CYMBAL REPAIRS / MODS

Re: cymbal variations and modifications of old cymbals

yep...........u are right about that ride. sounds like a crash. but nice thing to do with that pizza box. i have a cheap crash/ride from zildjian that gets out of control too. ill try the same treatment on that. hope it improves.

bodinski

Re: cymbal variations and modifications of old cymbals

I use a tiny piece of moongel on my 21" AAX Stage ride sometimes. That sucker can be washy when provoked, and the moongel takes the edge off for the most part.

richard_paradox

fourstringdrums said:
I should mention that if you do decide to drill a hole at the end of the crack, make sure you take a magnifying glass and check to see where the crack REALLY ends. You may be only able to see a part of it without getting a closer look. I had a Sabian AA Medium-Thin crash that cracked and my dad drilled a hole in it, but he must not have seen the actual end of the crack because the hole didn't stop it from cracking further.
what this man said is true check to see where the end is i made this mistake also check both top and underside of the cymbal and use a real sharp bit to get a nice clean cut this mistake just cost me £180 yay

also i noticed older cymbals tend to crack after many years all my new cymbals are fine only my old second hand stuff broke after many years of abuse i have since changed my style (sticks used to last about 30 mins if lucky)

also do it quick if you spot a little crack / chip this will grow fast so do it quick and you can save em

Loge

About 12 years ago I cracked the top cymbal of a fine pair of Paiste 602 Sound Edge hi hats - some of the last they made (sob). Couldn't see just pitching it in the waste can. Luckily I had access to an upright metal cutting bandsaw in the machine shop of the lab I worked at. Scribing the first lathe line past the crack gave me a guide to cut it downsmoothly and quickly. Since the cymbal lay flat on the cutting bed it made for a even cut. After that just a little polishing of the edge. I now have a unique 11.75" effects cymbal -played light, has a "clock chime" sound, Bell cuts like a mini ride (sorta' like Nutha describes) and turns out to be a very loud splash/crash. Bandsaw made it easy.
Oh, and I mated the intact Sound Edge bottom with a Sound Creation heavy top (same alloy) for the best hat sound I've ever had. Anyone need a Sound Creation Heavy bottom? (Just Kidding).

Attachments

Last edited:
M

mediocrefunkybeat

It slightly pains me to see a 602 in that condition *wipes a tear from his eye* but at least it was broken first and it's still going to good use.

Loge

Yeah, it hurt when I saw the damage. Thought about the "hole and wedge" repair method discussed above. If it had been anything but a top hat, I would have done it. The crack was pretty extensive -almost 2 inches - Couldn't see it standing up to the abuse a hat cymbal takes as well as the constant rotation they make. I'm not a hard hitter by any means -in fact was using it in an electric jazz group. Made me rethink my cymbal technique. Sure don't want to break my Sig fast crashes!!!!

Found a 602 top on ebay yesterday - thought for a minute but decided I'm more than satisfied with my current combination.

Last edited:

PdoubleE

I was just wondering....is it bad that i didnt cut a V shape...just a straight section......the reason i did this is because it dosent take out as much metal....therfor i thought that it would make it so that it barley looses any sound.....Dose this make the cymbal weaker?
heres a pic......

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the diagram, Nutha Jason. That is really useful, I have a bunch of old cymbals and recently cracked one. Thanks to you I can make it a splash. And my older chipped ride can see the daylight again. Thank you.

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
I was just wondering....is it bad that i didnt cut a V shape...just a straight section......the reason i did this is because it dosent take out as much metal....therfor i thought that it would make it so that it barley looses any sound.....Dose this make the cymbal weaker?
heres a pic......
bronze is surprizingly strong...used to be used for sword before iron and if you ever tin snip it you will find out. it shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.

Thank you so much for the diagram, Nutha Jason. That is really useful, I have a bunch of old cymbals and recently cracked one. Thanks to you I can make it a splash. And my older chipped ride can see the daylight again. Thank you.
a pleasure...please post pictures of your results - perhaps before and after pics? and let us know of any experiences you gained.

j

¿making hi hats into quick beats?

has anybody drilled 4 holes on the bottom hat to make them like quick beats? if so, how did they sound at the end? im thinking about doing that to my hats to have a faster, cleaner chick.

BrianW

Re: ¿making hi hats into quick beats?

I did this the other night after reading your post. It turned out a success. I drilled two holes in the bottom of my sabian pros. Im probably going to drill two more to see if i can get more of an effect. The sound is not extremely obvious right now (my guitarist couldnt tell the difference)... but i noticed it. I really think it made my hats sound better. Make sure that if you do this you have good drill bits. I started using an old bit (it was the only one i could find) and after about an hour my guitarist told me he had a new set in his car. The new bits went through like butter.
Anyway, i can now proudly say i have sabian quick beats.

cool! i didn't want to do it without not knowing the outcome. now reading that it was a sucess, im goin to do that to my hats now. i don't have the money for quick beats but now i can make my own!

BrianW

Awsome, drill two holes before four (just to make sure you dont get too much of an effect). Let me know how they turn out.

Garvin

Pioneer Member

Does that just make the air pass through faster? How does it affect the stick sound?

TitanSound

Pioneer Member

Yeah get a nice tight chick from the quick air release due to the holes.

I own a 14" pair of Quick Beats and they are great!

RudimentalDrummer

Pioneer Member

BrianW said:
Anyway, i can now proudly say i have sabian quick beats.
I just saw Sabain Hi-Hats with 4 holes at the bottom of the Hi-Hats...It's an original piece offered by the distributor here...I think it's an old Hi-hat...but Sabian does make it.

RudimentalDrummer

Pioneer Member

I guess you have to be very careful in drilling the holes as you won't want to damaged the Hi-hat.

Anyway the Holes I saw on the Sabian Hi-Hats is app...about 2cm in diameter about 11cm away from the centre of the 14" hi-hat.

biscut

What is the hole diameter and spacing from the center for quick beats?

blu

do quick beats sound good for rock? what style are they made for?

RudimentalDrummer

Pioneer Member

Quick-Beat are definetely...Nice Sounding Hats.... I do not know the holes demension...But I remember somewhere there is a thread and something written & picture about this Quick-Beat Hats.