess. A drum shop here in L.A. was saying they would send your cracked cymbal to "some guy" with a "military lazer" and for x$, I think it was all pretty much bull.

Stevesmithfan

Pioneer Member

Don't do it. Splash cymbals are cheaper than paying someone to cut your cymbal. Bad idea.

illinidrummerdude

i had a buddy who had a cracked18 zil customz and anothor friend he used a lazer to cut it so it was perfect the sound that was another story

workinprogress

Cool Cat Magee said:

Is this possible?
How do I cut it??

thanks
I am going to try and cut a 15" sabian crash with this big bandsaw at work. I actually found the cymbal in a dumpster. Its got a nice llong crack in it. Will let you know how it goes.

hevy kevy

YES it is possible. I gave myself a Dremel for christmas last year, and it works great!
Put a drumstick into a vise vertically, put the cymbal hole on the stick, and slowly work it back and forth while you hold the dremel in your other hand. I have a cymbal that I cut 2"
off, and it sounds great, and another that I cut off so the cymbal looks like a slice of pizza,
and it sounds great. As long as the shape is symetrical, the cymbal will ring. And if it doesn't work, it was broken anyway, right?
I had a cymbal years ago that broke all the way around in the middle. I felt it was my duty to present the clubowner with the "no bell " prize!

M

mlehnertz

Interesting... If you could rig something up where it held the drumstick and the dremel tool at the same time, that'd work I bet. Sort of a router table kind of contraption.

hevy kevy said:
YES it is possible. I gave myself a Dremel for christmas last year, and it works great!
Put a drumstick into a vise vertically, put the cymbal hole on the stick, and slowly work it back and forth while you hold the dremel in your other hand. I have a cymbal that I cut 2"
off, and it sounds great, and another that I cut off so the cymbal looks like a slice of pizza,
and it sounds great. As long as the shape is symetrical, the cymbal will ring. And if it doesn't work, it was broken anyway, right?
I had a cymbal years ago that broke all the way around in the middle. I felt it was my duty to present the clubowner with the "no bell " prize!